Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Re: CW Marketing spend

Post by Molan »

FloridaPhil wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:06 pm
Molan wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:31 pm
FloridaPhil wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:34 pm

And that's all fine and dandy except that I didn't say they should use 'a bloody great, screen filling product image'.

Anecdotally however, the number of times I DO see a comment on various FB pages or forums stating that the end-user's on-the-wrist photo is so much better than the murky stock images used by CW is quite amazing. I stand by my original comment.
I’m sure you’re correct Phil, I’ll let the senior guys at Google marketing and creative know that they’re wrong and clearly don’t know what they’re talking about 🤣
Are you being deliberately inflammatory or is that just your default mode? I clearly explained that I did not say what you said I did.
I thought you said that “Yet more dark images in which the watch cannot be seen properly” and that this was a sad trend. This inferring that you believed light and clear product shots were a requirement of successful marketing.

The creative experts at, arguably the largest and most successful marketing operation in the world, do not agree with your outdated philosophy of what a good ad should look like.

Clearly, given it is, as you highlighted, a trend, neither do the marketing experts at either CW or their professional ad agency.

It is clear that, given the level of tracking and results-based analytics available, that Google, CW and their agency actually know what they’re talking about. . . 😂
These users thanked the author Molan for the post (total 2):
FloridaPhilthomcat00
About 6 Christopher Wards, Omega, Tudor, Halios, Breitling, Bremont, Rado, TAG Heuer, Nomos, Hamilton, Sternglas
Molan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Molan »

exHowfener wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:58 pm
The CW videos I’ve seen usually try to be a bit abstract.
Is this a current trend in advertising? I quite often see (on TV) adverts for current release films and I have no idea what the film is actually about.
I’ve worked on a lot of movie launches. Everything from huge major studio blockbusters to tiny independent productions. I’m currently working on a very large budget movie for one of the major streaming platforms. Slightly to commercial cinema releases but a lot of the core strategies remain true.

By the time any marketing spend has reached a TV screen, there will have been a long series of PR-based promotions, editorial pieces, talent junkets, social seeding, specific audience teasers, web promos etc etc.

The, final TV ad is generally designed to alert people already with some kind of awareness, that the release date is approaching or that the film is already ‘in season’ (on general release).

There will remain an element of trying to grab casual movie-goers by intriguing them to search for more content (of which there will always be loads available!) but it’s more about converting that existing target group o get their ‘bums on seats’ 😂
These users thanked the author Molan for the post:
exHowfener
About 6 Christopher Wards, Omega, Tudor, Halios, Breitling, Bremont, Rado, TAG Heuer, Nomos, Hamilton, Sternglas
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

Molan wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:38 am [

I thought you said that “Yet more dark images in which the watch cannot be seen properly” and that this was a sad trend. This inferring that you believed light and clear product shots were a requirement of successful marketing.

The creative experts at, arguably the largest and most successful marketing operation in the world, do not agree with your outdated philosophy of what a good ad should look like.

Clearly, given it is, as you highlighted, a trend, neither do the marketing experts at either CW or their professional ad agency.

It is clear that, given the level of tracking and results-based analytics available, that Google, CW and their agency actually know what they’re talking about. . . 😂
Yeah, because Amazon, the biggest retail operation on the face of the planet, is just back to back with dark and obscure product images, isn't it? 😂😂😂

But I'm sure your takeaway from the latest little seminar is absolutely correct. I mean, you always are correct, aren't you Barry? 😆😆

I'll leave you and your fragile ego to it now. Have fun with your huge marketing budget. Your customers are going to be delighted when they hear this one 😆😆😆

(See? Anyone can add smiley faces on their post to ridicule another's point of view. Even a dumb schmuck like me).

😆😆😂🤣😂😆
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

When it comes to advertising who knows what works. It's clear that modern advertising is far more subtle than that of years ago though.

That's why these viral campaigns work. It doesn't seem to be about just hammering home a repetitive message any more.

I'm no expert, but I find the Apprentice somewhat facile in this respect.

To be honest, I also think the CW watches need to have a CW brand of some sort on them as well. I would be very interested in @Molan views on the nameless branding.
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

JAFO wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:10 pm When it comes to advertising who knows what works. It's clear that modern advertising is far more subtle than that of years ago though.

That's why these viral campaigns work. It doesn't seem to be about just hammering home a repetitive message any more.

To be honest, I also think the CW watches need to have a CW brand of some sort on them as well. I would be very interested in @Molan views on the nameless branding.
I’m not Molan or anyone with any real experience in marketing, but I can look around. What I see is CW’s logo or trademark being distinctive. The full name is unnecessary with a recognized mark. Think of Ford’s blue oval or Volkswagen’s stylized VW; the Golden Arches of McDonald’s; the Amazon smile, the Nike Swoosh. You can likely picture them in your mind. They’re at a level where the ad spend is not needed for brand recognition. It reinforces associations with the brand.

CW aspires to be more. This Swish move puts them further on the path.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
0uatiOW
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

JAFO wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:10 pm When it comes to advertising who knows what works. It's clear that modern advertising is far more subtle than that of years ago though.
Not the sort that crops up on my email and Facebook. Make your will! Sort out your life insurance! Get equity release! Sort out your care home!

I keep telling them I want adverts for holidays and watches. Do they listen? Do they **** ! :evil:

I’m 64 and apparently my life is over. Someone pass me the happy pills.

PS. I don’t watch television apart from the odd bit of sport, so they can’t get me that way. :lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
meinberg
Senior
Senior

Post by meinberg »

Looking at the current range it is a bit of a branding mess, flags on new models , Christopher Ward on older ones, personally I think the name looks. better. The flags may, one day, reach critical mass in terms of brand awareness but it will be a long road I suspect 'the artist formally know as prince' re branding effort springs to mind, CW will always be CW until they actually change the name, flags are just a logo.

Is it public knowledge whether they can use the CW name on going or do they have to rename within a timeframe of Chris's departure?
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

meinberg wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:44 am Is it public knowledge whether they can use the CW name on going or do they have to rename within a timeframe of Chris's departure?
I don’t know with certainty but I would expect as Christopher Ward, the man, left the company, he is barred from using his name in another enterprise.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Molan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Molan »

FloridaPhil wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:58 pm
Molan wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:38 am [

Yeah, because Amazon, the biggest retail operation on the face of the planet, is just back to back with dark and obscure product images, isn't it? 😂😂😂

But I'm sure your takeaway from the latest little seminar is absolutely correct. I mean, you always are correct, aren't you Barry? 😆😆

I'll leave you and your fragile ego to it now. Have fun with your huge marketing budget. Your customers are going to be delighted when they hear this one 😆😆😆

(See? Anyone can add smiley faces on their post to ridicule another's point of view. Even a dumb schmuck like me).

😆😆😂🤣😂😆
You don’t really ‘get’ marketing do you Phil?

Amazon is a retail outlet featuring product shots. That is their shop window not their marketing campaign.

As it happens I’m working with Amazon on marketing right now so, yes, I do know what I’m talking about.

Here’s Amazon’s latest large budget advertising - very dark, no shots of product or artist:

https://youtu.be/bp20PL92FTE

It’s a strange world when people who are professionals at their jobs and have worked in those positions for over 40 years are ridiculed by people who have nothing to do with that profession but like to try and force their opinions on others. . .
Molan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Molan »

The thing with modern digital marketing is that people actually do know what works now.

It’s much harder to track TV, radio, print etc but anything delivered via the internet currently has an amazing amount of ‘trackability’.

A campaign I’m currently working on will have something like 200 different ad variants. After the initial 2-3 weeks post launch the ad server will start building ads ‘on the fly’ in order to be more relevant to the person seeing them.

This relevance will be delivered based on what they’ve previously seen, the site they’re coming from and a host of other variables.

Every action taken post-view of that ad is tracked, all the data amalgamated and used to keep improving the relevance and deliver what ever the point is of that campaign.

Creative cost is in the millions to build all this but you’d be amazed at how it pays back over a relatively short time period!
Amor Vincit Omnia

Molan wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:47 pm It’s a strange world when people who are professionals at their jobs and have worked in those positions for over 40 years are ridiculed by people who have nothing to do with that profession but like to try and force their opinions on others. . .
Welcome to the club. Nothing to do with marketing in my case, of course. I know nowt about it.

But… :silent:
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Molan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Molan »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:57 pm
Molan wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:47 pm It’s a strange world when people who are professionals at their jobs and have worked in those positions for over 40 years are ridiculed by people who have nothing to do with that profession but like to try and force their opinions on others. . .
Welcome to the club. Nothing to do with marketing in my case, of course. I know nowt about it.

But… :silent:
In the world of travel writing I can only begin to imagine how many people might try to explain why you could be wrong about something.

You only have to look at Tripadvisor to see how some of this plays out!
Amor Vincit Omnia

Molan wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:06 pm In the world of travel writing I can only begin to imagine how many people might try to explain why you could be wrong about something.
I’m a baby as far as travel writing is concerned. I will be the first to admit that I have a lot to learn. I’m referring to a 40+ year career in languages.
Steve

0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

…. said every doctor and medical professional every day for the last 2 years. Everyone’s an armchair expert at everything these days.
These users thanked the author 0uatiOW for the post (total 2):
Amor Vincit Omniaajax87
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Molan wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:47 pm
Amazon is a retail outlet featuring product shots. That is their shop window not their marketing campaign.

As it happens I’m working with Amazon on marketing right now so, yes, I do know what I’m talking about.

Here’s Amazon’s latest large budget advertising - very dark, no shots of product or artist:

https://youtu.be/bp20PL92FTE

It’s a strange world when people who are professionals at their jobs and have worked in those positions for over 40 years are ridiculed by people who have nothing to do with that profession but like to try and force their opinions on others. . .
I guess Amazon could do with some decent advertising to deflect from what is perceived as their alleged unethical business practices and avoidance of tax. It would be interesting if their ads showed allegedly the monopolisation of industries to the detriment of independents, allegedly allowing sales of unfit goods, allegedly exploiting low paid workers in warehouses and supply chain, allegedly people working 2 or 3 gig economy jobs to deliver as many parcels for hours to feed their family, or allegedly manufacturing copies of successful products under their own name using the sales data of those selling on the platform. But I guess good marketing sometimes has to do the devils work to pay the bills!

Hope you are giving your experience to the smaller businesses too :thumbup:.

Next time you are in the room with the Head of YouTube, please can you tell them to stop pushing so many ads on their videos and whatever they do I will not be buying YouTube premium just to avoid them. Guess it is win/win, get ad revenue from bombarding us and get the income if we pay to avoid them instead - clever.

At least they seem to be pushing me Watchfinder videos rather than Vincero watches these days! I guess this is where the gathering, storing and using all of our data comes in doesn't it. Look at something once online and you will see it everywhere until you can be convinced to buy it.

In a world where it is heading digital, it is surprising that CW still send out Loupe, wonder if that will end and the money spent elsewhere?