The Curmudgeons Corner

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
wes123
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Re: The Curmudgeons Corner

Post by wes123 »

A bloke tried to scam me and get me to sell a watch outside of eBay... I'm a bit annoyed to say the least. There are some people with very low ideas of morals out there.
That thou art blamed shall not be thy defect,
For slander's mark was ever yet the fair;
William Shakespeare - Sonnet 70
downer

Post by downer »

Had some new tyres fitted to my motorbike 2 weeks ago. They transformed the handling. Last night I spotted a nail in the rear tyre...

It seems to be an unwritten rule: Punctures are far more likely in new tyres!
Richard
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

The absolute pain trying to get a simple order change done via CW customer services.

Ordered a Sealander with oak strap. Would like the oak XS strap, which wasn't an option when I ordered.

2 unanswered emails
8 unanswered phone calls
3 unreturned voice mails

Finally 20 minutes on the phone to get it sorted. It really shouldn't have been that difficult.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Been giddy all day at work knowing a new watch was being delivered today and would be waiting for me when I got home.

Eagerly opened the box to find the hour and minute hands really badly out of alignment and the one o’clock lug refinished and looking like it was polished with a cactus.

I’ve not removed the security tag and it’s going back.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

I’m not sure if this is for the curmudgeons corner or not and to the untrained eye it might look like a reply to my previous post above, which it’s not as that’s not allowed here.

I received a new watch yesterday and it had a few issues. However it was not easy to find so I’ve been having a play with it to see if I can love it like I want to.

The misaligned hands have been sorted out, it’s a GMT so it took a bit of setting and adjusting to bring everything back, i suspect it might have been disturbed in transit. I also gave the lug a quick fettle so it’s now perfectly acceptable to my eyes once more.

So what the curmudgeon part? I now have a watch that I’ve started a returns process for in haste but I’m now perfectly happy with and have to go through the process of cancelling everything again. (OK so it’s only a minor curmudgeon but they all count on here)
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 3):
Bahnstormer_vRSjtcjkbarnes
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I have a weekly food shopper for my mother. She gives him a check that he presents at the store that goes through an independent check approval system.

When we first started doing this they would not approve the checks because there was no history in the system. I called and they said you need to have processed checks through them to gain history first.

I ask them…how does she get a history if you do not approve any checks?
Anyway, we made an arrangement, and all was good until recently. Her last 2 checks were declined.

I call the number as requested and input the required information. I wait 10 minutes to speak with a rep who then asks me for the exact same information! Why I ask must I repeat all the information? She responds that the initial info merely directs you to the correct rep to help you. That info does not remain in the system. Okay then…that seems stupid and quite inefficient, but she is only working with the system she was given. After she discovers that she cannot decide why the check was declined I get transferred to a supervisor. Guess what? I now must start from scratch and give all the same info again….ludicrous I say!

Long story short, It appears the bank changed the account number by dropping a 0 at the beginning of the account number. As a result, the company had no history on this account number and therefore could not approve. Here we go again!!! They said they must have a history to approve the checks.

I said the same thing I said a year ago except I added she does have a history. Only the account number has changed. I am then transferred to the department manager. Guess what? I now need to repeat all the info again and explain the situation as if on auto repeat. After 10 minutes of having a circle conversation I suggested moving her history to the new account number. Brilliant he says! I can do that. Duh…problem solved.

Why doesn’t the info transfer? Why didn’t the supervisor or the manager suggest the moving the history when we determined the issue? Why does it take 42 minutes to solve a problem created by a dropped 0.

You have to love technology and the lack of common sense. I won’t even get into my disdain for automated answering systems.
These users thanked the author Kip for the post (total 4):
jkbarnesscampbell61ThermexmanTally
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

Two step phone verification for a phone is a nightmarishly stupid loop that could be avoided with an alternate number in the verification system. My mother was hospitalized and not able to talk, temporarily. During this time my mother’s cell phone account was made dormant for lack of payment. Her credit card had expired and the automated phone system needed to send a verification code to the dormant phone to update the expiration date. With, with the account dormant, I could not get the code from the phone to grant access to the account change. I talked to the first rep to explain the situation and she was not about to help because I was not the authorized account holder. They needed to talk to the account holder. I explained the situation and got passed to a 2nd level rep, who put me on hold, then dropped my call. So I had to repeat the process, the explanation, and the hold to get to someone who could help. Only they couldn’t help; they had to send a code to the phone to verify the account, since my mother the account holder, was not able to speak to them. I said words to the effect I could assure them the quality of this service was poor and that I really hoped they were recording the call for later review. Somehow I was disconnected. I had to go to a physical store to get the problem straightened out. The abrupt and surly agent at the store resolved the matter after first encountering the system’s need for secondary code verification, and told me I could have completed all this on line or by phone without coming in. I succinctly reminded him of the secondary verification and related how the phone reps seemed to get stuck on this point. Online support needs the same two-step code. Hmm… and grrr…
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

UPS. I think the acronym must mean Useless P@#%&$ of S*%#!

Package on the truck at 6am on Wednesday from the depot 20 miles away, for delivery by EOD.
Cancelled.
Package on the truck at 3am on Thursday from the depot 20 miles away, for delivery by EOD.
Cancelled.
Called to ask status, guaranteed it will be delivered Friday and the depot would call me within an hour.
Nothing.
Called to ask status, guaranteed it will be delivered Saturday.
Nothing shows in the tracker today (Saturday).
Called mid-morning to follow up, offered to drive over and get it, but they said it was being loaded onto the trailer “right now”, and guaranteed it will be delivered today.
Nothing?

#UPoS
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Virgin Media price hike.

Perhaps I should keep my thoughts to myself.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

Immediately put off any Youtube video which starts off with words to the effect of "Right then Guys".

Condascending, sexist, patronizing and usually precedes a few minutes of ill-considered codswallop.
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

Feeling like I had to bite my tongue late last week when chatting to the nice salesman at the Grand Seiko section of WoS and he tells me that spring drive watches need a battery change once every five years.
wes123
Senior
Senior

Post by wes123 »

Phone broken Wednesday last week, took it to get repaired - can do it for Saturday...
OK, no worries, I'll just buy a new one. No delivery Thursday. Nor Friday. Nor yet Saturday: or Sunday. Delivery Monday? No.
I do hope it arrives today
That thou art blamed shall not be thy defect,
For slander's mark was ever yet the fair;
William Shakespeare - Sonnet 70
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Ugh, one of my cars failed inspection. The culprit was something that was replaced 11 months ago. The good news is the repair ought to be covered under warranty. The bad news is a) the part in question failed again because of another part that should have also been replaced initially but wasn’t because a replacement part wasn’t available and b) getting the car repaired is going to create a logistical hot mess because we have exactly three cars and three drivers who need a car.

The worst part is that we only need another month out of this car, just enough to get my step-son through his high school graduation. If this had happened May 22 instead of April 22 I’d simply write off the car.
Drew
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

1984 anyone???
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

You know, I’ve known plenty of people who had funny looking kids, even ugly ones. But you know what I didn’t do when that proud parent excitedly shared with me a pic of their kid? I didn’t say, “Hey, what a funny looking kid.”

I don’t understand some people.
Drew