Wimbledon 2022 Thread

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Wimbledon 2022 Thread

Post by strapline »

Has anyone spared a thought for poor Boris? I bet he's glad there's tennis on the Beeb. No commentary gig or sitting in the players' box this year.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I noticed The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in the box with Tim Henman yesterday.

I don't know whether it was carefully edited, but Tim was rabbiting on to Kate every time they showed them on TV. A few minutes later, Tim and Prince William had swapped over, and Tim was rabbiting on to Wills instead!

I am not sure who it was, but the Beeb had another commentator with a German accent to stand in for Boris. Maybe I'm dreaming, because I cant see a name in the list of pundit.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

nburgess wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:55 am
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:11 am Back on the subject of Wimbledon, what a fantastic result yesterday for Cameron Norrie to get through to the Men's Semi-Finals but . . .
. . . he's got to play Novak Djokovic. :shock: :shock:

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk
Although Novak hasn't been in exactly vintage form so far in this tournament...I think even if he has another slightly off day, he'll be too much for Norrie. Hope I'm wrong though.
I also hope that if both Nadal & Kyrgios come through today, which I suspect they will, that Nadal spanks Kyrgios & dumps him out of the tournament.
I don't buy into him being good for the sport...as he comes across as a horrid individual. His 'performance' against Tsitsipas was shameful.
I'm all for bringing interest to the game..but not in the way he does it.
Just to take it a bit further a part of the bbc coverage should be kyrgios strapped to the centre of the net and rafa having 100 tennis balls to smash into him from about 5 yards or so. Now that would be worth the price of the tv license!
FS Bremont solo 37
Cheers now, Paul
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I can't believe it's doing Nadal any good to continue playing while injured.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

I think that it's good for the game of tennis to see volunteer officials, without whom the matches could not be played, being humiliated.

If spectators who have paid to see these players have taken time out from their humdrum jobs, especially till attenders, they should expect to be spat at.

Plebs!

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

stefs wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:34 pm
Just to take it a bit further a part of the bbc coverage should be kyrgios strapped to the centre of the net and rafa having 100 tennis balls to smash into him from about 5 yards or so. Now that would be worth the price of the tv license!
Now that they both won their matches today, Rafa will be able to smash into him in the semi....sounds painful :lol:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

I believe Nadal and Kyrgios have some "history" so that could be a spicy semi-final to watch.

Worth every penny of my TV license fee. ;)
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

welshlad wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:11 pm Worth every penny of my TV license fee. ;)
And footy every night as well. :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Damn!! Rafa has pulled out of Wimbledon with injury issues. Was really looking forward to a possible final with Novak.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Yes it’s a pity but he obviously didn’t feel he would do himself justice and likely put himself out for a few months by making the injury worse.

So a walkover for Kygrios into the final, a colourful and controversial character.

I’d be shocked if Cam Norrie can beat Djokovic although I’d like to see it. Very difficult to see past Nole winning his 7th Wimbledon title.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Great start for Norrie but gifted Djokovic a break in the second set and thereafter it was fairly one sided. Great tournament for Norrie though.

I do give Kygrios a slight chance in the final, he certainly has the weapons of a powerful serve and groundstrokes to give Djokovic something to worry about. Interestingly Kygrios leads their head to head record 2-0, not many players can boast that vs Djokovic.
These users thanked the author Thegreyman for the post:
strapline
Patrick

JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

JAFO wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:07 pm
I am not sure who it was, but the Beeb had another commentator with a German accent to stand in for Boris. Maybe I'm dreaming, because I cant see a name in the list of pundit.
Re this. It turned out be Feliciano Lopez, so Spanish rather than German.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

After tomorrow, I can concentrate on the last two weeks of the Tour De France, where Pogacar appears to still be pretty well unbeatable.
malvern_man
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by malvern_man »

JAFO wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:27 pm After tomorrow, I can concentrate on the last two weeks of the Tour De France, where Pogacar appears to still be pretty well unbeatable.
I tend to agree, I think Geraint Thomas will do well but won't overhaul Pogacar unless something drastic happens to him.

It's not the same not watching Cav fighting for a stage win in the sprints.
CWL - C60 Trident Pro ~ Orange Bezel - C60-TRI-SKCSI
CWL - C60 Trident Pro 600 ~ C60-42-AUTO-SKRT
CWL - C11 Makaira Pro 500 ~ C11-MAK-SKOSI
CWL - C11 Titanium Extreme 1000 Limited Edition ~ C11-COSC-EXT-TKV-SI
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I bet Tom pidcock to win one of the stages, and thought I bet him to place in the top 3, but it turns out I actually bet him to be in the race top 3 .

Anyway he's doing ok. I think the ineos guys in the top 10 can try to put pressure on pog. At least one of them might be able to take time in a solo breakaway. That's about the only way they can beat him.