Tide Strap Wear

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Mkutch

Re: Tide Strap Wear

Post by Mkutch »

Checked mine. It has the start of wearing through the center stripe. I’ve worn mine 20-30 times so not as accelerated of wear that others are seeing, but definitely there.
C63 Sealander Automatic White
C60 Anthropocene GMT Polar White
Juicetin

Post by Juicetin »

nowttolose wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:38 pm Not good for a strap which costs 60 notes.

CW does offer incredible value for money, except the Tide straps which are a complete rip off.
At £60 I agree with you .
ctafield

Post by ctafield »

I dropped CW photos of my strap, and they've sending me a new one 👍
Juicetin

Post by Juicetin »

ctafield wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:02 am I dropped CW photos of my strap, and they've sending me a new one 👍
Hi, i've just done the same, same result, a new one is being posted.
nowttolose
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by nowttolose »

Juicetin wrote:
ctafield wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:02 am I dropped CW photos of my strap, and they've sending me a new one Image
Hi, i've just done the same, same result, a new one is being posted.
If the problem is widespread, then the strap needs a redesign not just replacement.

If they are replacing it with the same strap, then it is likely the new strap will fail quickly as well.

Nice gesture, but doesn’t seem to solve the root cause of the issue.
Dave

C65 Super Compressor Black Sand
C60 Trident Pro 600 Mk3 38mm Black/Red
C60 Trident Pro 600 GMT Mk3 40mm Black
C65 Dartmouth Blue
Rolex Submariner 116610LN
ctafield

Post by ctafield »

"If" being the key word.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

Just wondering if this issue is only with the #tide with the white thread. I have a strap with the light blue thread and have yet to see any wear.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Juicetin

Post by Juicetin »

On my replacement strap I am going to seal the thread where the buckle pushes through, either with a tiny amount of glue or hot needle.
I think it will take a good many complaints before CW consider redesigning the strap.
Interesting about the blue version, maybe it is just the white :-k
JymKhana

Post by JymKhana »

The wear looks a little like "character" to me but it probably shouldn't be happening so soon.
Laird
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 66

Post by Laird »

That sort of material should have eyelets ...
|C70s|C7 BB, IRR, BRG, RC, Hornet, Valjoux|C3 GT|C4 Phoenix|C40 SpeedHawk|C5 BoB, Aviator|C8 Pilots*3, UTC & AD|C60 316L Y, O, B, GMT, DD Valjoux|C65 316LE,Classic LE, DT LE, 2VEV|C1 WT|C9 Pulse, JH2, AMGT, SSH21|C11 HRDC & Makaira|
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

Richard D wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:20 am Just wondering if this issue is only with the #tide with the white thread. I have a strap with the light blue thread and have yet to see any wear.
That's interesting, please post about the wear as time goes by.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
Ttf23
Guru
Guru

Post by Ttf23 »

Leon O wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:58 pm
Richard D wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:20 am Just wondering if this issue is only with the #tide with the white thread. I have a strap with the light blue thread and have yet to see any wear.
That's interesting, please post about the wear as time goes by.
I’ve not had any wear on my blue one so far. But it is part of a rotation so it’s maybe only had a dozen or so wears.
Independent buyer and seller of Christopher Ward and other watches - Ward Hoard
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I have the black/orange version which came with my Sealander GMT. I have worn the watch solidly for about a month, though to be fair about 2/3 of that time has been on the hybrid strap which I ordered separately and find much more comfortable.

I have noticed a little wear on the inside between the holes that I use. I passed it over a candle flame and that seemed to work, though it is obviously still visible. However, it doesn’t bother me for a couple of reasons.
  • It’s small and cosmetic, and the strap is a fairly casual affair anyway.
  • It’s on the inside, and if it did translate to the outside it would be largely masked by the buckle.
  • I much prefer the other strap anyway and I will probably get the bracelet for this watch, as it’s a keeper.
In short, I can live with it.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

I had a virtual visit with Declan at the showroom today. CW are aware of the issue with the white #Tide straps. It seems to be restricted to the white version as shown by the OP. They are looking at the problem and for a solution. CW were quick to send out replacement versions of the original #Tide and I am sure they will do so again once they have fixed the issue.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I like nice quality leather straps, but I must say I struggle to see why a non leather strap should command anything like the same price.