Ceegee - July 2014

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
Ceegee
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Ceegee - July 2014

Post by Ceegee »

Ok, thought I'd post up my fairly small collection. I've consolidated a great deal in the last few months, as I realised that I was really only wearing a small number of my watches. I got up to 15 at one point but I'm now down to only six. However, I do like these six and can't see it changing much in the next year or so. This SOTC is therefore a sort of full stop to a period of manic watch buying in 2013/2014.

The Pelagos really brought my collection into focus. It's a watch that I absolutely love, it's not at all blingy, in fact it's the antithesis of bling, and has exactly the right "look" for me. My wife thinks it suits me like no other watch I own. And she tells me she's rarely wrong. A contemporary watch that doesn't look too much like it's DSSD sister. I wore it when trying on a host of Rolex watches recently, including revisiting the no-date ceramic bezel sub, the DSSD and the black/blue GMT Master II, and I prefer the Pelagos. When you like one watch this much and wear it a hell of a lot, owning over 10 seemed silly.

I now know what I like and if it ain't a divers watch or a chrono I'm unlikely to be tempted. I've tried a few dressier watches but they inevitably get flipped. Oh, and I absolutely hate hate hate skeleton dials. There. Said it.

When it comes to dive watches I like applied indices rather than painted dials. I prefer blue loom rather than green. I love crisp white indices in the daylight and the green lume, particularly on the Seiko divers I've owned, can give the indices an off-white hue in the daylight. Just my fussy opinion of course.

Where next. Well, as a friend pointed out at the weekend, I have six watches and there's seven days in the week. So I guess I may increase my collection to seven. But it's very unlikely to go above that number. I have a good idea what might be the next watch and I'm just waiting for Tudor to return to these shores in September so I can try on the blue Black Bay, the original red bezel Black Bay and the rather stealthy black and red (a colour combo I seem to like in watches) Fastrider Black Shield.

So here's my six. In order of preference (today).

Tudor Pelagos

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra (my dressiest watch but still not a "dress" watch)

Omega Seamaster Pro Chronograph

Bell & Ross BR126 Heritage

Longines Hydroconquest auto 41mm

Certina DS2 Precidrive Chronograph (my only quartz but with a nifty chronometer certified haq eta movement)

scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Re: Ceegee - July 2014

Post by scooter »

That's a very sensible collection you have there.

The Pelagos quite rightly stands out although the AT is not far behind.

Like you I would love to see and try out both the Black Bay and the blue Black Bay.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

An excellent collection, and a very salient point.. When you have most bases covered with 6, having 10 or 20 seems daft...Your collection really challenges my idea that I should have a dozen watches, and will probably cause a re-evaluation of what I really want. Again.

The Pelagos is a winning design IMO, and I look forward to trying one when Tudor UK launch in September.
Richard
Ceegee
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Ceegee »

Looks like the Tudor ADs are going to be busy come September. Perhaps we could organise a coach trip :lol:
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

'Never mind the quantity, feel the quality' seems to sum up this lovely collection. really like each and every one but if I had to pick it would be the B & R just by nose. Beautifully balanced collection. :clap:
FS Bremont solo 37
Cheers now, Paul
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Nice collection :) Very nice indeed!

It may be small in size (can I just add, that's a statement that most non-WIS people would be stunned by), but you have some serious items in there and it's quite a rational set. I think you could be right about the seventh day, and depending on whether you want a day of work or a day of rest maybe you need a beater (work) or another classic (rest) - maybe another Tudor, or perhaps ...tada... a Speedy?

Based on personal history, I must subscribe to the "there are only 30 or 31 days in the month...". Perhaps I could learn something ;)
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

A very solid collection mate.
I like them all, the Tudor and AT of course and I really the Certina.
vikingdrvr
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by vikingdrvr »

Sweet collection!
I too like the look of your Certina, caught my eye from the first time you posted it... :thumbup:
just wish it wasn't quartz :problem:
vikingdrvr

InComing: nada
InTheBox: C60 GMT, C7, C7IRR, C70 D-Type, C8, C11. Steinies: Nav B/OVM/OceanTi500/Racetimer X2/Chrono II. Others: SMP300M Chrono, SMdV, Alpina X2, Tissot Chrono, LLD, Heuer 2000 Auto, Breil...
Emily DT, Charlotte Deco, Coral (wife’s)
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

A beautiul collection you have settled into. Congratulations!

Is there a CW that might make the cut for #7?
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
gatehealing
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 9

Post by gatehealing »

Kip wrote:A beautiul collection you have settled into. Congratulations!

Is there a CW that might make the cut for #7?
I was wondering the same! Looks like you need a C9 5-day cosc in there! White or Blue.

Actually get both.

And send me one.

But only 40mm please

Jon
footycrazy
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by footycrazy »

6 very high quality pieces there Ceegee, 8) I also think a Speedmaster in some guise or the black bay / blue b-bay would finish it off nicely.

Thanks for sharing.
:clap:
Graham
Ceegee
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Ceegee »

Thanks everyone. I'm pretty content with this six.

For the seventh, either blue or red Black Bay is definitely high on the list. To footy and gaf, I did try a speedy pro a few months back. I really tried to like it. A black faced chrono with the added history, it ticked all my boxes and should have been a watch meant for me. But on the wrist I didn't think it was that special. I ended up getting the AT instead, as that just looked fantastic. Mind you I would love to try an Alaska Project Speedy one day. See if that one looks as good in real life.

As for CWL watches. None of the current crop float my boat. Sorry Kip and gatehealing. All the ones I do like are just too big. The thickness combined with the 43mm diameter, without bezel, just looks huge on my wrist and I have tried. It's a shame because I absolutely loved the c900 mono pusher when it was first released. If CWL release an auto chrono that is around 40mm I might be interested but all of the Harrison variations aren't any good for me. I'm keen to see if a no-date C60 with ceramic bezel and the new movement is in the offing anytime soon. That might be one I'd buy :D
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Ceegee, just echoing others comments. Interesting read and excellent post....quite enjoyed it. I've never tried on a Tudor but may have to find an AD and investigate the Pelagos. I understand your Diver/Sportswatch/Chrono passion as I look at my collection and that's spot on what it is. I've tried hard to keep mine at six watches but have crept up to eight. Any incomings will certainly need a distinct reason for arrival. "Less is more" as the saying goes.....

Hoping CW unveils something that is ceegee friendly !!

Congratulations!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

It is definitely a beautiful six, Ceegee. It's got a good mix of established heavy hitters and others that might be a little bit more off the beaten path. Count yourself lucky that you're among the folks who can feel content with fewer than 10. I imagine that it's a great place to be!

Of course, I behind those who push for a CWL to be your lucky #7, but I get what you mean about the case sizes of the recent offerings. Hopefully it won't be too long before the industry as a whole starts to trend back to smaller pieces.

Fabulous collection! Enjoy them.
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
Alex r
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Alex r »

A great collection that has been well thought out.
Ive never thought of lume colour been a deciding factor but having checked the lume on my collection its a very good point and one that i had over looked.
The pelagos and the b&r are the standouts for me.
I think the lucky #7 spot will be hard to fill unless you add a bit of Tudor colour.