Where Everybody Knows Your Name, Tales from your Local Pub

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Where Everybody Knows Your Name, Tales from your Local Pub

Post by Richard D »

missF wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:42 pmTimes right to find a new dog friendly pub that I can get writing in :D
Absolutely. 😀
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

"The Sportsman" in a small part of Bolton (Bromley Cross) was my pub growing up..... literally!

My family has lived there for a few generations so our family name is known (in a good way!). The Sporty was a home from home! My great grandad, grandad, and my dad would go for a pint together on Sunday afternoons and id be allowed to join them on Sundays.

I was only about 14 but sitting with your elders having a pint of Boddies best bitter and a rum & black, and playing dominos with all the real old boys and listening to their stories and banter was absolutely priceless to me. Although a bit young, I was allowed a pint and it taught me how to behave in and around a pub. Too many kids have 3 pints of cheap lager and want to take on the world these days!

Memories ill cherish forever. Although the pub has changed hands numerous times, every landlord has re-decorated several times, yet kept a few pictures of the old boys in the tap room up on the wall. Proper local! Theres a picture of my grandad thats been on the wall about 40 years. My grandad was god in my eyes. He did things in his life that I still cant believe and if I lived to be 1000yrs old I couldnt replicate.

Proper local pubs should be looked after and supported. Theyre literally the heart of the community/village as has been mentioned.

There are soooooooo many tales but im not sharing!!!

Im stuck at work on a night shift, on my birthday, and this thread has made me start remembering my grandad. Great thread! Great birthday prezi!!! Many thanks =D>
These users thanked the author Dickchins for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesRichard D
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Dickchins wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:51 am ...Im stuck at work on a night shift, on my birthday, and this thread has made me start remembering my grandad. Great thread! Great birthday prezi!!! Many thanks =D>
Great story there! And yes, this is an excellent thread. I've enjoyed reading everyone's stories. And happy birthday!
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Dickchins
Drew
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

This has been an enjoyable thread to read, thanks Richard. It got me round to thinking, bars are about so much more than a place to drink. People go off to uni to study human anthropology and behavioural science etc, with a view to understanding what makes us tick as a species. I often think I learnt much of my 'ring smarts' so to speak from time spent in bars. It's where I've seen the best of people, the worst of people and everything in between.

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
Richard D
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

Dickchins wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:51 am "The Sportsman" in a small part of Bolton (Bromley Cross) was my pub growing up..... literally!

Great birthday prezi!!! Many thanks =D>
My son studied at the University of Bolton and when I visited him I would stay at the Last Drop Village Hotel Spa just a short walk from The Sportsman where I’ve enjoyed a pint. Lovely part of the world, very welcoming, happy belated birthday.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

strapline wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:50 amIt's where I've seen the best of people, the worst of people and everything in between.

Des
So true.
Richard

exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

My son studied at the University of Bolton
It's interesting that you mention the erasing of technical skills from education as the 'University of Bolton' used to be Bolton Institute of Technology. I think it sounded a lot better than a generic university but that's part of Bolton's bid to become a city.

There were some great pubs in Bolton town centre back around late 70's early 80's although not exactly for the shy and retiring Sadly many have now closed. Still going is the Man and Scythe on Churchgate, a genuinely historic pub. As well as beer, they sold a fairly potent draught cider. I used to work across the road and once made the mistake of taking some lunchtime refreshment there. Let's just say that the afternoon wasn't very productive!.

Not local, but some gems that I visit whenever I can:

The Hark to Bounty, Slaidburn - a lovely unspoiled village** that is always worth a visit (not a pub but the Riverbank cafe in the village serves the best all day breakfast I've ever had).
Th Sir Walter Raleigh, East Budleigh.
The Australia, Porthmadog.
The Black Boy Inn, Caernarfon, great bar but unlike the others, not dog friendly.

** don't all rush there at once, let's keep it that way!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

Richard D wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:09 am
Dickchins wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:51 am "The Sportsman" in a small part of Bolton (Bromley Cross) was my pub growing up..... literally!

Great birthday prezi!!! Many thanks =D>
My son studied at the University of Bolton and when I visited him I would stay at the Last Drop Village Hotel Spa just a short walk from The Sportsman where I’ve enjoyed a pint. Lovely part of the world, very welcoming, happy belated birthday.

"The Drop" as its locally known is a nice little complex. Good bar, small craft/art shops, lovely local walks, and several local pubs within a 5 min walk. Good choice Richard!

I couldnt imagine not having a proper local. Every house ive bought, ive genuinely checked out the locals before buying, or ive bought near a decent boozer I already knew I love going in and not having to order a drink. Bar staff just start pulling your pint! Being able to sit and talk utter scribble with people is priceless.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

^^^^ The “The Drop” a great location. As for “talking utter scribble” I’ve been accused of that many a time but somehow in a pub it matters not. :lol:
Richard

elrikos
Junior
Junior

Post by elrikos »

Interesting to see you posting about my (second) local Richard D. Im marginally closer to the Russel Arms, but drive past whats left of the village gate most days, Realy shame, as they had worked so hard to build it up.
These users thanked the author elrikos for the post:
Richard D