Bespoke C63 Colchester possible / interest

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
L55HEM
Junior
Junior

Bespoke C63 Colchester possible / interest

Post by L55HEM »

Hi guys…

First thread… I’ve recently bought the C63 Colchester, well my wife has and it’s been put away for my 40th… I’ve come from a Rolex and Tudor background which I still own but due to lack of availability and high service costs I’ve been looking elsewhere to extend my collection and came across CW a few years ago, but never found a watch that I thought I had to have until I saw the C63 Colchester. I feel it is super unique with its look and materials used and one of the only watches I’ve ever said to myself immediately ‘I have to have it’ and was surprised when there was no wait list and was received within 2 business days after ordering with standard delivery. (Obviously not possible with the other two brands of watches I own)

I absolutely love the watch and can see on the forum there’s been an extended discussion on it with quite a lot of people who also love the watch but wouldn’t / couldn’t buy it due to the link with the Parachute regiment and some seeing as a Walter Mitty piece.

I personally am fine with the watch and as the only reference to the parachute regiment is on the coin at the back of the watch, it doesn’t bother me. This ‘coin’ however covers up 90% of the movement which sort of defeats the object IMO of having a sapphire crystal exhibition case back, however I believe it’s so you can see through the watch in the various cut outs. This coin also adds an extra thickness to the watch which makes it sit higher on the wrist than the C63 Elite.

Therefore would it possible; and if so, would there be interest in creating a bespoke watch with a few changes to make it more appealing to the people who discounted the one that’s been currently offered by CW?

From reading the Bespoke watches section of the website I’ve noted - A bespoke watch costs no more than a regular watch from our core range, once the minimum quantity is met. I believe this minimum quantity is 25 watches which I’d want at least 2, where only a few changes would be made to the existing C63 Colchester, these being -
* Remove the coin on the back of the watch to reduce its height and to showcase the movement through the sapphire crystal.
* Change the colour of the seconds hand and indices from the burgundy Paras colour to another colour… possibly red to differentiate from the current offering from above.
* Add if possible (might not be as no option to engrave) the limited edition number on the back case of the watches.

This whole post might have been a waste of 15 minutes typing as not sure this watch is classed as their core range and though the minimum is 25 watches, possibly the price is higher than the standard cost of the watch, unless you buy 50 or 100, but if not and if there is enough interest…. 23 others who’d want this watch, let me know and I’ll contact the team.

Cheers
Lee
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Re: Bespoke C63 Colchester possible / interest

Post by thomcat00 »

Welcome to the Forum, Lee! The Colchester is an interesting offering in the CW line. I quite like it. The notion of a bespoke watch from the Colchester base could be appealing. I wonder if there would be enough uptake among the boards here for such a project. Personally I’m not in a position to pledge to it currently. I may revisit the idea later, especially if it gains momentum.

Please introduce yourself in the Member section and share your pics once you’ve unwrapped your present.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
L55HEM
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

@L55HEM

Hi Lee. I should ask CW for more info about what is involved. I'm sure they will explain the minimum quantity and so on.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
L55HEM
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Another thought. I should think the hardest bit is making a logo for the dial (such as the Gurkha kukris), and if you don't need anything as complicated as that I don't think it should be too tricky at all.

Good luck.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
L55HEM
L55HEM
Junior
Junior

Post by L55HEM »

JAFO wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:40 am Another thought. I should think the hardest bit is making a logo for the dial (such as the Gurkha kukris), and if you don't need anything as complicated as that I don't think it should be too tricky at all.

Good luck.
Thanks for the posts, I’ll compose a message and send it to the bespoke team to see whether it’s possible and if any hurdles I’ve not thought of.

I’m not too worried about having a logo especially with the gorgeous forged carbon dial, however open to suggestions and whether the consensus is to have the twin flags like the newer watches or leave as how it is as present. I think it will probably move to the twin flags logo at some point like the C63 Elite has recently done but probably waiting until the current stock has shifted and the next production is made.

I was kinda hopping a few others would have already been interested, as there seemed to be a lot of people who wanted one if there was no link to the armed forces and a specific regiment, but maybe they’ve moved onto another watch. I looked at the archive section on the Colchester and noted that only 4 watches have sold… I think maybe this isn’t that accurate and it’s not updated regularly as can’t see only 4 people have bought one… if it is accurate I doubt I’d get to the 25 minimum :(

Fingers crossed if a few people get on board it’ll pick up momentum.

Cheers
Lee
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

L55HEM wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:42 am I looked at the archive section on the Colchester and noted that only 4 watches have sold… I think maybe this isn’t that accurate and it’s not updated regularly as can’t see only 4 people have bought one…
I’m not sure quite how you came by that information. There have actually been seven instances of the watch being resold as a secondhand piece; quite how many are out there in the wild only CW will know. We are not privy to that information on the Admin Team and do not publish it in the archive.

https://cwarchive.knack.com/cwarchive#m ... 01e8c77a5/

I don’t want to throw a spanner in the works, but have you thought through what you are going to call this? Normally bespoke editions are produced for a particular group, club, society or military unit and are designed with some kind of insignia. If you wanted to call it a Forum Limited Edition I’m pretty sure that would have to come through the forum officially, as we already have seven of those. It will be interesting to hear CW’s response – good luck with it.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
L55HEM
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
L55HEM
Junior
Junior

Post by L55HEM »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:07 am
L55HEM wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:42 am I looked at the archive section on the Colchester and noted that only 4 watches have sold… I think maybe this isn’t that accurate and it’s not updated regularly as can’t see only 4 people have bought one…
I’m not sure quite how you came by that information. There have actually been seven instances of the watch being resold as a secondhand piece; quite how many are out there in the wild only CW will know. We are not privy to that information on the Admin Team and do not publish it in the archive.

https://cwarchive.knack.com/cwarchive#m ... 01e8c77a5/

I don’t want to throw a spanner in the works, but have you thought through what you are going to call this? Normally bespoke editions are produced for a particular group, club, society or military unit and are designed with some kind of insignia. If you wanted to call it a Forum Limited Edition I’m pretty sure that would have to come through the forum officially, as we already have seven of those. It will be interesting to hear CW’s response – good luck with it.
Hi there,
Not sure where I got 4 from but checked the archive and saw it was 7 and not 4 like I entered above so was just about to update on here but then saw your post. I didn’t realise it was sold items in the secondary market; that’s good to know. I can see it clearly says ‘resale’ so an obvious mistake.

No idea on name of the bespoke model, I just wanted to make the existing model… more perfect. I had previously called CW customer services to ask if it was possible to purchase the watch with the coin removed to make it thinner and showcase the movement but was told that it wasn’t possible as the watch had been agreed by the MOD and the coin is the only reference to this and couldn’t be sold without it, so hoped a bespoke model would be the workaround and open the watch up to others who wouldn’t buy with the parachute regiment link.

Cheers
Lee
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:07 am I don’t want to throw a spanner in the works, but have you thought through what you are going to call this? Normally bespoke editions are produced for a particular group, club, society or military unit and are designed with some kind of insignia. If you wanted to call it a Forum Limited Edition I’m pretty sure that would have to come through the forum officially, as we already have seven of those.
Why would it necessarily have to have a name? And do bespoke watches have to be produced exclusively for a group? If I won the lottery and suddenly came into an obscene amount of money, I would absolutely commission a bespoke edition CW for friends and family…simply because of could! That’s not hyperbole; I would do it. I suppose if pressed for a name I’d just call it the “ARS Run LE,” as those are my initials, and it’s my run of watches.

Good luck with the bespoke Colchester. I’m guessing it’s the carbon fiber case you’re drawn to?
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
L55HEM
Drew
L55HEM
Junior
Junior

Post by L55HEM »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:19 pm Why would it necessarily have to have a name? And do bespoke watches have to be produced exclusively for a group? If I won the lottery and suddenly came into an obscene amount of money, I would absolutely commission a bespoke edition CW for friends and family…simply because of could! That’s not hyperbole; I would do it. I suppose if pressed for a name I’d just call it the “ARS Run LE,” as those are my initials, and it’s my run of watches.

Good luck with the bespoke Colchester. I’m guessing it’s the carbon fiber case you’re drawn to?
Hi,
Thanks for adding to the post. Yes I love the fact that it’s injected carbon. I’m drawn to dark watches but not keen on coatings like DLC or PVD as when they eventually scratch, I think it’s looks terrible having the SS underneath. The injected carbon when scratched will be the same colour underneath and being matt should hide really well. I’m also hoping it will be harder to scratch than SS, but as it’s a new watch I’ve not seen how well it holds up to daily wear. I’ve got a black ceramic Tudor which still looks new 3 years after purchasing without any scratches, but find it pretty big on the wrist.

The draw also for the Colchester apart from in being super light is I find it has perfect dimensions and it’s sits low on the wrist. I also really like the hidden crown, as find wearing watches when working and training (mainly weight training, some cycling and hand balancing) that a watch crown normally digs into my wrist, so having a hidden crown eliminates this problem.

Im not going to be really disappointed if a bespoke version of this watch can’t be made as it’s already an amazing watch but if a few little tweaks can be made it would be perfect.

I’ll update on here once I hear back from the team. I’ve emailed Beckie and had an automatic reply saying she’s on annual leave until 4th July so hopefully hear back at some point after that date.

Cheers
Lee
These users thanked the author L55HEM for the post:
jkbarnes
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:19 pm Why would it necessarily have to have a name? And do bespoke watches have to be produced exclusively for a group? If I won the lottery and suddenly came into an obscene amount of money, I would absolutely commission a bespoke edition CW for friends and family…simply because of could! That’s not hyperbole; I would do it. I suppose if pressed for a name I’d just call it the “ARS Run LE,” as those are my initials, and it’s my run of watches.
The answer to both your questions, Andrew, is that I don’t know. I was merely thinking out loud. I certainly didn’t want to seem negative, and I very much hope that they can go ahead with this.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
jkbarnes
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:19 pmWhy would it necessarily have to have a name?
Why would anyone not want to give their beautiful creation a name? If it's great it can go on the dial, if not it's just something to call it in the CWOTD thread.

The only problem with the idea is what "few little tweaks" make this perfect for you may not be the same ones I or anyone else would choose. I'm guessing cut out carbon dial will be prohibitively expensive for a small batch (I may be wrong, or more likely the case has the same problem...) but I tried putting the standard C63 elite dial in and for me the glossy black looks weird against the not-so-black carbon.
Black.jpg
Quite like the white stolen from the standard C63 though, or maybe green to keep it more stealthy?
White.jpg
Green.jpg
Will be interesting to see what Beckie says.
These users thanked the author suicidal_orange for the post (total 2):
L55HEMthomcat00
L55HEM
Junior
Junior

Post by L55HEM »

suicidal_orange wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:59 pm
jkbarnes wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:19 pmWhy would it necessarily have to have a name?
Why would anyone not want to give their beautiful creation a name? If it's great it can go on the dial, if not it's just something to call it in the CWOTD thread.

The only problem with the idea is what "few little tweaks" make this perfect for you may not be the same ones I or anyone else would choose. I'm guessing cut out carbon dial will be prohibitively expensive for a small batch (I may be wrong, or more likely the case has the same problem...) but I tried putting the standard C63 elite dial in and for me the glossy black looks weird against the not-so-black carbon.

Black.jpg

Quite like the white stolen from the standard C63 though, or maybe green to keep it more stealthy?

White.jpg
Green.jpg

Will be interesting to see what Beckie says.
Nice pictures. I’d quite like to keep it almost as it is now, just with red instead of burgundy on the front and no coin on the back. Not sure what you mean about carbon cut outs… it already has these like the C63 Elite.

The forged carbon dial and outer ring is perfection IMO and matches the injected carbon case perfectly so wouldn’t want to change that. Just ditch the parachute regiment link (which would make thinner and showcase the movement) and change the paras burgundy. There’s another forum on here, when it was first released and quite a few people didn’t feel they could buy it without having served in the Paras. I was hoping by keeping the changes minimal it would be more likely to be accepted by CW and anyone who loved the watch but didn’t like the military link would also be interested.

It would also be good to have a hybrid black rubber strap with matching red stitching / edging… how easy is it to mock this up to see how it would look?
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

I'm not an expert but here's a quick and dirty attempt - the colours look good :thumbup:
Black-red.jpg
These users thanked the author suicidal_orange for the post (total 3):
L55HEMjkbarnesChris375
L55HEM
Junior
Junior

Post by L55HEM »

suicidal_orange wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:47 pm I'm not an expert but here's a quick and dirty attempt - the colours look good :thumbup:

Black-red.jpg
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow that looks epic, thanks so much, nothing dirty about that attempt. Actually think it looks better than I anticipated, I would definitely buy a few of those.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
L55HEM
Junior
Junior

Post by L55HEM »

It would be easy to imagine the back of the watch without the coin just like the C63 Elite.
C7B139CD-4E40-452A-AE1F-F262183963E9.jpeg
14620356-87B9-4D99-9351-5152C1808A2B.jpeg