Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Helix Von Smelix
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 108

SatNav

Post by Helix Von Smelix »

Hi All,
Just bought my new SatNav. A TomTom Go Live 1005. Very pleased with it, much improved on my TomTom GO910.
The old one had seen almost daily use for the last 6 years or so, and the hard drive was failing. New one fast to plan routes etc. The POI is a vast improvement, has a build in SIM so no need to connect via blue tooth to ones mobile phone. Map updates, speed cameras, traffic. You can plan arrival times, it will look back at your selected route for previous traffic and give you departure times based on any leeway you give it. All told am very impressed, other than the fact i could have put the money to another watch :shock:
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: SatNav

Post by downer »

Sounds like a lot of functionality. I have an older Garmin which works fine and provides free map updates for life. Mine has USA and UK maps, so is useful for finding Cracker Barrels when we go stateside. :)
Richard
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

I'll be wearing my new 2012 FLE, plus 12 secs after a week and two days, to check the accuracy of the clock on the sat nav built into my new Audi A6 next week. No freebies, a new DVD updates maps at a cost of £35.

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

HvS, you only live 4 miles from HQ...surely you know the way by now? :lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Helix Von Smelix
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:HvS, you only live 4 miles from HQ...surely you know the way by now? :lol:
A Red route i think! :thumbup:
dj7
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by dj7 »

:lol: What good is a SatNav? You can't wear it on your wrist! :lol:
Jonathan E
Junior
Junior

Post by Jonathan E »

My 7 year old TomTom 910 failed a few months back so I contacted their customer service dept. They sent a box for me to return it for inspection.....3 weeks later I received a fully reconditioned 910 free of charge, it looks like new!
Sorry,probably not what you wanted to hear but its not just CW that have superb customer service.
Helix Von Smelix
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Jonathan E wrote:My 7 year old TomTom 910 failed a few months back so I contacted their customer service dept. They sent a box for me to return it for inspection.....3 weeks later I received a fully reconditioned 910 free of charge, it looks like new!
Sorry,probably not what you wanted to hear but its not just CW that have superb customer service.
Sounds good. My 1005 has taken me to france. Lovely weather. Sitting outside in the sun. May get 910 sent back for the wife.
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by Loddonite »

Helix Von Smelix wrote:... My 1005 has taken me to france...
Where did you want to go?
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
Helix Von Smelix
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Loddonite wrote:
Helix Von Smelix wrote:... My 1005 has taken me to france...
Where did you want to go?
Was trying to get passport sorted in london :D
Leo David
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Leo David »

I had a loan of my brother's Navman a few years ago. Despite new upgrades it tried to take me off the autoroute insisting that i was driving over countryside and along rivers. In town it was fine, though. Bought a Garmin (now sadly deceased after I dropped it down a flight of stone steps) two years ago and used that in Portugal. It was excellent and the maps were up to date which is quite a feat in Portugal as new motorways and trunk roads seem to crop up every time I visit.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

I love my 7 year old Tom Tom One even with it's idiosyncrasies. There's part of the A30 in deepest Cornwall that it thinks is the A35.

I haven't had any updates for it over the years which means that new journeys can be entertaining.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-three: yes

Post by Loddonite »

My one and only experience with SatNav was on a Hertz hire car about five or six years ago. The Hertz "Neverlost" system was singularly poorly named.
I picked the car up at Dulles and tapped in the destination (a hotel in Glen Allen, Va). The interface was great - very easy to navigate. but things went downhill after that. I made the mistake of trusting it, rather than the evidence of my eyes, as I left the airport and it took me onto the local (toll) lanes of the airport access road rather than the express (free) lanes. On the Washington Beltway the voice kept saying "calculating rerowt" so I ignored it and followed the roadsigns. Once on I-95 it settled down, but then it decided to take me the long way round Richmond, I suspect it was unaware of the existence if I-295. I switched the damn thing off after that and relied on maps and helpful hotel, restaurant and office staff for directions - they never had to calculate a rerowt.
I'm sure SatNavs are now vastly better than the "everlost", but have not yet come across a situation when I wished I had one.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
downer

Post by downer »

I must admit I'd be lost without mine. (I know, sorry). Mrs D reckons I've lost the ability to read maps since I've had a satnav. And being a bloke, I've never had the ability to ask for directions.
Richard
xtriple
Forum gobshite
CW-watches: 3

Post by xtriple »

I've never been able to read maps :oops: Something that seemed to run in my family. I have always relied on Lorn to actually navigate us to wherever we are going. When we got satnav (a Mio Navman 400) I find it great, but it's still in front of her and she still tells me where to go as I can't hear the bloody thing!

Lorn is, it must be said, bloody brilliant at map reading! I know that goes against every grain of manhood but she is. I reckon she makes about 0.3 errors per 200 miles!

When we used to dirt bike, I had satnav ( a road Angel) on my bike programmed with every legal lane in Devon and Cornwall. All courtesy of Devon TRF who expended considerable resources in making this database available to members so we never went "off piste".
CW C3 CWS, C13 GWT, 2012 FLE. Tag Heuer. Citizen. Tissot Tudor. Breitling Colt + SuperOcean. Orient SK. Deep Blue. Seiko X2. Steinhart Ocean 1. Timex X3. MuDu. Longines. Yema. Omega Speedmaster +Seamaster SMP. Roamer. Sully. Bulova. Ingersol.