Tide Strap Wear

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Tide Strap Wear

Post by rkovars »

If CW is true to their word we are looking at $25 in component/manufacturing costs for the #tide straps (3x = $75). I am guessing that the #tide material isn't cheap because of the recycled plastics being used. It is a very cost heavy process to gather, sort and reconstitute the plastics. A strap made out of normal nylon material would not be anywhere near that price.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
nowttolose
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by nowttolose »

rkovars wrote:If CW is true to their word we are looking at $25 in component/manufacturing costs for the #tide straps (3x = $75). I am guessing that the #tide material isn't cheap because of the recycled plastics being used. It is a very cost heavy process to gather, sort and reconstitute the plastics. A strap made out of normal nylon material would not be anywhere near that price.
Pepsi/Coca Cola don’t seem to have much trouble recycling plastic and selling two bottles for £1 in Poundland (content included!).

I’m sorry, you can defend all you wish, but £60 for a plastic strap is a joke.
Dave

C65 Super Compressor Black Sand
C60 Trident Pro 600 Mk3 38mm Black/Red
C60 Trident Pro 600 GMT Mk3 40mm Black
C65 Dartmouth Blue
Rolex Submariner 116610LN
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

nowttolose wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:40 pm
rkovars wrote:If CW is true to their word we are looking at $25 in component/manufacturing costs for the #tide straps (3x = $75). I am guessing that the #tide material isn't cheap because of the recycled plastics being used. It is a very cost heavy process to gather, sort and reconstitute the plastics. A strap made out of normal nylon material would not be anywhere near that price.
Pepsi/Coca Cola don’t seem to have much trouble recycling plastic and selling two bottles for £1 in Poundland (content included!).

There’s a BIG difference in simply using a single type of recycled plastic and making a bottle in the way coke is doing, and cleaning the ocean of ALL types of unwanted plastic, sorting, reconstituting and making the #tide straps.

I’m not defending anyone here, but there’s a good bit more to it than people know. It is indeed a cost heavy process. It’s worth it due to the extreme amount of ocean pollution. It has more of a positive environmental impact than what coke is doing with their recycled bottles. They’d do better to just eliminate single use plastics in their bottles.

People buying these aren’t just buying a plastic strap, they’re helping support a cleaner future for our oceans.
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post:
jkbarnes
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Juicetin

Post by Juicetin »

CW replaced my Tide strap with one with blue stitching. So far, there is less , if any, wear.
Unfortunately, it doesn't fit as well as the original, the holes seem in different positions and the new one is either too tight or too loose.
ctafield

Post by ctafield »

They replaced mine with one with white stitching. That said the stitching is wonky as anything But it does feel a smidge sturdier - time will tell though I guess.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

nowttolose wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:40 pm

Pepsi and Coke aren't recycling the bottles. Plastic bottles can't be made into bottles again. They are moved to different products in a costly process. The cost is past on by whoever makes something out of the recycled raw material. Pepsi and Coke don't care what happens to the bottles after they leave their plants.

EDIT TO ADD: Came across a press release from Coke saying they are going to be pushing out rPET bottles this year in certain US markets. They aren't clear where the plastic is coming from. Every place I look says rPET is upcycled into garments, car parts, etc. The roll out is VERY limited. It is rolling out to about 3 states in the US. The cost is $1.59 for 13 oz which is about 3 cents more per oz than what the 20 oz bottles sell for.

An industry article shows that Coke had to figure out how to get a pure high grade rPET stream which equates to higher material cost. None of this stuff is cheap.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

Juicetin wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:46 pm CW replaced my Tide strap with one with blue stitching. So far, there is less , if any, wear.
Unfortunately, it doesn't fit as well as the original, the holes seem in different positions and the new one is either too tight or too loose.
Glad to hear CW made an effort even though the fit is not the same..
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
ctafield

Post by ctafield »

My replacement (which was white striped) is already starting to wear through again. I might ask if I can swap for rubber, or maybe even pay extra for the bracelet.
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I've been following this thread with interest, and even contributed.
Last week I bought a spray bottle of 'Grangers footwear Repel Plus' for £6.95. I was interested to read on the label that the bottle is made from 100% Ocean Waste Plastic (OWP). Hopefully a growing trend and I don't think the cost has increased as a result of using OWP. Does that make the cost of the #tide strap reasonable or ridiculous? i don't know. I can get excited about the price of food, but not luxury items.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left