The Definitive Nerd Thread

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Re: The Definitive Nerd Thread

Post by thomcat00 »

I don’t have any pics but my first car in the eighties I augmented with a console around the shifter through to the front seats. I had toggle switches wired up to “enable” gauges so that I could measure if my atomic batteries were to charge and if turbines were up to speed. (Bonus geek points if you know the reference.) As a child I also watched Speed Racer and the special functions on the Mach 5’s steering wheel were features I wanted in a car. :)

Other than that, again no pics, but I built my model rocket launch controller in 1981 to enable control for three rockets (or a cluster of three engines in a single rocket) so that I could launch my full stack Space Shuttle, adapted to have powered boosters in addition to the engine.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post (total 3):
jkbarnesStifSoporsche
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

^^^
Do you remember the little sound synthesiser you could buy for your car that allowed you to make laser gun, rocket and blasting sounds so you could imagine you were shooting other cars off the road in a sci fi type way?
My mate was an electronics wiz and somehow wired it up to an amp, stereo, external speaker behind the front grille and a sequence of labelled push buttons on the dash. Fabulous!! Hadn't thought of this for years until thomcat00's above post. 😁
These users thanked the author Soporsche for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesthomcat00
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Stif wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:18 pm but that in itself isn't too nerdy. You see, I'd rather just use an app for this, but whilst there seems to be a decent one available for iOS, I couldn't find anything for Android...so I figured I'd just build my own

Oh, you know how to create your own mobile OS apps? Think you could manage something like I’ve described below? I admit, I t’s a little different from tracking watches. 8) :lol:
You know, I have an idea to carry my “modification” a bit further. It would be a hardware/OS app combo. The hardware would be a small Bluetooth enabled mini joystick (I know they exist in the perfect size….because I bought one at Radio Shack) with a little button on the top that can fit in a drink holder of a car. The app would access a phone’s camera and connect to the joystick. Mount the phone in a phone holder on the dash, open the app, and then a crosshair shows up on the phone screen! Aim with the joystick then destroy your enemies! The basic app comes with machine guns, but the weapons system can be upgraded in app - missiles, oil, flame thrower, whatever.
Drew
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Stif »

ha! I bet I could get the phone talking to the joystick at least :lol: But doubt Google or Apple would let me publish an app that was meant to be played while driving!

I reckon the easier next steps though would be to wire up a system to spill oil or spikes behind the car though - I bet building an actual ejector seat wouldn't be too much effort, just an old airbag, some loosened nuts and a switch! :lol:
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Developer of mobile watch app WristCheck - find out more at wristcheck.app
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Stif wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:49 pm ha! I bet I could get the phone talking to the joystick at least :lol: But doubt Google or Apple would let me publish an app that was meant to be played while driving!

I reckon the easier next steps though would be to wire up a system to spill oil or spikes behind the car though - I bet building an actual ejector seat wouldn't be too much effort, just an old airbag, some loosened nuts and a switch! :lol:
Yeah, I imagine that would be a challenge. :lol: A guy can dream though.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Stif
Drew
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Stif wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:49 pm ha! I bet I could get the phone talking to the joystick at least :lol: But doubt Google or Apple would let me publish an app that was meant to be played while driving!

Shear bolts might be the order of the day :thumbup:
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesStif
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

Stif wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:18 pm Been questioning whether to post in this thread (for fear that it sets some expectations and means I might actually have to finish something I start...) but in the vein of openness and nerdiness:

I've been keeping a spreadsheet and a wee graph of the watches I've been wearing this year, because (spoiler alert) stats are interesting:
Screenshot 2022-08-03 at 16.02.17.png

but that in itself isn't too nerdy. You see, I'd rather just use an app for this, but whilst there seems to be a decent one available for iOS, I couldn't find anything for Android...so I figured I'd just build my own (although as a bonus it's actually cross platform, so should work just as well on both!)

Screenshot_20220803-155852.png

It's a long way from finished (and as hinted at above, might never be :lol:) but I'm having fun with it! It's far enough along that it lets you store a collection and a wishlist, but planning to add the ability to track what you're wearing and pull out some graphs by month/year. The beauty is that once you start collecting data, then you've got loads of options of what you can then do with it (track expenditure, profit/loss, cost per wear, most/least worn watches, favourites etc)
Nerd, you say? OK, I didn’t build my own, but I do record my daily wear in the OnMyWrist app, then extract the data and chart my annual usage….
6A6F3ED2-8E71-4779-A0A5-B27D11977061.jpeg
These users thanked the author 0uatiOW for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesStif
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

There were a few posts around the new year of similar charts which is what made me want to do the same - annoyingly there's no Android equivalent of OnMyWrist that I can find! :(
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Unfortunately, the OnMyWrist app leaves out us that change up during the day. You can only enter one watch per day (at least when I last looked at it). I contacted the developer about it and he said it was something he was looking into but didn't have any timeframes.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Apart from a watch collection I couldn’t find any signs of nerdiness in my life. No other collections, no interesting tech, no hats. I can’t code and I don’t roast my own coffee beans.....

.... so I’ve just signed up to OnMyWrist to gather statistics to tell my friends about... :oops: :lol:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
0uatiOW
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Stif »

rkovars wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:03 pm Unfortunately, the OnMyWrist app leaves out us that change up during the day. You can only enter one watch per day (at least when I last looked at it). I contacted the developer about it and he said it was something he was looking into but didn't have any timeframes.
The good news is that mine should cover that no bother... the bad news is it'll probably never see the light of day 😂

(So far its at the point where you can add, but not yet edit, watch info to a collection, wishlist or 'sold' list. Working on building out the metadata associated with watches now...once that's done it'll really just be a case of making it draw pretty graphs... So give me another 3 months...)
- Grant

missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Stif wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:03 am
(So far its at the point where you can add, but not yet edit, watch info to a collection, wishlist or 'sold' list. Working on building out the metadata associated with watches now...once that's done it'll really just be a case of making it draw pretty graphs... So give me another 3 months...)
Do we need a column for shoe colour?? :lol:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
Stif
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

missF wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:20 am Do we need a column for shoe colour?? :lol:
May prove tricky, if the left and right shoes from a pair were slightly different. :)
4928A99B-86A0-43EF-9699-E9BD334E6EE7.jpeg
missF wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:59 pm .... so I’ve just signed up to OnMyWrist to gather statistics to tell my friends about... :oops: :lol:
Trust.Me.This.Is.Not.A.Good.Idea! :lol:

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post:
Stif
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

missF wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:20 am
Stif wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:03 am
Do we need a column for shoe colour?? :lol:

Only as long as you can add two pairs each day. Some of us wear a different pair for work. And what about slippers?
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

nbg wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:58 pm
missF wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:59 pm .... so I’ve just signed up to OnMyWrist to gather statistics to tell my friends about... :oops: :lol:
Trust.Me.This.Is.Not.A.Good.Idea! :lol:
Good point. My watch collection‘s relationship with my friends is already creaky! :lol: