Tropic Rubber vs Hybrid Rubber Straps

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
shocolite
CW-watches: 5

Tropic Rubber vs Hybrid Rubber Straps

Post by shocolite »

Hi All,

When I purchased my C65 Automatic watch early last year I also ordered the rubber strap (22-RUB-01-SXB-DC-ST) with it.

This was my first CW rubber strap and it is very comfortable to wear. I subsequently ordered another CW strap but by then CW had changed to the hybrid straps. I find the hybrid straps stiffer and definitely not as soft or comfortable as the earlier rubber straps.

I see CW are now also selling Tropic Rubber straps and I read a few posts referring to these straps with comments that they are soft and comfortable.

Can anybody advise if the new Tropic Rubber straps are actually softer than the Hybrid Staps? Even better if anybody can give their opinion of the Tropic Strap compared to the older rubber straps (in terms of wearing comfort)?

Many Thanks!
C60 Elite 1000
C65 Trident Automatic
C60 BLUE LE
C60 Trident 300
C3 Malvern Chronograph mk.III
Citizen Eco-Drive Promaster Sailhawk
Casio G-Shock GST-W130BC-1AER & GA-800
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Tropic Rubber vs Hybrid Rubber Straps

Post by Bident »

It sounds like you might have received the old Hybrid strap, which was thicker and stiffer. CW fairly quickly switched over to the version 2 Hybrid which is much thinner and I believe more comfortable (although I have neither version so can't say definitively). I just purchased the Tropic strap and it is very comfortable, quite thin, and seems to be the same general size and shape of the Hybrid version 2 except it is all rubber (no Cordura) and of course has the basket weave pattern. Comparing the Tropic to my old CW rubber strap (which I believe is the 22-RUB-SBX-DC-ST you referenced; it has the horizontal grooved lines that fade on the outer side and the continuous twin flags pattern underneath), I would say the Tropic is more comfortable because it is quite a bit thinner. I found the old CW rubber strap to be a bit stiff initially, but after it broke in I wore it frequently as it became quite comfy. The Tropic feels even better and is quite a bit lighter on wrist. I have read though, that some find the Hybrid/Tropic's underside pattern to be uncomfortable, but that has not been the case with me. Hope this helps.
Best regards,
John
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Bident wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:17 pm It sounds like you might have received the old Hybrid strap, which was thicker and stiffer. CW fairly quickly switched over to the version 2 Hybrid which is much thinner and I believe more comfortable (although I have neither version so can't say definitively). I just purchased the Tropic strap and it is very comfortable, quite thin, and seems to be the same general size and shape of the Hybrid version 2 except it is all rubber (no Cordura) and of course has the basket weave pattern. Comparing the Tropic to my old CW rubber strap (which I believe is the 22-RUB-SBX-DC-ST you referenced; it has the horizontal grooved lines that fade on the outer side and the continuous twin flags pattern underneath), I would say the Tropic is more comfortable because it is quite a bit thinner. I found the old CW rubber strap to be a bit stiff initially, but after it broke in I wore it frequently as it became quite comfy. The Tropic feels even better and is quite a bit lighter on wrist. I have read though, that some find the Hybrid/Tropic's underside pattern to be uncomfortable, but that has not been the case with me. Hope this helps.
Well I think you’ve sold me on the new tropic strap!
Drew
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:12 pm
Hi Andrew,

You might want to wait for the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale. I picked both the black and blue up during the recent 15% off sale. I think the black would look terrific with your new C65 AM GT. Hopefully someday they'll make a 20mm version as well since that would look great with your C65 Vintage.

Cheers!
Best regards,
John
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Bident wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:52 pm
Hi Andrew,

You might want to wait for the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale. I picked both the black and blue up during the recent 15% off sale. I think the black would look terrific with your new C65 AM GT. Hopefully someday they'll make a 20mm version as well since that would look great with your C65 Vintage.

Cheers!
It’s the C65 Vintage of was thinking about. Doesn’t come in 20mm at the moment? Huh...
Drew
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:30 am
Hi Andrew,

Cheers!
It’s the C65 Vintage of was thinking about. Doesn’t come in 20mm at the moment? Huh...
Yeah, I think since most of the C65 Retro Dive line is 22mm, they didn't think it would be worth it to have a 20mm size. Although I think tropic straps would look great on the C60 line as well, and both the 38mm and 40mm case sizes are 20mm lug widths.
Best regards,
John
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Bident wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:51 am
jkbarnes wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:30 am
Hi Andrew,

Cheers!
Yeah, I think since most of the C65 Retro Dive line is 22mm, they didn't think it would be worth it to have a 20mm size. Although I think tropic straps would look great on the C60 line as well, and both the 38mm and 40mm case sizes are 20mm lug widths.
I agree 100%. I just assumed the strap was available in size to fit the C60 line of dive watches, and by extension, my C65 Vintage. I guess it’s not that big a deal, as I love my C65 on the bracelet anyway.
Drew
shocolite

Post by shocolite »

Hi John, thanks for your response - it has answered my questions. I cannot find anything on the CWarchives regarding straps. As the other posts suggest I will perhaps wait for a sale and try a Tropic strap. I have been changing over to the quick-release straps as I find my fingers are not as nimble as they used to be.
C60 Elite 1000
C65 Trident Automatic
C60 BLUE LE
C60 Trident 300
C3 Malvern Chronograph mk.III
Citizen Eco-Drive Promaster Sailhawk
Casio G-Shock GST-W130BC-1AER & GA-800
Kvam

Post by Kvam »

Thanks for the information in this thread. I must also have one of the older hybrid straps, as mine is very uncomfortable. Never use it and have purchased a Barton rubber instead. I have a C65 Vintage GMT and a C7 Apex, both at 22mm. Can anyone confirm that the new hybrids are comfortable, or should I look at a tropic?

Thanks.
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

Kvam wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:37 pm Thanks for the information in this thread. I must also have one of the older hybrid straps, as mine is very uncomfortable. Never use it and have purchased a Barton rubber instead. I have a C65 Vintage GMT and a C7 Apex, both at 22mm. Can anyone confirm that the new hybrids are comfortable, or should I look at a tropic?

Thanks.
New CW Hybrids are thinner and confirmed comfortable. Barton Elite Silicon also extremely comfortable
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Kvam

Post by Kvam »

Viognier wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:57 pm
Kvam wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:37 pm Thanks for the information in this thread. I must also have one of the older hybrid straps, as mine is very uncomfortable. Never use it and have purchased a Barton rubber instead. I have a C65 Vintage GMT and a C7 Apex, both at 22mm. Can anyone confirm that the new hybrids are comfortable, or should I look at a tropic?

Thanks.
New CW Hybrids are thinner and confirmed comfortable. Barton Elite Silicon also extremely comfortable
How do the Hybrids compare to the Barton Elite? Agree on the Barton Elite, they are the base line now for me. Only tropic that is close for me is my Meraud tropic strap.
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

Kvam wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:01 pm How do the Hybrids compare to the Barton Elite? Agree on the Barton Elite, they are the base line now for me. Only tropic that is close for me is my Meraud tropic strap.
I have only worn the original CW Hybrid ( I was okay with it but landslide feedback from this forum that the new version is far superior) and I have the Barton Silicon Elite which is effortlessly comfortable.

Scroll through CWL of the Day and lots of tropics posted. Consider quoting that picture or send a PM to those members for their CW Tropic strap feedback.

Hope that helps.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Can somebody tell me if the new CW Tropics taper from 22mm down to 20mm?
Tim
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

timor54 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:04 pm Can somebody tell me if the new CW Tropics taper from 22mm down to 20mm?
Yep, the tropic is 20mm at the buckle. Just put the caliper on it.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

rkovars wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:29 pm
timor54 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:04 pm Can somebody tell me if the new CW Tropics taper from 22mm down to 20mm?
Yep, the tropic is 20mm at the buckle. Just put the caliper on it.
Thank you 🙏
Tim