C6 Replacement sapphire crystal

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by monkeymax »

One of my Kingfishers is currently in for service, (yay!) and one of my requests for that service was a quote for the crystal to be replaced. Unfortunately it has acquired a small chip in the sapphire crystal (sorry Guy!). It's only noticeable if you're looking for it really though it casts a small shadow on the dial which bothers me a bit at times! I know watches are meant to bear the scars of use, and really if it was on the metal I'd probably be (relatively) happier with it, but with the lovely burnt orange dial that little spot is always there.

Sadly I've been advised the crystals aren't available anymore so a replacement isn't possible. Does anyone who has taken their C6 apart know of an alternative source of Crystals for these watches? Are C60 MkI or MkII crystals interchangeable with the C6 ones? (Though not sure where I'd even get one of those)
Admittedly it's not the end of the world - it's still a lovely watch - but it'd be nice to be able to sort that bit out one day!
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: C6 Replacement sapphire crystal

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Don't worry about it on my behalf, these things happen.

Sad that CW are not able to offer a replacement. There's a difficulty in that the C6 Kingfisher, as with other early model CW watches has a slightly convex crystal. Whereas the later C60s moved to a flat crystal. My gut instinct is to say that they are not interchangeable for this reason.

Whether a suitable replacement can be found 'after market' I don't know. Have a feeling that research will have to be done, or you live with it.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

monkeymax wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:39 pm ...Are C60 MkI or MkII crystals interchangeable with the C6 ones?...
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:18 pm ....My gut instinct is to say that they are not interchangeable...
My thought is that if a C60 crystal could be retrofitted, they would have offered that as an option. It’s unfortunate about the chip. Perhaps there’s a good story you can spin about how it came to be?
Drew
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

monkeymax wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:39 pm One of my Kingfishers is currently in for service, (yay!)
I checked the website for service centre jobs this week and got the "still closed" screen: do you know something different?

monkeymax wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:39 pm and one of my requests for that service was a quote for the crystal to be replaced. Unfortunately it has acquired a small chip in the sapphire crystal (sorry Guy!). It's only noticeable if you're looking for it really though it casts a small shadow on the dial which bothers me a bit at times! I know watches are meant to bear the scars of use, and really if it was on the metal I'd probably be (relatively) happier with it, but with the lovely burnt orange dial that little spot is always there.
Oh that's sad. It sounds like it can't just be polished out/smooth?
monkeymax wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:39 pm Sadly I've been advised the crystals aren't available anymore so a replacement isn't possible. Does anyone who has taken their C6 apart know of an alternative source of Crystals for these watches? Are C60 MkI or MkII crystals interchangeable with the C6 ones? (Though not sure where I'd even get one of those)
Admittedly it's not the end of the world - it's still a lovely watch - but it'd be nice to be able to sort that bit out one day!
And that's the saddest of all: poor little C6. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: What we need right now is someone who has been involved in commissioning a short run watch production and so would know how to go about getting a batch made up. Or, thinking on my feet, there's that Chinese outfit turning out "homage" C60 lookalikes, perhaps they could be encouraged to make a short run of pastiche C6?
Or maybe there's an old order book at CW Towers and the original crystal manufacturer is actually just an email away?

Monkeymax I feel for you.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

I think that is very poor, CW want to be taken seriously, the Rolex of the internet, yet can't supply a crystal for a watch a few years old :shock: does this mean that they see their watches as disposable items. I think I will stop wearing my C65 for work and start wearing my SMP again, at least if that gets damaged I would be able to get it fixed. Hope you are able to sort it.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

kiter65 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:39 am I think that is very poor, CW want to be taken seriously, the Rolex of the internet, yet can't supply a crystal for a watch a few years old :shock: does this mean that they see their watches as disposable items. I think I will stop wearing my C65 for work and start wearing my SMP again, at least if that gets damaged I would be able to get it fixed. Hope you are able to sort it.
When Wera very kindly arranged for a white C6 to be assembled for me (oh foolish man for parting with it!) she did say that was the last case and dial that they had.

Maybe a better response for you could have been "We're out of stock at the moment but we'll look into getting some made...." I know I'm daydreaming so you don't need to say it.

I'm very much with you on this kiter65, I mean, how much space could even a big box of watch parts take up?
I suppose when you're a new watch brand and it comes to placing purchase orders you're probably thinking about return on capital and maybe "the long term" is a distant dream.

And yet we hear of Zenith opening a drawer in a box in an attic and someone finding a dial.......

My recent post asking "where are all the C6 Kingfishers?" did seem to conclude along the lines of "cheap quartz watch.... probably back of sock drawer etc".
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by monkeymax »

Thanks for the answers all! I was hoping someone had a simple answer but it's not the biggest problem that there isn't. It will just have to wear it as a small mark of pride - a little battle scar in the line of duty! (Luckily while there's not a 'story' behind it as such, the impact happened in an interesting location) I don't purposely bash these watches around at all as I really like them but equally they get used, so these things happen. Having never owned a C60 I didn't know the glass wasn't domed too on the MkI, so that's a good reason why they're not interchangeable I guess! I was just a little surprised as to me the crystal seems the most 'generic' part of the watch and as kiter said, it's the one part I thought they'd have a massive spare stock of. I have a 1960s Speedy that I can still get original NOS parts from Omega (though they are admittedly running low and aren't cheap) including some very specific parts to that calibre so I kind of always assumed that if something happened to the crystal on these watches, no problem.

As said on the first post, luckily it's the sort of thing that probably only I will know is there (and I'm not planning on selling it so no problem from that Point of view) so it's fine. Just a touch annoying.

tikkathree wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:02 amI checked the website for service centre jobs this week and got the "still closed" screen: do you know something different?
I originally requested the service back in March and then lockdown happened and they closed the service centre. I hadn't quite got around to sending the watch to them so that bit didn't happen. I wanted the watch serviced before moving overseas next month, so I was emailing pretty regularly. I think they finally got tired of my nagging! :lol: To their credit, customer service have been amazing regarding not losing their patience with me!

Anyway, it's been with them for a while waiting for the service to begin but sadly given they are currently quoting 8-10 weeks lead time it may still not come with me. Fingers crossed.

I get a feeling there's a backlog of service orders (so maybe I shouldn't have said this service was happening!) so they're probably working through those still. Apparently they're working with a reduced capacity for servicing, so can't be easy right now.
tikkathree wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:02 amOr maybe there's an old order book at CW Towers and the original crystal manufacturer is actually just an email away?
I'd like to think that's the case but I suspect it's unlikely we'd ever get that information.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Is there more to a crystal than just being round (assuming this is a round crystal), with a given thickness, and flat/domed/box shape sufficient to clear the hands, and a certain height to install into the watch case? Is there a specification available for this one?

Would it matter if it wasn't the exact same shape, but still fitted correctly. I know they aren't the easiest things to measure. Maybe you could even find an acrylic replacement that would fit.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Might be a good place to start:

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/100mm ... -sapphire1

I also think it poor that CW do not keep spares, disquieting.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by monkeymax »

Thanks! The Cousins one was my first thought too but I don't know the measurements of the crystal. I think if it's something I'm going to tackle myself or get a watch maker (i.e. not CW) to look into it's a year away as I've got a lot else on! ;) Gives me some time to find a spare donor Kingfisher so I'm not taking apart one that I care about!
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

They used to say car makers would guarantee to have spare parts available for 10 years after any given model was discontinued. I'm not sure there is a similar "rule" for watch manufacturers.

In CW's defence, the Kingfisher has been discontinued since 2009-2011 (different models retired in that period but last one by 2011) so almost 10 years.

A shame you can't get a replacement crystal but it sounds like you can live with it, gives the watch a bit of character!
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

I’m sure Mike France mentioned at one of the get togethers last year that CW was starting to look into improving in this regard. I’m sure someone may correct me, but it’s definitely come out at some point, if not at a GTG, maybe in loupe?

Anyway, it was claimed CW are wanting to look at holding stock for watches for longer so we can get them repaired if they get damaged in future. It is something CW need to improve on if they want start charging higher prices.

Looking at some comments above about parts costing more and more for older watches from some brands. It may be that it is intended to be this way, you can get it fixed but it’ll be more than the value of the watch. Therefore only highly sentimental pieces will get repaired, while retaining what limited stock is held.

I hope my memory of what Mike started is correct and CW do consider the refurbishment of older models important to their growth.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

I’ve already made a comment on this, but seriously how hard would it be to stock a few items of replacement parts of each watch CW have made? It’s a throw away world, they talk about passing on their watches to the next generation but only if you don’t wear them and keep them mint because you will not get any parts if you damage them :shock: just think how much they could make selling parts for older models :? and keeping customers who have invested in their watches happy. Sorry to go on about this but as some of you know who follow my posts that I do a lot of recycling and it really pi##&s me off is the OP can’t replace a simple item like a crystal :censored: :grumble: you might as well just buy a throw away fashion brand :?
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

kiter65 wrote:I’ve already made a comment on this, but seriously how hard would it be to stock a few items of replacement parts of each watch CW have made?
Unlike the big players, they clearly haven’t latched on to the idea that parts and servicing is where the real money is to be made. It’s true for cars as well as watches.

As the company matures, I’m sure that will change, but for the moment their *relatively* inexpensive servicing is something to be enjoyed. Most parts, when available, are not too badly priced either.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I must admit I am puzzled as to why they cannot replace the crystal. They may be out of OEM crystals for this, but there is a world full of generics that I am surprised they do not have or cannot locate. If CW is not willing to replace with a generic I am sure that a local watchmaker would, even if it needs to be ordered.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.