Bremont in-house movement?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: Bremont in-house movement?

Post by Dickchins »

Fair play for the effort. Its definitely a step in the right direction. Im clearly missing the reason to have a party here though. I see this as a step in the right direction, not celebrating getting to the destination...!!!

And at that money theres a LOT of other brands id have in a heart beat over any of the new batch. Even other Bremont models!
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Beautiful watch! Ticks so many boxes. And whatever the movement is or is not, they have certainly done a job on it and it looks terrific.

I’m not expecting the forum to be awash with them given the price, but who is going to prove me wrong?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
ArtfulRoger
Senior
Senior

Post by ArtfulRoger »

downer wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:44 pm £15k in steel

£21k in rose gold, £22k in white gold.

Limited Edition...

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collectio ... 20a3c39926
Yikes. For Bremont lovers only then 😳
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: Bremont in-house movement…

Post by StrapMeister »

StrapMeister wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:20 pm My guess, and by the looks of it, a new in-house movement in a "Longitude" limited edition watch with the case cast from something fancy.
Well that was pretty close :D
BREMONT engineered movement, spot on with the name and the fancy bit of brass around the case back.

I personally think that this is a huge step for British watchmaking - they have obviously been extremely innovative with what the have done with the movement - this to me is just the first step.
Also, BREMONT have a habit of announcing special limited edition watches by organising such events - the reason its in London is that they have many people coming from abroad. Also, it's evident now, that it was held at Greenwich based on the connection with the watches.

I'm afraid that the pricing is well out of my league but they do look nice :thumbup:
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

I feel that the concept of an “in-house movement” is unnecessarily painted as the holy grail of watchmaking. I’m reminded by a review by Roman Scharf of another British brand (not CW) where he stated matter-of-factly “I think they should have used an in-house movement”. Total drivel.

For me, it has to be better or cheaper or both to be worthwhile doing. An IHM for it’s own sake is an expensive showing off.

Let’s hope what Bremont is doing will lead to better / cheaper (ok, let’s just settle for better. Cheaper and Bremont are not usually bed-fellows). They’ve released an impressive and eye-pleasing movement, which allows for modular configurations. I am impressed and I like what I see (both the investment in British watchmaking and the end result) but time will tell the price we customers will have to pay for the privilege. At what price point does the market decide that the quest for an IHM comes at too high a price?

I also like the new Longitude a lot; much more than the two previous historic LEs. The dial detail is beautiful, the case backs revealing the new movement are magnificent. The White Gold would be my choice, but the £££s … 🤕. Interestingly, the price differentials over the Hawking are extreme for the steel variant (+£7K), but less so for the gold versions (+£3K).

At a guess I would put a good chunk of the extra cost down to the new movement - probably less than £7K but probably more than £3K.

So back to my earlier point. An IHM (or a house-manufactured movement as the ENG300 is being carefully described) has to deliver benefits, otherwise what’s the point? At what price point do we conclude that a new movement isn’t delivering value for money? Put it another way, would I pay an extra £3K+ for a Bremont watch with the new movement? That pitches the S300s at the £6-7K, the Alt1s at £7-8K. In time the premium will surely drop, but for me right now, it’s too rich.

I’ve just re-read what I’ve written, and it sounds rather critical. It wasn’t meant to be. I applaud what Bremont has done, as long as they’ve done it for the right reasons - they’ve delivered what looks to be an impressive step forward. Well done to them.
These users thanked the author 0uatiOW for the post (total 3):
Richard DalbionphotoFloridaPhil
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

^^^^ I like what you have written.
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post:
0uatiOW
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

In typical Bremont fashion I suppose we could have all guessed that the new movement would be showcased, initially, into an LE at an eye watering price. I’m a big fan of Bremont but I think they’ve got this one the wrong way round. They’ve stated that they are aiming, next year, to have this movement in regular steel watches starting at around 5 grand. If they’d had launched the new movement by putting it into an existing watch with only a small premium I think that would get a lot of people ‘on side’. A bit like Oris putting their Calibre 400 into the Aquis. Then, at some point down the line release the LE.

That being said it’s an absolutely beautiful piece, just way out of my price league. I’m looking forward to what the next 12 months or so bring when Bremont do start to put the ENG300 into their regular line up. Exciting times ahead and a big step forward for British Watchmaking on an ‘industrial scale’.
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

This is worth a read.

https://www.thenakedwatchmaker.com/maki ... at-bremont

It’s easy to disparage Bremont as a ‘marketing company with a sideline in watch making’ but the investment that has gone into modifying this movement and the engineering infrastructure is pretty impressive.

It’ll be interesting if in time they do this again with the forthcoming K2 movement which looks like it’s could be a seriously good GMT movement.
Tim
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

TigerChris wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:45 pm In typical Bremont fashion I suppose we could have all guessed that the new movement would be showcased, initially, into an LE at an eye watering price. I’m a big fan of Bremont but I think they’ve got this one the wrong way round. They’ve stated that they are aiming, next year, to have this movement in regular steel watches starting at around 5 grand. If they’d had launched the new movement by putting it into an existing watch with only a small premium I think that would get a lot of people ‘on side’. A bit like Oris putting their Calibre 400 into the Aquis. Then, at some point down the line release the LE.

That being said it’s an absolutely beautiful piece, just way out of my price league. I’m looking forward to what the next 12 months or so bring when Bremont do start to put the ENG300 into their regular line up. Exciting times ahead and a big step forward for British Watchmaking on an ‘industrial scale’.
Quite agree Chris.

I think this is a really good looking watch and I'm glad to see it's 40mm, most of their watches are too large for my tastes at 42-43mm.

Slightly ridiculous pricing for this LE (as with many other if their LE's) although if they do bring out a £5k version in the future, then ideally with a modest discount, it would be a more attainable/attractive proposition.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

Confident statement.

D04ABD16-E252-4800-A146-398F6DCC465B.png
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
ArtfulRoger
Senior
Senior

Post by ArtfulRoger »

Richard D wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:47 pm Confident statement.

D04ABD16-E252-4800-A146-398F6DCC465B.png
Very confident, indeed. A splash of ignorance and arrogance there too maybe.

Have they not heard of Roger Smith?
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

ArtfulRoger wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:38 am Have they not heard of Roger Smith?
I did have the same thought along with ‘I wonder what these guys would have to say’. https://britishwatchmakers.com/the-makers
Richard

nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Richard D wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:40 am
ArtfulRoger wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:38 am Have they not heard of Roger Smith?
I did have the same thought along with ‘I wonder what would these guys would have to say’. https://britishwatchmakers.com/the-makers
Well Richard a significant number of those brands may think that perhaps in time they will end up making watches that warrant sticking in a decent British Manufactured movement, rather than the low rent ETA/Sellita, Miyota or NH movements that they tend to use… :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

^^^^ Whoever succeeds would have to better those movements and deliver at an affordable price point. It will be interesting to see if Bremont can be the first.
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post:
ArtfulRoger
Richard

ArtfulRoger
Senior
Senior

Post by ArtfulRoger »

Something I have not noticed before is the term 'England' vice Britain on their movements etc. Does that sound a bit too nationalistic and could ostracise buyers from across the borders, potentially?