A Bit of a Grub; a Companion Piece; or Part 2 of The Swan.

A place to discuss other watch-brands
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

A Bit of a Grub; a Companion Piece; or Part 2 of The Swan.

Post by gaf1958 »

I’ve said before that I think that the seventies Omega Constellations are some of the most quintessentially “seventies” watches ever made and I stand by that. I bought myself one of those watches early last year with a classic silver dial. I also also stated in the introduction thread for that watch (very much a companion piece to this one) that “Ideally I’d have liked one of the green dialled versions, but I’ve yet to see one that hasn’t cracked to form a spiderweb dial. While they have their charm, I always worry that when removing the dial for servicing you run the risk of losing pieces of dial enamel, so I’ve avoided them to date. Must be something in the green (and red) colouring they used in the enamels on those particular dials. So I’ve ended up looking at black and silver... and yes, green and red too.”

Turns out I was both right and wrong in making that statement. Yes it’s true that the brightly coloured dials from that time almost always cracked, however the cracking is only in the topmost “protective” lacquer layer; the underlying coloured enamel layer is undamaged. It turns out that they shrink at very different rates, but that the cracked lacquer pieces are actually firmly attached to the enamel layer below and don’t actually flake off. So… servicing can stil be dome without losing bits of your dial to oblivion.

So of course, armed with my new knowledge, I went and bought a 1970 green TV dialled Constellation that, dial aside, was identical to my silver Connie. Yes, before you ask, I do have a habit of that sort of thing. Yes, the green dial had a spiderweb of cracks on it and; no the condition was nowhere near as good as the silver swan that I’d resurrected here:
https://www.christopherwardforum.com/o ... 56465.html

However, nothing is ever that simple with me. Yes a service with my Omega certified watchmaker would cure any mechanical and cosmetic issues that need attention, with the exception of that spider dial. As the dial is no longer available from Omega, a bit of determined searching unearthed a correct NOS green dial for my Connie - one that had no spiderweb cracking. It wasn’t that expensive either, but then neither was the watch itself. So the new dial was installed as part of a full service and refinish and as it was a case of like for like, it’s not even a mod (oh!) just a regular old service replacement dial. Like the Cosmic 2000 I received back in the same shipment, the Connie had been waiting on a mainspring and a crystal; the original hesalite one was still in good nick, but had a bl**dy cyclops lens on it. No end to the shame… so it had to go. ;) It arrived back in the same parcel as my Seamaster Cosmic 2000 that I wrote about yesterday.

So, now looking fresh as a summer’s day,or at least a newly mown lawn, here it is in all its very, very seventies glory:

Of course, having mentioned the silver swan, the story would be incomplete without a side by side appearance with its sibling.

These users thanked the author gaf1958 for the post (total 8):
welshladasqwerthTortoisejkbarnesViogniertikkathreeNoushStrapMeister
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: A Bit of a Grub; a Companion Piece; or Part 2 of The Swan.

Post by stefs »

Your omega knowledge enthusiasm and collection continues to amaze me. They all seem to have such appeal.
Very envious indeed! This is another great example.
Cheers now, Paul
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

I love the look at that green dial, Gary. You're definitely on a roll at the moment! :)
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by blowfish89 »

Write a book
These users thanked the author blowfish89 for the post:
jkbarnes
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Absolutely fabulous Gary, love the 70s look and that bracelet really works well with the case (and I'm generally not a bracelet guy). Really interesting about the dial enamel and lacquer, bet that was a real 'YES!' moment on learning that. 🙂
Thanks for sharing the knowledge and pics... 👍

PS not that it matters one bit but the green dial all the way for me.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

Good ending!

That green dial looks really nice. I wonder how popular it was in the 70s? To me, the silver dial looks more 70s. Of course I never set foot in the 70s, so what do I know?
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Gary, you simply have an eye for brilliant Omega watches !
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Gary these two quotes sum it for me. :thumbup:
Viognier wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:25 am Gary, you simply have an eye for brilliant Omega watches !
stefs wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:24 am Your omega knowledge enthusiasm and collection continues to amaze me. They all seem to have such appeal.
Very envious indeed! This is another great example.
I much, much prefer the look of vintage Omega, than the majority of the modern stuff.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

nbg wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:38 am I much, much prefer the look of vintage Omega, than the majority of the modern stuff.
One could apply this thinking to a number of brands.
blowfish89 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:46 am Write a book
Now there’s an idea! Need a proofreader?

Another superb Omega post, Gary.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

LOVING this stuff Gary! :thumbup:

FWIW that green dial is doing it for me.
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.