Wimbledon 2022 Thread

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Wimbledon 2022 Thread

Post by strapline »

Thegreyman wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:52 pm I do give Kygrios a slight chance in the final, he certainly has the weapons of a powerful serve and groundstrokes to give Djokovic something to worry about. Interestingly Kygrios leads their head to head record 2-0, not many players can boast that vs Djokovic.
I agree Patrick, Kygrios has all the tools but Novak has perhaps the most important: he knows what it takes to win. And his conditioning is second to none. Should be a great final.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

This is first for me!! I usually root for someone.

I don’t want either of them to win :shock:
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

TheBeatles wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:11 pm This is first for me!! I usually root for someone.

I am not liking the fact I have to cheer on djokovic :(
Cheers now, Paul
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

stefs wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:17 pm
TheBeatles wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:11 pm This is first for me!! I usually root for someone.

Lesser of 2 evils, Paul, I guess
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

stefs wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:17 pm

I am not liking the fact I have to cheer on kyrgios. :lol:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

What a cry baby, Kyrgios. Well that break came out of nowhere. Forza, Novak.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

I was around when McEnroe first arrived on the tennis scene in 1977 but he was nothing compared to this guy.

Babies, dummies and pushchairs all seem rather fitting along with the phrase 'man up.'

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

I think he definitely overdid it, probably to push the Netflix show they're filming around him.
I found him rather entertaining with some of those trickshots, but he overdid the moaning, which spoilt my opinion of him somewhat.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

This video link contains tennis. Avoid like the plague if you have had an adverse reaction before. This presentation is not being funded by your license fee!

This popped up in my YouTube video suggestions, it's when Murray won Wimbledon for the first time in 2013 against Djkovovic. It's the final game of the match and is well worth a revisit for its drama and unbelievable tennis. Years and years of Henman just failing to get across the line; we were seriously beginning to think we weren't made of the right stuff. Fourteen minutes of magic and a long, long, long time coming.
https://youtu.be/Lww-hJ4LdTo
These users thanked the author strapline for the post (total 2):
gannetSoporsche
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
ROF68
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 9

Post by ROF68 »

Not sure if I should respond to this thread, or start a new one titled "Wimbledon 2023" -- admins, please feel free to adjust as necessary.

Anyway, there's a chance my wife and I will be heading across the pond during Wimbledon this coming summer -- Wimbledon won't be the only reason, but it is a bucket list item for us as we're big tennis fans. If we do make the trip, any counsel or advice about things to do while we take in some of the tournament? Other than watch tennis, I mean. . . ; ) We'll also make a stop to CW HQ at Maidenhead -- at least I plan to. Other ideas or recommendations in the London/Oxford areas also welcomed, and we may also try to get up to Edinburgh. Thanks for the suggestions!
Tim
“It isn’t much good having anything exciting, if you can’t share it with somebody.” —Winnie the Pooh

Trident Pro 300 | C60 Atoll | C63 Sealander (x2) | C63 Highlander | C65 Sandhurst | C65 Trident Auto | C65 Trident GMT | C65 Anthropocene
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Wimbledon: I am pretty sure you would need to apply for seats well in advance. There is a ballot for seats. You can join queues to get daily ground entry, but I believe they are long. If money isn't too much of an issue, you can queue jump with hospitality packages, or buy from ticket agencies. Wimbledon is 3-16th July this year. If you are here slightly earlier then Royal Ascot (near Windsor Castle) is 20th to 24th June, with similar ticket arrangements. Some enclosures need formal dress. (top hat and tails)

Loads to see in London, much of it free. The free stuff, museums, parks, Greenwich etc is probably as good as a lot of the paid stuff.
I won't mention anything in particular, as there's so much.

Edinburgh is a fair old way to go from London.

Have a great time.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
ROF68
ROF68
Senior
Senior

Post by ROF68 »

JAFO wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:33 pm Wimbledon: I am pretty sure you would need to apply for seats well in advance. There is a ballot for seats. You can join queues to get daily ground entry, but I believe they are long. If money isn't too much of an issue, you can queue jump with hospitality packages, or buy from ticket agencies. Wimbledon is 3-16th July this year. If you are here slightly earlier then Royal Ascot (near Windsor Castle) is 20th to 24th June, with similar ticket arrangements. Some enclosures need formal dress. (top hat and tails)

Loads to see in London, much of it free. The free stuff, museums, parks, Greenwich etc is probably as good as a lot of the paid stuff.
I won't mention anything in particular, as there's so much.

Have a great time.
Thank you!
Tim
“It isn’t much good having anything exciting, if you can’t share it with somebody.” —Winnie the Pooh

Trident Pro 300 | C60 Atoll | C63 Sealander (x2) | C63 Highlander | C65 Sandhurst | C65 Trident Auto | C65 Trident GMT | C65 Anthropocene
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

JAFO wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:33 pm
4.5 hours on the train, city centre to city centre. Still do-able and well worth a visit of course!
These users thanked the author Thegreyman for the post:
ROF68
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Oxford is well worth a day (or two). A lot of the colleges are open in the afternoon; some (usually the richer ones - go figure) charge silly money, but some of the smaller medieval colleges are very pretty and still free to visit. You can visit the Sheldonian Theatre (a Christopher Wren masterpiece) and take a guided tour of the Bodleian Library.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/visitors/visiting- ... -colleges

In June you might be able to hire a punt from the public boathouse on the River Cherwell at Magdalen (pronounced Maudlin) Bridge, the University Parks are lovely and there are some fantastic traditional pubs.

PM if you want more tips.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
ROF68
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
ROF68
Senior
Senior

Post by ROF68 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:00 pm Oxford is well worth a day (or two). A lot of the colleges are open in the afternoon; some (usually the richer ones - go figure) charge silly money, but some of the smaller medieval colleges are very pretty and still free to visit. You can visit the Sheldonian Theatre (a Christopher Wren masterpiece) and take a guided tour of the Bodleian Library.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/visitors/visiting- ... -colleges

In June you might be able to hire a punt from the public boathouse on the River Cherwell at Magdalen (pronounced Maudlin) Bridge, the University Parks are lovely and there are some fantastic traditional pubs.

PM if you want more tips.
Thanks, and will do!
Tim