C65 GMT mk1 vs mk2, what’s the difference?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

C65 GMT mk1 vs mk2, what’s the difference?

Post by johncolescarr »

I’ve tried to answer this question by google and searching the forum but to no avail, so here goes.

I am the proud owner of a black “mk1” C65 GMT 41mm, but I’m thinking of trading for a blue “mk2” GMT. I’m trying to find out the following;

1. Was there ever a mk1 GMT! It’s not listed as such on the archive, which lists the C65 GMT with sale dates of 2018/08-2021/02, but there is no mk1 or mk2 designation. However the website still has it for sale, again with no mk2 designation. Clearly there are differences but it seems they were all small iterations of the same model.

2. My C65 GMT has the older style c60 mk2 bracelet clasp and flat end link, whereas the newer version has the more scalloped clasp and end links with raised centre (which I much prefer).

Now for the conundrum, did this newer style of bracelet always come with half links or is it just the new replacement ones from the website (CW customer services have confirmed that “mk2” C65 bracelets come with half links now). If the answer is no, is there any way to get hold of the half links other than buy a new bracelet? The reason I ask is the full links are just on that cusp of either too loose or too tight.

3. Is the lume on the newer watches still faux patina? Hard to tell from photos.

Sorry for super nerdy questions but there is very little info out there on the evolution of this model which is hands down my favourite CW to date
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: C65 GMT mk1 vs mk2, what’s the difference?

Post by rkovars »

johncolescarr wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:33 pm I’ve tried to answer this question by google and searching the forum but to no avail, so here goes.

I am the proud owner of a black “mk1” C65 GMT 41mm, but I’m thinking of trading for a blue “mk2” GMT. I’m trying to find out the following;

1. Was there ever a mk1 GMT! It’s not listed as such on the archive, which lists the C65 GMT with sale dates of 2018/08-2021/02, but there is no mk1 or mk2 designation. However the website still has it for sale, again with no mk2 designation. Clearly there are differences but it seems they were all small iterations of the same model.

2. My C65 GMT has the older style c60 mk2 bracelet clasp and flat end link, whereas the newer version has the more scalloped clasp and end links with raised centre (which I much prefer).

Now for the conundrum, did this newer style of bracelet always come with half links or is it just the new replacement ones from the website (CW customer services have confirmed that “mk2” C65 bracelets come with half links now). If the answer is no, is there any way to get hold of the half links other than buy a new bracelet? The reason I ask is the full links are just on that cusp of either too loose or too tight.

3. Is the lume on the newer watches still faux patina? Hard to tell from photos.

Sorry for super nerdy questions but there is very little info out there on the evolution of this model which is hands down my favourite CW to date
1. I'm not 100% certain here but I think the head has not changed at all. Mine is serial #0027 and it is identical to the website as far as I can tell. The blue dial was the first to go and now it looks like the Pepsi is gone too.

2. No it didn't. They are new for this summer. If you email customer service they will send you some. Note however that the new end links do not fit the bracelet with raised mid links. Pic - top Dartmouth, middle Super Compressor, bottom C65 gen 1 MKII. You will notice that the mid links are wider on the newer Dartmouth Bracelet.
20210527_151810786_iOS (2).jpg
3. It is definitely old Radium lume. The Pepsi had white. The blue had old Radium too.

The blue watches got discontinued pretty quickly so I doubt that they ever sold with the newer wider mid link bracelets. The owner may have bought one after the fact who knows. You can tell right away which bracelet it is by the pushers. If the bracelet has small round pushers with micro adjust then it is the older raised mid link bracelet. If it has elongated pushers then it is the newer one.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

There hasn't been a Mk1 and/or Mk2 C65 GMT merely the three variants of Black, Blue and Black with Pepsi Bezel, as you have found in the
CWArchive ignoring the Anthropocene and World Timer variants.

What there has been is a running change with the adoption from Mk1 C60/C65 style bracelet with Mk1 clasp to the Mk2 bracelet with wider centre link, upgraded clasp and integrated quick release spring bars; as comprehensively written up by @rkovars in the post above.

Hope this helps.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

@rkovars, wow and a huge thank you for the detail and effort of your response, particularly the bracelet part, the photo really helped with my understanding.

I asked customer services about bracelet compatibility (using the mk1 and mk2 designations, which probably confused things) and they said the mk2 bracelet does not fit the mk1 watch, they must have thought I meant the C65 mk1.
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

johncolescarr wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:40 am I asked customer services about bracelet compatibility (using the mk1 and mk2 designations, which probably confused things) and they said the mk2 bracelet does not fit the mk1 watch, they must have thought I meant the C65 mk1.
I think they may have been confused with a C60. In the photo above, both the first and last fit the C65 41mm case just fine (the top bracelet is the latest version that came with my Dartmouth). The Super Compressor and the Chrono have different end links due to case shape and case thickness (in the case of the chrono).

Just to be clear, this will fit all of the 41mm cased C65s - 22-STL-10-SXS-MA and is compatible with the new half links. If you buy one it may or may not come with the half links installed but if you ask CS they will get you some.

The photos are a little misleading. You can see that the main item photo is the correct bracelet. But when you look at the bracelet on the C65 Diver you can see it has the thinner raised mid links which is the old one. The SH21 photo is also the older bracelet.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

rkovars wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:24 pm
johncolescarr wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:40 am I asked customer services about bracelet compatibility (using the mk1 and mk2 designations, which probably confused things) and they said the mk2 bracelet does not fit the mk1 watch, they must have thought I meant the C65 mk1.
I think they may have been confused with a C60. In the photo above, both the first and last fit the C65 41mm case just fine (the top bracelet is the latest version that came with my Dartmouth). The Super Compressor and the Chrono have different end links due to case shape and case thickness (in the case of the chrono).

Just to be clear, this will fit all of the 41mm cased C65s - 22-STL-10-SXS-MA and is compatible with the new half links. If you buy one it may or may not come with the half links installed but if you ask CS they will get you some.

The photos are a little misleading. You can see that the main item photo is the correct bracelet. But when you look at the bracelet on the C65 Diver you can see it has the thinner raised mid links which is the old one. The SH21 photo is also the older bracelet.
Wow, yes, feel like we should flag this to CW as it is a bit confusing. I really like the newer style bracelet over the old one, the larger centre link and scalloped clasp really complement the light catcher case.

I’m happy to report I have a pre owned blue C65 GMT with newer bracelet in the post right now. Think I may do a mini review comparing the two variants
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm