Every collection *needs* a Seiko...

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Every collection *needs* a Seiko...

Post by jkbarnes »

I should have mentioned that 3 of my 5 watches are Seikos!
Drew
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

I like the “every collection needs a…” lists as it gives me ideas of what to look for in the watch market. The “needs a” never drives my buying decisions on its own. I buy the, “ooh, this interests me,” when and if I can afford it. I own a Seiko, but it is a gold two-hander fancy one; I do not have an interest in Seiko divers so no SKX for me. I’ve had the Seiko since it was a gift for my 18th birthday.

Similarly, I have an Omega dress watch, also a gift. I am a space nut, and thought I wanted (needed?) a Speedmaster, because, you know, Space/Moon/Astronauts. I still like them but I don’t feel the need to own one anymore after a number of years of internal deliberations. Cool watches, cool associations. That’s not enough for me to spend that much for a watch I don’t think I’d fully enjoy to wear as much as I’d enjoy to own. Having it sit like an art piece doesn’t sit well with me.

Other watches I own check many boxes of “musts” but it isn’t the “needs” driven buying that the WIS or YouTubers try to stimulate.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
iain
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Internaut
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Internaut »

I certainly feel my accumulation needs a Japanese watch at some point.
These users thanked the author Internaut for the post:
thomcat00
Beat up vintage Swatch Irony, C5 Malvern (the original), Swiss Military Swiss Soldier Quartz, Seagull 1963, Swatch Blurang Automatic, Swatch Cafe de Flore, Sealander GMT, Trident Pro 600, Fitbit Charge 5. Festina 8810, Addiesdive AD2113 knock off.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Internaut wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:28 am accumulation...
Perfect! The exact word to describe the watches I own- I’ll not need to use ‘collection’ ever again :thumbup:
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 2):
InternautStif
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I've never thought along the lines of needing a particular style or brand of watch.

It's now more a case of I like the look of that, let the idea fester for a while, try said watch on in person ideally, maybe even then sleep on it for a while.

In the past I often bought on a whim hence the collection has had not far shy of 50 watches that came and went.

Lately though it has been much more considered and there hasn't been a lot of change. There is one particular watch that I've admired for a long time that is on its way to me in a few weeks time, hopefully I get on with it and it stays!

I have owned a couple of Seikos - a Presage Cocktail time which I sold to partly fund something else but nice watch, and a Baby Turtle which I just didn't wear. Just remembered I had a GS too if that counts but found it a little too dressy and small for my tastes at the time. Definitely a brand I will likely re-visit at some point in the future.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

missF wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:29 am
Internaut wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:28 am accumulation...
Perfect! The exact word to describe the watches I own- I’ll not need to use ‘collection’ ever again :thumbup:
"Accumulation": I'm afraid that for me this word brings to mind images of fluffballs under the domestic furniture? bits of windblown vegetation in those tricky-to-reach parts of a car's interior? That ever-growing pile of empty watch boxes holding the roof down? Part packets of flower seed in the garden shed?

But the Seiko thing? I don't suppose that seiko-powered microbrands count? What about Seiko-homagery watch cases from China? (Say, who knew that China makes watch cases for some very fine brands :lol: ?) Nope? Oh well I'll always carry my own "first ever watch" Seiko and my long term "only watch" Seiko Flightmaster. Oh good that's got her done: what's next?

How about "Every watch collector/accumulator has got to have a lust for a XXXXXX?" I could start this off with Zenith, Grand Seiko, :oops: :oops: Is that all? Yes, really I think it is. These two......... or maybe three?

Oh maybe this rascal too whilst I'm firmly in lust mode:

C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by biggus_richus »

Every collection needs a yellow watch. Yellow watches are cool.
D3D8F05D-4C2E-4FDF-95BD-8FF7760F856D.jpeg
These users thanked the author biggus_richus for the post (total 4):
asqwerthjkbarnestikkathreeSoporsche
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I remember that SKX 013 Lindsey, it served you well. :thumbup: :thumbup:

As to Seikos, I've owned several many over the years. I still have a Seiko Digital Alarm Chronograph that my Parents gifted to me for my 18th(?) birthday. Then there's a blue & gold SQ100 that my late wife gifted to me in 1990.

In my early days on this Forum I was learning about mechanical watches, divers and stuff, and reckoned that it was a rite of passage to own an Orange Monster; subsequently sold but I bought a replacement later, which also got sold.

At one stage I felt I *needed* to collect an example of each of the C6 Kingfisher models; I didn't make it to a full set and sold them off. Then there are the Forum LEs; I've managed to get most, but not all; maybe I'll sell these too.

Returning to Seikos, I've been through Samurai, Tuna, SKXs and others with my latest acquisition being a Sumo

My current *need* is for the CW JJ Movements, at least one of each. I'm working on that. :-k :-k

Guy
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
Gar787
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Bayoubob

Post by Bayoubob »

I agree, every collection needs a Seiko... and a Grand Seiko!
Attachments
GS--sbgv243.jpg
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

i've never bought into the "collection needs XX" argument.

i buy what i like, regardless of what anyone else thinks. i mean, i'll take advice on alternatives and quality. but, for example, i don't really have any desire for a chronograph and many people would tell you your collection is incomplete without one.
These users thanked the author gwells for the post:
rkovars
the "g" is for Greg...
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

I run on my wants rather than external “needs,” and similarly, I don’t employ occasions or events to drive purchases. For me it is more of the, “ooh, that’s nice!” motivation for a purchase. :)

What I desire isn’t necessarily a push for someone else to have acquire the same or a similar watch.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

This is a subject I've struggled with.
My motivations for a watch generally fall into two camps.
1. I just like it (a lot!) and know I will enjoy wearing it. This is mostly the case, simply that.
2. I'm fascinated by the story behind it as well as loving the watch. This generally is required for more expensive pieces. Grand Seiko Spring Drive and the Moonwatch being prime examples. To be honest, I guess the story kind of 'justifies' going ahead with the purchase, and no regrets.

To your point: I have forever it seems been truly in awe of "high horology" - the art, craft, skill, history, behind it. It's necessarily an expensive proposition, even if not as expensive as it commonly is in my opinion. A wealthy person's game, and I'm not.
I absolutely know what watch that would be for me, just wow, and saving for it is a realistic if lengthy idea, but the burning question is "Is it a matter of my collection 'needing/deserving of' such a piece?" Or am I simply submitting to the rabbit hole just in the proposition?

Edit: my collection 'had to have a G Shock" and I hardly ever wear it. I have to pull the manual out to do ANYthing with it.
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.