The "what watch are you day dreaming about now" thread

A place to discuss other watch-brands
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: The "what watch are you day dreaming about now" thread

Post by 0uatiOW »

This Buceador Caribe from Cuervo y Sobrinos caught my eye. It comes in a fully functional humidor….. Many of the watches from this little known brand are quite unlike anything I’ve seen before.

1EFDB413-90F2-4F2A-BFE7-FA5B78F6EB1D.jpeg
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

0uatiOW wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:54 pm This Buceador Caribe from Cuervo y Sobrinos caught my eye. It comes in a fully functional humidor….. Many of the watches from this little known brand are quite unlike anything I’ve seen before.

Interesting. What’s the purpose of the humidor?
Drew
audio.bill
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by audio.bill »

jkbarnes wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:07 am
0uatiOW wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:54 pm This Buceador Caribe from Cuervo y Sobrinos caught my eye. It comes in a fully functional humidor….. Many of the watches from this little known brand are quite unlike anything I’ve seen before.

From their website:

The Cuervo y Sobrinos watch models are by default presented in an elegant wooden case which transforms into a luxurious cigar humidifier, exclusively created for the label by specialized craftsmen, in the highest respect of tradition. The case is made of cedar wood that allows the perfect conservation of tobacco and emphasizes its aroma, thanks to its unmistakable scent. All the components used do not change the flavor and perfume of the cigars. Smoking an Havano is an authentic ritual, a ceremony requiring calmness, in harmony with the “Tiempo Lento” philosophy of Cuervo y Sobrinos.

Like a watch, a good cigar must be conserved with the best possible care, to then enjoy it with the greatest pleasure.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

audio.bill wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:55 am
jkbarnes wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:07 am

From their website:

The Cuervo y Sobrinos watch models are by default presented in an elegant wooden case which transforms into a luxurious cigar humidifier, exclusively created for the label by specialized craftsmen, in the highest respect of tradition. The case is made of cedar wood that allows the perfect conservation of tobacco and emphasizes its aroma, thanks to its unmistakable scent. All the components used do not change the flavor and perfume of the cigars. Smoking an Havano is an authentic ritual, a ceremony requiring calmness, in harmony with the “Tiempo Lento” philosophy of Cuervo y Sobrinos.

Like a watch, a good cigar must be conserved with the best possible care, to then enjoy it with the greatest pleasure.
Ahh, that’ cool. So it’s shipped in a watch case that can then be used as a humidor. That’s cool.
Drew
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Tried this on at AD few days ago whilst looking at Breitling SOH, just caught my eye and has given me a dilemma!
2-042-04-0247-hero.jpg
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

I like that :fondof: - great find :thumbup:
I'd not heard of the Company before so took a look.
...which of course has proved to be dangerous #-o
It would be great if every watch sold came with a Cuban cigar :D
CW257
Senior
Senior

Post by CW257 »

CyS is a brilliant under the radar brand. I’ve never seen one in the flesh, but the reviews on YouTube are always universally glowing.
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

So I'm dealing with this mental image of smoking a great cuban while simultaneously enjoying a great smokey Islay dram. All while wearing a bright blue watch..... :problem:
But that's just me. After all, I haven't been seen yet wearing the red, white and black strap that came with my C7 Rapide, which I actually really like. :lol:
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Currently, I'm daydreaming of owning, any one of these.
Maybe a white OP 41 could also be added to the want list.

20210706_175802-COLLAGE.jpg
Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

I don’t know that I’d say I’m dreaming about it, but I quite like this new white dial Aquascaphe from Baltic.

B46CB1B0-BB04-40ED-BBFD-7B46E4060623.jpeg
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Funny isn’t it? How these names can be so different in other languages…lost in translation!

Cuervo y Sobrinos. Off-duty bullfighters still in their Suits of Lights, enjoying post-corrida cigars, tapas and tequilas in a little bar just outside the Plaza de Toros.

Crow and Nephews. Dickensian lawyers’ clerks.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:12 pm

Funny isn’t it? How these names can be so different in other languages…lost in translation!

Cuervo y Sobrinos. Off-duty bullfighters still in their Suits of Lights, enjoying post-corrida cigars, tapas and tequilas in a little bar just outside the Plaza de Toros.

Crow and Nephews. Dickensian lawyers’ clerks.
Literal translations can be amusingly misleading. In fact Ramon Cuervo was the founder of a jewellers in 1862 in Havana. In 1882 he established a new company “Cuervo y Sobrinos” (with his… err…. nephews), selling jewellery and watches to high-end clientele. They started collaborating with Swiss watch brands, adding their name to the dials, before expanding into Europe in 1920, setting up a manufacturing site in Switzerland a few years later, making their own watches with a distinctive look. “Swiss Movement, Latin Heart” might have been their mantra. If you believe their publicity, they were held in the same esteem in Latin America as Cartier in Europe & Tiffany in the USA, before Castro nationalised them in 1965 and set them to supplying the Cuban military.

Resurrection came at the hands of some Italians in 1996, and “listo”. The watches have an unusual, even quirky, appearance, often quite flamboyant, reflecting the retro designs from decades ago (cornes de vache style lugs abound) - no sub-clone generic divers here.

Quality is reportedly very high, reviews glowing, but there aren’t many about, so I’m trying to get close to some, currently talking to the UK agents. The humidors masquerading as presentation boxes are intriguingly different and, dare I say, something to “crow” about. Que rico!
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

Something a bit "WIS"y
Sinn-U50-19.jpg
Doxa-Sub300-Navy-Caribbean-1087-768x500.jpg
This maybe a bit more mainstream
Oris18-Bracelet-Natural.jpg
Neil
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ I've not seen the DOXA Caribbean before, Neil. Its rather nice.

The Sinn U50 is good, but I'd prefer its U1 big brother.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

Zenith-Chronomaster-Sport-El-Primero-everyday-watch-sport-chronograph-steel-icon-movement-calibre-pioneer-review-light-dark-1.gif
Cheers now, Paul