LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Nato strap question

Post by Kip »

I get it.....and I have tried them...

They are inexpensive...

They seem comfortable..

They are easily cleaned...

They come in multiple styles and flavors...

but...

Am I the only one that thinks they look awkward on a watch? No matter how hard I have tried I just can't get past the appearance.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Re: Nato strap question

Post by MiniMpi »

I agree with you Kip, not for me.
alphajet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by alphajet »

I first started wearing NATO straps back in the 70's, at that time I was a hands on aircraft fitter and my watch strap would get covered in aviation fuel, hydraulic and engine oil on a daily basis. Leather straps rot away very quickly in that environment but NATO straps were cheap and could be scrubbed clean with soap and water.
Why not wear a bracelet? Well back then bracelets usually only came on divers watches, I had a succession of cheap and affordable Timex automatics. There were the expanding bracelets of course but they were for old men. So NATO straps remind me of my youth, that's why I like them. :D
If you do not like the look of the two piece straps, there are the one piece RAF pattern.

No more Quartz (except when I cannot resist).
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by scooter »

I'm with alphajet for pretty much the same reasons.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Mr Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 17

Post by Mr Rick »

I have found leather NATOs to be the best of both worlds. But obviously some watches look good on them, and some do not. I particularly like the look of this one on my C5 Aviator.

Rick

Various vintage Heuers
CW C8 Pilot MK I and II, 2011 and 13 FLEs, C5 B of B and Malvern Aviator MK II, C11 MSL MK I, C70 DBR1, C60 and C60 GMT, C9 Harrison, C9 Chrono, C10 Aviator
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

I am not all that keen on the "extra" that you jave to loop back. I think that is what gives it it's ungainly appearance. They are easy to cut back though.

Before

After - lump gone

The other option is a 2 piece nylon that has some of the advantages of a NATO and some of a standard strap.

From someone who was very puzzled about why people would wear such things a few years ago I now have a few of my watches on NATOs and find them comfortable - especially when doing jobs about the house.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

They don't work on all watches. They look right at home on divers, and even more so on mil-pil's. I love the look of my Hammy Field and SKX on Nato's, and, as Rick said, the C5A on a leather Nato is just about perfect. I seem to have acquired a few Nato's:
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
footycrazy
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by footycrazy »

Their is also the safety aspect of the one piece Nato, that if one spring pin gives way it will not fall to the floor.
Graham
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Cirrus »

I am partial to the NATO style but with velcro fixings... not smart, but very comfortable.

--
Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
Soulspawn
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 0

Post by Soulspawn »

ianblyth wrote:I am not all that keen on the "extra" that you jave to loop back. I think that is what gives it it's ungainly appearance. They are easy to cut back though.
I actually like that loop back bit the best. I find it makes the watch look more rugged and special.
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by poppydoodlesdad »

ianblyth wrote:I am not all that keen on the "extra" that you jave to loop back. I think that is what gives it it's ungainly appearance. They are easy to cut back.
I agree the fold of fabric can be an annoyance but not as bad as the additional flap of rubber on a lot of dive straps.

I think Kip answered his own question in the OP - they're cheap, comfortable and often a bit of fun.

They don't suit all watches and I have to say I've usually only used them temporarily while waiting to get a bracelet re-sized for example, or just for a bit of variety.

They definitely have a place and I for one am all for them!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Some watches
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

As a young Army Officer in the late 1970 / early 1980s I had an 'issue' watch, Military style, black face, very luminous hands & number and light / slim case secured with a regulation olive green NATO strap on which it made perfect sense to fold the long end of the strap back under out of the way.

The NATO that would get sweaty, muddy etc., being hard wearing and washable, was a perfect strap for this lightweight watch.

Having become a Civvie, for the last 30 years I've exclusively worn a variety of Seikos with bracelets. These suit my slightly sweaty wrist. In the last 10 months I've got into 'proper' watches with a selection of bracelets and straps. I've yet to try any of my current collection with NATOs but may well do in the summer in the name of preserving my leather straps.

Looking at the variety of watches and straps that there are these days, I do though feel that a NATO only really suites a slim, light watch watch e.g. Military / Aviator but larger, chunkier watches i.e. my C40 Speedhawk are too big; unless a chunkier leather NATO is used.

PS> One comment on the majority of NATO straps - bright stainless steel buckle etc. is wrong.

Just my two pence worth.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Cirrus wrote:I am partial to the NATO style but with velcro fixings... not smart, but very comfortable.
I have one on my Casio that I fitted before my little stroll across Spain. It was the only watch I wore for 5 weeks and was extremely comfortable. It was also the first time I'd worn a watch on the right wrist (I alternated to avoid white watch-lines)
Here it is with my pilgrim record and certificate.

Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Cirrus wrote:I am partial to the NATO style but with velcro fixings... not smart, but very comfortable.
I have one on my Casio that I fitted before my little stroll across Spain. It was the only watch I wore for 5 weeks and was extremely comfortable. It was also the first time I'd worn a watch on the right wrist (I alternated to avoid white watch-lines)
Here it is with my pilgrim record and certificate.
Just out of interest..... if you did the same trip again this summer, would you take the same, single watch?
Richard
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Loddonite »

Most of my 'weekend' watches are on NATOs. As well as the comfort factor and ruggedness I like that they are available in so many colours and the plainer ones furniture can be had in shiny, matt and pvd.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.