Kindness & Generosity, C63 RAFFLE, Delivered

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Kindness & Generosity, C63 RAFFLE, Delivered

Post by Richard D »

On the 14th October 2021, I started a thread in which I thanked Mike France for introducing me to Wessex Watches, whom I had wanted to contact with the intention to make a bespoke watch that could be auctioned for an acute NHS hospital. Fast forward to now, Jamie at Wessex Watches has unfortunately been forced into early retirement. It’s very sad, Jamie is a thoroughly decent person and considered as one of the best British watchmakers. Alongside Roger Smith and Mike France, Jamie is a founder member of the Alliance of British Watch & Clock Makers. Jamie’s watches are unique and were made to order. Such were the designs and build quality that only one watch had ever been returned for repair and that was an early commission. It’s a testament to Jamie’s knowledge, skills and enthusiasm. 

Despite producing an exquisite design Jamie was unable to fulfil his promise to make a watch for the auction, periods of ill health made it impossible. Still, I will never forget his kindness and the hours we spent in his studio putting the world to rights. 

This is where Mike France and the team at Christopher Ward stepped in. They have generously donated a prototype of their C63 Sealander Sapphire Bronze watch. It’s a fantastic watch, an absolute joy. The watch will be raffled with all proceeds donated to my local NHS hospital.  

On behalf of the charity (League of Friends of Reading Hospitals) I want acknowledge Mike’s kindness and to wish Jamie all the very best in his retirement. 

PLEASE SEE RAFFLE LINK: https://app.galabid.com/christopherwardwatch

We are first offering tickets to those who are interested in CW watches before going public on other platforms.

91467020-079A-4B2F-B7B0-FE62E1BC2F24.jpeg
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post (total 18):
jkbarnestikkathreeAmor Vincit OmniaMacdazDavid. SscooterMiniMpiCallerwelshladthomcat00 and 8 more users
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Kindness & Generosity goes a long way

Post by jkbarnes »

Wonderful story, Richard. Thanks for sharing. I hope the auction generates a good amount for the charity.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 3):
Richard DJasperCatROF68
Drew
BobMunro
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by BobMunro »

You are correct, Richard - kindness and generosity (particularly of spirit) does indeed go a very long way.

A heart warming story. Very well done to all involved (that of course includes you!) and best wishes to Jamie.
These users thanked the author BobMunro for the post:
Richard D
Time flies whether you're having fun or not. The choice is yours.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Generous indeed. A lovely story, Richard. Thank you for sharing it.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
Richard D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Richard D wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:59 pm On the 14th October 2021, I started a thread in which I thanked Mike France for introducing me to Wessex Watches, whom I had wanted to contact with the intention to make a bespoke watch that could be auctioned for an acute NHS hospital. Fast forward to now, Jamie at Wessex Watches has unfortunately been forced into early retirement. It’s very sad, Jamie is a thoroughly decent person and considered as one of the best British watchmakers. Alongside Roger Smith and Mike France, Jamie is a founder member of the Alliance of British Watch & Clock Makers. Jamie’s watches are unique and were made to order. Such were the designs and build quality that only one watch had ever been returned for repair and that was an early commission. It’s a testament to Jamie’s knowledge, skills and enthusiasm. 

Despite producing an exquisite design Jamie was unable to fulfil his promise to make a watch for the auction, periods of ill health made it impossible. Still, I will never forget his kindness and the hours we spent in his studio putting the world to rights. 

This is where Mike France and the team at Christopher Ward stepped in. They have generously donated a prototype of their C63 Sealander Sapphire Bronze watch. It’s a fantastic watch, an absolute joy. The watch will be raffled with all proceeds donated to my local NHS hospital.  

On behalf of the charity (League of Friends of Reading Hospitals) I want acknowledge Mike’s kindness and to wish Jamie all the very best in his retirement. 
I need a website now, Richard to get a ticket. It will look good on the patio table of my Omaze house. :D
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
Richard D
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

JAFO wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:18 pm
I need a website now, Richard to get a ticket. It will look good on the patio table of my Omaze house. :D
There will be an opportunity to buy a raffle ticket online but, before then I’m having the watch photographed for our website and social media platforms. Interested parties can PM.
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post:
JAFO
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Sorry to hear about Jamie's ill health and retirement, Richard.

It's great that CW have helped out by donating a prototype to be raffled off. Good luck with the raffle.
These users thanked the author welshlad for the post:
Richard D
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

welshlad wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:03 pm Sorry to hear about Jamie's ill health and retirement, Richard.

It's great that CW have helped out by donating a prototype to be raffled off. Good luck with the raffle.
I’m fortunate that Mike introduced me to Jamie. I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone with his knowledge and skills. He is a huge loss to British watchmaking.

Thank you for your good wishes.
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post (total 2):
welshladjkbarnes
Richard

Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

Just received an email to say expect delivery of the C63 Sealander Sapphire Bronze prototype tomorrow. Hopefully it will raise some interest and funds for charity.
Amor Vincit OmniaMiniMpi
Richard

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Excellent. Please keep us informed.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
Richard D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:34 am Excellent. Please keep us informed.
Will do, I plan to publish photographs and details of how to buy a raffle ticket on various social media platforms. Hoping that this forum will allow me a link to be placed here. Otherwise, people can email me and I will provide details.

Thanks.
Richard

thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

Sorry to learn of the illness behind the Wessex founder’s retirement. Hope you have a successful fundraiser for your event, Richard. Glad to hear Mike F stepped in with support for you and your cause.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
Richard D
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

I am so sorry to hear of illness and retirement of such a great artisan, but I hope that the community generosity can unite to raise funds for worthy causes.
Please keep us posted and keep well,
C
These users thanked the author Jcalder68 for the post:
Richard D
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

I received some good news this morning, the C63 Sealander Sapphire Bronze prototype will be delivered today. Just in time to launch a raffle.
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post:
MiniMpi
Richard

Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Kindness & Generosity (now with a photograph)

Post by Richard D »

Now with a photograph attached to the original post.
JAFOMiniMpi
Richard