Iain SOTC March 2022

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
angusbon
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: Iain SOTC March 2022

Post by angusbon »

ssholloway21 wrote:
angusbon wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:27 pm
iain wrote:Thanks for the comments.

The Super Compressor is a great watch but it’s the small details that set these watches apart from each other. I know a familiar question is whether an Omega is worth 6 CW tridents, and as someone who has owned 6 tridents and an Omega, I would say it is. However the more you spend, the smaller those increases in quality become. The different between a Trident and a £150 diver is vastly wider then the difference between the Trident and the Seamaster.

While the Super Compressor looks in a photo as an equal, it’s the small aspects that show the difference in the price. The inner bezel is not on par with the roto click system on the Bremont, there’s a lot more play. Also the crown doesn’t always pop out when you first unscrew it. The movement is also quite plain looking through the display back.

Having said that, I enjoy wearing it as much as the others, but there is a noticeable step up. Whether that is important is down to the individual.
As much as I really don't want to hijack your sotc post, it's interesting you brought up comparisons, especially the CW/OMEGA point....a recurring thread that perplexes me to this day....
Is this your first Omega?
The Bremont comment Tbh didn't surprise me regarding quality difference

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
I am glad both you of brought this up. I am at this point, having several CW's and a couple other $1,000+ watches. I am trying to decide if it is worth stepping up to an Omega (Seamaster or Aqua Terra). I think CW is fantastic and really happy with them but an Omega keeps calling my name. I think that is a real question, $1500 CW vs. $5000 Omega. BTW - great collection!
Obviously just going from my experience.....
I owned 9 CW and enjoyed them....
I sold a few, saved up the extra and bought a smp....just another level....
Sold a few more, bought a 300...
Then a PO....
My advice, for what it's worth, is go for it...
Imo the AT is the perfect all round watch....
Obviously after that you will need a speedy Image

These users thanked the author angusbon for the post:
iain
ssholloway21
Senior
Senior

Post by ssholloway21 »

iain wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:38 pm ^^^^ this SOTC post is about discussing my collection so happy for it to head to wherever anyone wants to take it and I’m happy to answer any questions about what I think about the watches I own.

I had a Speedmaster 57 60th anniversary but it went to fund the IWC Spitfire as I didn’t like it as much as I should considering what it cost me. I used Omega in my post as it’s that brand that many reference and compare against when discussing perceived watch differences. For Omega in my post you could substitute iWC, Zenith or Bremont as the finishing on these watches is a higher level than CW.

I was just showing that on the face of it the CW looks equal but you have to own and live with a watch to really appreciate these subtle increments.
How does your Omega compare to Bremont purely from a quality standpoint. I realize Omega may carry more prestige. Another question, I am reluctant on several upper tier because of the AR coating on top. Has that been an issue for you? Thanks for answering all the questions. :thumbup:
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Omega and Bremont are two different beasts. The Omega has excellent levels of finishing, the bezel for example has zero play. Not a little bit that’s not really noticeable, zero.

Bremont make tough watches which can take a few knocks and their trip tick case design is an exceptional feature and something quite different. However the Bremont bracelet seems like an after thought, they are best worn on straps. If you want a quality bracelet, then IWC are head and shoulders above Omega.

As for AR coating, I have it on my IWC and over 5 years it did have the odd small mark, but only noticeable if you really looked. It went to IWC for service and came back badly scratched and the AD had to step in and arrange for a new crystal FOC. My previous Bremonts all wore very well with no marks despite the odd knock, but my MB2 was a used purchase and has a few marks. Bremont have quoted £250 for a new one but I think I’ll live with it for now.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
ssholloway21
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
angusbon
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by angusbon »

ssholloway21 wrote:
iain wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:38 pm ^^^^ this SOTC post is about discussing my collection so happy for it to head to wherever anyone wants to take it and I’m happy to answer any questions about what I think about the watches I own.

I had a Speedmaster 57 60th anniversary but it went to fund the IWC Spitfire as I didn’t like it as much as I should considering what it cost me. I used Omega in my post as it’s that brand that many reference and compare against when discussing perceived watch differences. For Omega in my post you could substitute iWC, Zenith or Bremont as the finishing on these watches is a higher level than CW.

I was just showing that on the face of it the CW looks equal but you have to own and live with a watch to really appreciate these subtle increments.
How does your Omega compare to Bremont purely from a quality standpoint. I realize Omega may carry more prestige. Another question, I am reluctant on several upper tier because of the AR coating on top. Has that been an issue for you? Thanks for answering all the questions. Image
I realise I'm the gooseberry in this conversation... Image
When you ask about AR, are you specifically talking Omega or luxury watches in general?

ssholloway21
Senior
Senior

Post by ssholloway21 »

angusbon wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:35 pm
ssholloway21 wrote:

How does your Omega compare to Bremont purely from a quality standpoint. I realize Omega may carry more prestige. Another question, I am reluctant on several upper tier because of the AR coating on top. Has that been an issue for you? Thanks for answering all the questions. Image
When you ask about AR, are you specifically talking Omega or luxury watches in general?

More in general I guess, I know several do it. I do not have any watches with AR on top so really curious. For example, I looked at the Sinn U50 T. Now, they make this thing like a tank that is almost scratch proof but then add AR on top that could scratch.
These users thanked the author ssholloway21 for the post:
angusbon
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Iain
What a cracking collection. 5-6 is s great number so they all get actually worn. Your thinking in criteria for getting and keeping a watch in your collection ( legibility, lume and ability to time stuff) mirrors my own thoughts. I find our tastes also remarkably similar.
I now only have three mechanical watches but they are a ceramic seamaster, cw ocean blue compressor and a zenith El Primero although mine is the chronomaster sport I have had the smaller version of yours.
I have looked many a time at both of your IWC and works have bought an mbii years ago if it wasn’t just a bit big for me.

As you say any of them could be a one watch.

Great collection and thanks for sharing :clap:
These users thanked the author stefs for the post:
iain
Cheers now, Paul
angusbon
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by angusbon »

ssholloway21 wrote:
angusbon wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:35 pm
ssholloway21 wrote: How does your Omega compare to Bremont purely from a quality standpoint. I realize Omega may carry more prestige. Another question, I am reluctant on several upper tier because of the AR coating on top. Has that been an issue for you? Thanks for answering all the questions. Image

More in general I guess, I know several do it. I do not have any watches with AR on top so really curious. For example, I looked at the Sinn U50 T. Now, they make this thing like a tank that is almost scratch proof but then add AR on top that could scratch.
My PO has it on top and it's a smudge magnet, really hard to get it to look clean.
The explorer on the other hand, probably due to the flat sapphire, is a joy.
I would imagine the AT would react in the same way

iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

There is external AR coating on all the watches above with the exception of the Christopher Ward. All have stood the test of time, as have others I’ve owned with AR coating. You can get the crystal swapped out at service if it gets too scratched but it’s usually an extra cost.

I’ve had have some with marks, usually added by previous owners, but I’ve marked a few myself. However I’ve not found the marks to be especially noticeable except under certain light. I don’t worry about it and would happily buy a watch with external AR coating, it really can make a crystal look almost invisible.

Apart from a Seiko which always looked grubby, I’ve not really had the smudge issue Chris mentioned. I find a ceramic polished bezel is worse for showing up sticky finger prints.
angusbon
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Without a doubt, this is one of the finest SOTC writes I’ve read! Well done, sir! :clap: The stand out for me is the IWC Spitfire. What a spectacular watch. Thanks for sharing.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
iain
Drew
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

There have been a couple of comments about the EP and particularly references to the 38mm version being the one others would go, or have gone for. Let me explain why I went for the 42mm version, when the 38mm arguably would wear a little better.

First it’s the date window. On the 42mm version it’s at 6, whereas on the 38mm it’s at 4.30. Now if you noticed above, being left handed I wear my watch on my right arm. The photos show the typical viewing angle when I put my arm out to read the time or check the date. A date window at 4.30 which is at a 45 degree angle, now reads 90 degrees out. For this reason I don’t like 4.30 date windows and make a conscious decision to avoid any watch with one.

Secondly the 38mm is more popular. When I bought mine it was the outgoing version with the hour subdial overlapping the others. On the version after mine it was underneath which makes reading the seconds and minutes easier. It’s not that big a deal to be honest though. However this meant that my 42mm version was on sale as the outgoing, less popular version for a 33% discount you wouldn’t get on the 38mm. As someone who didn’t want the 38mm version this was an added bonus.
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

iain wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:56 pm
Dickchins wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:18 am ..... its the IWC Spitfire thats my pick of the bunch. Its your post of that watch that first got me looking at them, and from what ive seen and tried on so far, ive yet to find nicer than the model you have mate. Its stunning.
I didn’t realise my post on the Spitfire had started something with you going and trying some on. Is it the Spitfire range in particular you are interested in, or the pilot chronograph range in general?
Your comments on the quality of watches in certain price brackets, and Trident vs Omega have really struck a chord with me there. Ive just had a 'penny dropped' moment as I sit here with my morning brew!!!! Thats quite possibly exactly what ive been trying to inadvertantly work out in my head as I work through what watches I keep and why. Cheers!!!!

Re your Spitfire, I stated a small thread about IWC service last year, as a pal of mine at work has one. From seeing his up close in the flesh, I realised how good they are. Quality, design, finish, are all top notch. Id never 'got it' form pictures.

Then you ruined everything by posting yours! Ive tried on a few IWC's and I really like them. But in my minds eye, they were all compared to yours and just didnt compare. Ive yet to find the model you have, and a part of me is afraid to look too hard as I doubt I could resist if I did find it!

Unless its terrible in the flesh, its a watch ill find and own one day. Not maybe. Its certain!!!
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

^^^^^ I don’t know whether to say “sorry” or “glad I could help”. My Spitfire is the IWC387804. The 3878 is the model reference. The 04 signifies its the bracelet version, 02 is the strap, 03 is the rose gold and 10 is a limited edition with red subdials.

If you are seriously looking for one then I have a couple of tips 1. Buy the bracelet version and 2. Buy the bracelet version.

There are a few on chrono 24 but are all overseas so will attract 20% vat on top and you also have the issue of buying from abroad, you may be comfortable with this, I’m not.

Due to the price of these when new being about double the cost of the three dial standard IWC chrono, They didn’t sell as many so they are harder to find. Good luck.
Dickchins