If not watches, what would your weakness be?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: If not watches, what would your weakness be?

Post by Wis »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:54 am My other point is not really a question. I’ve always enjoyed taking photographs, and appreciate a nice camera. I like listening to music on a decent system. I suppose I even like driving or being driven in a nice car. But as soon as anyone starts to get deep and technical about any of these things, I seem to switch off. I suppose I’m not sufficiently far into any of them to be anything other than an interested end user.
I has taken me far too long to accept this very fact about myself. There are so many topics I intellectually would like to be into, where I find that I’m not emotionally invested. So like you I tend not to devote enough time, or drift into doing other things.
Bjørn
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Wis wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:56 pm
strapline wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:38 am Coffee table books are good too, although I'm not so big on poetry.

Des :D
Poetry might be an acquired taste, Des, but I firmly believe it is for everyone. It just needs to be given a chance. :)
I agree. If you check the ‘what are you reading thread’ you’ll see I posted today. The subject was long a poet before he discovered his voice.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Wis wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:56 pm Poetry might be an acquired taste, Des, but I firmly believe it is for everyone. It just needs to be given a chance. :)
I’m late to the party on poetry after some poor teachers in high school, but now I love it. The right poem can just floor me.
Drew
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Wis »

strapline wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:15 pm
Wis wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:56 pm
strapline wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:38 am Coffee table books are good too, although I'm not so big on poetry.

Des :D
Poetry might be an acquired taste, Des, but I firmly believe it is for everyone. It just needs to be given a chance. :)
I agree. If you check the ‘what are you reading thread’ you’ll see I posted today. The subject was long a poet before he discovered his voice.

Des
Leonard Cohen is probably my favourite modern musician! His texts are indeed poetry. And yes, he’s also a published poet.
These users thanked the author Wis for the post:
strapline
Bjørn
Barber65

Post by Barber65 »

Motorcycles

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

None really of the already mentioned candidates for me, but if there is one area I have a small collection of, it is Motorsports Memorabilia, primarily models of cars.

My main one on display is a model Peugeot 206 WRC, as driven by Richard Burns and signed by him.

He died the day before my 50th birthday. On my birthday, I was sat in my car in a local multi storey car park, having done some Saturday morning shopping, and checking my phone saw an email about the 'last few remaining' of this model and that Richard had died. It is a memorable piece.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

I’ve spent the last few weeks adding to (eBay purchases, book sale wanderings, & pilfering the stacks of accumulated books in my classroom), organizing, and reorganizing my books. I find myself sometimes going downstairs to just look them over time and again now that they are properly organized. I can’t wait to get some proper bookcases and to have them in a proper library/study instead of sitting in my unused basement on decrepit old inherited wall units.

37541D5E-9F84-4F95-B276-605DA9AB75F8.jpeg
How do you like my make shift library ladder?

888279FD-29CC-4B95-B5E0-E2D402660D6C.jpeg
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
Drew
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

If money were no object: cars, particularly Porsche and Oldsmobile (which I’ve owned) and Aston Martin. I have a 944 restoration project under way but I have no space for anything else on the dream list.

Considering my finances: LEGO, I have a room full of mostly (classic) space and Star Wars themed sets. Some of the sets were bought with an intent to sell and my paper gains are respectable. I have been into LEGO since just before my third birthday, so that’s a half-century now.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
daveodz
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 10

Post by daveodz »

Scalextric cars.........which as per my sig below is an ongoing weakness!

Dave
33 Watches
2 Dogs
4 Cars
500 Scalextric Cars
2 Daughters
1 Wife
2 Grandsons
1 Grandaugther
...............No money left!!!
BobMunro
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by BobMunro »

Seems to be some common themes on this thread - and I won't be an outlier!

Pens (not as bad now as 20 years ago)
Tech - cameras in particular, but also binoculars and telescopes
Art - although I don't consider that a weakness, more a sensible investment option - but still only with artists I admire and over the past few years that has focussed on the work of Conor Harrington.
Shoes - more pairs than my wife I would imagine - two new pairs this week alone!
Clothes - my wardrobes at home are full of clothes I've never worn, but seemed a good idea at the time!

and last but most certainly not least ...... CARS!

EDIT: forgot to mention guitars!
Time flies whether you're having fun or not. The choice is yours.
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

Basing money/finances on my current levels, my money would go back towards trainers, jackets, and motorbikes. (Not entirely in that order!)

My weakness for Adidas Y3 trainers and other classic designs from the 80s "casuals" kinda look is something I cant get rid of. And dont want to!

I have quite a bit of signed memorabelia which I havent added to in some time. Mainly football related stuff and music.

My other love is tattoos, which is being added to in the coming months with by back finally being done, having finalised the design.

Ive just realised how different mine are / I am to most people on here!!! :schockiert:
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

BobMunro wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:20 pm EDIT: forgot to mention guitars!
I went through a guitar and effects phase. I was determined to get a representative example of the iconic guitar designs. And for a few years when I was jamming regularly with friends I started building out an absurd pedal board. Most of those pedals are gone and a few of the guitars. While I won’t part with what I still have, at least I won’t be adding to it.
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:04 am I can’t wait to get some proper bookcases and to have them in a proper library/study instead of sitting in my unused basement on decrepit old inherited wall units.
One thing I would love is a proper Gentleman's Library. Floor to ceiling fitted bookshelves, leather Chesterfields, antique writing desk, a big globe, log fire, you get the idea.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
jkbarnes
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

Up cycling vintage stuff, making things out of pallets, scaffold boards and poles, making lamps :thumbup:
I’ve posted a few pic’s on here before so won’t clutter up the thread...unless anyone wants some examples :D
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:27 pm One thing I would love is a proper Gentleman's Library. Floor to ceiling fitted bookshelves, leather Chesterfields, antique writing desk, a big globe, log fire, you get the idea.
That is the vision! (And maybe the globe opens to reveal a few bottles of fine single malts.)
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
Drew