Trident Pro 300 Preview

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Trident Pro 300 Preview

Post by tikkathree »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:58 am ^^^ I know. I’ve heard about people buying swimming watches without intending to wear them for swimming. Weirdos. :wink:
That's (a) crazy and (b) horologically cruel.

Surely we owe it to our dive watches to keep them alive by occasional immersion. All that technology designed to function in water, deep water, it stands to reason that like a car negligently immersed in seawater quickly goes wrong, a dive watch needs immersion to maintain complete functionality?

If you don't exercise a racehorse it loses muscle and performance.

If you don't sweep the chimney it gets full of birds' nests.

If you don't eat cake it goes mouldy.

I wet my dive watches regularly and, well, they're all still working. :) :) :)
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post (total 2):
Amor Vincit OmniaJcalder68
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:54 pm
missF wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:13 pm But to welcome people in I think the trident 300 is fantastic. A distilled beautiful thing bringing together a lot of features that make up the DNA of CW, including accessibility and response to customers. Exercised down to a slim 300m WR and looking lean.
I think that sums it up perfectly! I think this watch is the perfect summation, the ultimate expression of CW as a brand at this point in time.
Yep, agree with both of these comments. This is a strong suite from CW, probably equal to the launch of the Sealander range. These are fine watches at a very good price point. It's so nice to see the logo discussion that blighted CW seemingly disappear, certainly on Instagram and, for the time being, on here. The twin flags, I think, will possibly become as synonymous as the light catcher case. I now find that there are two, three, perhaps four watches from the current CW range that REALLY grab my attention. :D

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
watchaholic
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

golfjunky wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:13 am
TheBeatles wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:15 pm

Such a shame to have to buy a great watch and immediately think of buying a strap alternative.
Such a shame this is too true
I can’t help but feel that they’ve brought out a great new range but cobbled together the strap options from stock lying around.
These users thanked the author TheBeatles for the post:
golfjunky
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

missF wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:13 pm I think the trident 300 has arrived at a good time for any watch lovers who have passed CW by previously because they didn’t get on with previous logos / changing logos. There certainly seems to be people around the net sounding a bit more engaged due to the swoosh. This is just my limited view of course.

But to welcome people in I think the trident 300 is fantastic. A distilled beautiful thing bringing together a lot of features that make up the DNA of CW, including accessibility and response to customers. Exercised down to a slim 300m WR and looking lean.
Yep there is certainly positive comment over on TZ-UK.
https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php? ... s-Released

Looking at the user names who have posted on the thread, there are a fair few who IIRC have far more illustrious watches in their collections.

Someone even said that they prefer CW to any other brand that they have handled in the price range up to £1k.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
BeardoCI
Junior
Junior

Post by BeardoCI »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:58 am ^^^ I know. I’ve heard about people buying swimming watches without intending to wear them for swimming. Weirdos. :wink:
Madness.

Admittedly my C60 only 'went swimming' because despite having been on a kayak many times before, I, um, kind of made a hash of getting in it. But swimming it has been, and seems absolutely grateful for the accidental opportunity.
Didier.O
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Didier.O »

MrMadKingsley wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:03 am I wish they would do the same upgrade on the chronograph models...... like slimming the size down
That's been my main expectation for a while now. I really like the overall design of the C60 chronograph (the black and yellow one), but at 42mm and 15+mm thickness, it's a hard no.

And I wonder whether, since chronographs probably aren't huge sellers for them anyway, CW could perhaps 'let go' and again foray into the rare (for them) £2500+ territory and come up with a 40mm/sub 13mm thick. With a mvt that has more than 38hrs of power reserve. I'd pay a good premium for that.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

A lot of brands sell chronographs but very few brands sell a lot of them.

I think you'd have to find a chronograph movement that is slimmer than the Valjoux 775X movement to get the thickness down. Either that or accept a Speedmaster like water resistance. My Seamaster chronograph with a 300m water resistance is 17+ mm for example.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
wilson_358

Post by wilson_358 »

To me personally the best feature of this release is the dial: the logo and its location. The worst feature is the case back. The original case back is incomparably better.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

The Valjoux in question is 7.9mm thick. The hand wound version (7733) is 6 mm. Making it 300 m WR and using the hand wound option would bring it down to about 13-14 mm I would think. That is Speedmaster territory with the sapphire coming in at ~13.5mm.

Looking around I tried to find a two register chrono that was on the thinner side.

Looks like the Longines Heritage Chrono comes in at 13.6 mm and is an auto.

The movement looks like a ETA 2894-2. It is tough to tell with Swatch group because they obfuscate all of the movements with internal part numbers. The movement in question comes in at 6.1mm.

The WR is 30m which is where the bulk of the thickness savings comes from most likely.

Given the availability of the movements (which is far from a sure thing) a 200-300 m WR automatic in at 14 mm or 14.5 mm I think is possible.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
ttlpjh

Post by ttlpjh »

My trident pro 600 looks like a mass of white lines now compared to this, with the hour markers and the lines around the bezel. Prefer the look of the 300.
David. S
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by David. S »

I really think the pro 300 is a fantastic watch, my only dilemma is do I jump on the first cosc option they release, or wait for an sh21 model..........

David.
Didier.O
Senior
Senior

Post by Didier.O »

David. S wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:33 pm I really think the pro 300 is a fantastic watch, my only dilemma is do I jump on the first cosc option they release, or wait for an sh21 model..........

David.
Im now torn between pulling the plug on a black dial Sealander 36mm and the white dial Pro 300 38mm. Needless to say that a 5-day power reserve would just end the hesitation.
These users thanked the author Didier.O for the post:
David. S
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

The Sh21 movement is large and the minimum size case it can fit into is 40mm.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

I’m looking forward to seeing a Pro 300, in the metal, a few weeks time. By the photographs and what I’ve read I’m sure I will be impressed.
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post:
MiniMpi
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Didier.O
Senior
Senior

Post by Didier.O »

asqwerth wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:56 am The Sh21 movement is large and the minimum size case it can fit into is 40mm.
Bummer, didnt know that. Ill have to make peace with 38hrs, or go with smth else. Shame.