Is it just me......

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Is it just me......

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

....that finds changing watch straps a really fiddly job?

There are some on this forum who have the patience and ability to painstakingly create incredible things - one member created their own multi unit watch winder; another has embarked on a watch mending course; I bet there are those that could effortlessly split an atom with a butter knife without so much as breaking in to a sweat. Yet I seem to struggle with the basics of changing a strap for a bracelet.

Don't get me wrong - I can remove the CW spring loaded straps with the ease of a seasoned professional but try replacing it with a bracelet. Fingers, thumbs everywhere; cursing; language to make a navvy blush; Spring loaded pins flying off in all directions like a turbo charged Zebedee.

Anyway rant over - but if I ever post that I'm going to change a bracelet; please someone remind me not too.

Thanks
ArmyMedicDad
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Re: Is it just me......

Post by ArmyMedicDad »

Right there with you. Because of a medical condition that affects my hands (among other things), I can no longer accomplish fine-tuned things like switching out bands or changing their length. Probably one reason why I haven't worn a watch in like 10 years. Really hate going into my local watch shop and have them do it - and they come back 60 seconds later with everything as it should.

And may I be so bold to ask what your username refers to? Only asking because I was born and raised in Kansas City (and still live there).
John
Laco Paderborn
Only after being retired, do I finally land my dream job >>> Certified Barbeque Judge
akirk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by akirk »

I am not very dextrous but find it okay as long as it is done very slowly :) and keeping the watch on something soft and having an empty desk to find the springs when they vanish!

Alasdair
Tracking Christopher Ward watch prices on ebay globally at Watchroll
Tracking Bremont watch prices on ebay globally at Watchtrace
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

ArmyMedicDad wrote:Right there with you. Because of a medical condition that affects my hands (among other things), I can no longer accomplish fine-tuned things like switching out bands or changing their length. Probably one reason why I haven't worn a watch in like 10 years. Really hate going into my local watch shop and have them do it - and they come back 60 seconds later with everything as it should.

And may I be so bold to ask what your username refers to? Only asking because I was born and raised in Kansas City (and still live there).
Thanks for your words of support. I'm hoping to build of merry brothers (and sisters) for whom bracelet changing is a challenge.

With regards the name........ It's nothing quite so exotic as being from Kansas
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

depends on the watch and the strap, but yes. mostly cuz i'm so freaking blind up close now. i probably need one of those giant magnifying arms with a light built in and 10x or more magnification. seems like overkill for changing straps, though.

then again, scratching a watch that costs in the 4 figures... maybe it's not such a stretch.
the "g" is for Greg...
Fnew
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Fnew »

gwells wrote:depends on the watch and the strap, but yes. mostly cuz i'm so freaking blind up close now. i probably need one of those giant magnifying arms with a light built in and 10x or more magnification. seems like overkill for changing straps, though.

then again, scratching a watch that costs in the 4 figures... maybe it's not such a stretch.
I don't think that's overkill at all. In fact, I would bet that most jewelers use a lighted magnifying glass when changing straps. I have found that having the proper took for the job makes a huge difference.
Fred

C60 COSC, Orient Mako XL, Raymond Weil Traditions Auto, Daniel JeanRichard Grand TV, Vintage Omega Seamaster, Baume & Mercier Riveria Auto, Citizen Eco Drive, 121 Time Custom Chrono, Invicta Speedway, vintage Seiko Business A, the one I built
ArmyMedicDad
Senior
Senior

Post by ArmyMedicDad »

Kansas City Milkman wrote:It's nothing quite so exotic as being from Kansas
Just an FYI concerning Kansas City.

The major part of the city, including the NFL football team Kansas City Chiefs, the Major League baseball team Kansas City Royals, plus most of the art galleries, museums, attractions, international airport, concert venues, and population, is on the Missouri side of the state line and not on the Kansas side. I just thought you might have a connection with that Missouri side.
John
Laco Paderborn
Only after being retired, do I finally land my dream job >>> Certified Barbeque Judge
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Fnew wrote:
gwells wrote:depends on the watch and the strap, but yes. mostly cuz i'm so freaking blind up close now. i probably need one of those giant magnifying arms with a light built in and 10x or more magnification. seems like overkill for changing straps, though.

I don't think that's overkill at all. In fact, I would bet that most jewelers use a lighted magnifying glass when changing straps. I have found that having the proper took for the job makes a huge difference.
I do a lot of changing straps and bracelets daily. The old eyes are not what they used to be so I do use a visor on my well lit bench.

Here is my method. See if it works for you.

Bracelet install

Bracelet removal
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Lego
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Lego »

ArmyMedicDad wrote:
Kansas City Milkman wrote:It's nothing quite so exotic as being from Kansas
Just an FYI concerning Kansas City.

The major part of the city, including the NFL football team Kansas City Chiefs, the Major League baseball team Kansas City Royals, plus most of the art galleries, museums, attractions, international airport, concert venues, and population, is on the Missouri side of the state line and not on the Kansas side. I just thought you might have a connection with that Missouri side.
So, what's left in Kansas?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Winnie Bloo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Winnie Bloo »

Funny enough, I have the same problem after losing 70% eyesight in my right eye - yep and that's the one I use.

Never changed a strap until I joined this forum.

However, I did find using a Bergeon 6767-F spring bar removal tool, a set of Bergeon 2868 Screwdrivers and
finally a Bausch & Lomb loupe with a nice strong light, I can now manage, with a little patience.
I actually managed to change my first buckle yesterday :clap:

Unfortunately there are a couple of straps I cannot change, but our local watchmaker is great. Anyway, he
likes to see what my latest timepiece, or change is.
The Ultimate Postman has delivered his last package.

Dave :wave:
mattlad
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by mattlad »

I think a lot of it is a case of "having the knack" I appear to be able to remove a bracelet or strap without any problems, I can fit another strap easily but when it comes to fitting / refitting a bracelet I seem to be very hit or miss at the moment! I am getting better though, so it looks like a case of practice practice practice! ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Never judge a man until you have sailed a mile in his yacht.

You will be a mile away and have his boat!
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Lego wrote:So, what's left in Kansas?
Dorothy and Toto?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

and BBQ.
the "g" is for Greg...
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Kip wrote:
Fnew wrote:

I do a lot of changing straps and bracelets daily. The old eyes are not what they used to be so I do use a visor on my well lit bench.

Here is my method. See if it works for you.

Bracelet install

Bracelet removal
Thanks Kip - the approach I take is similar but I'll try the steps more closely next time.
Andy_ITR
Senior
Senior

Post by Andy_ITR »

I've recently purchased a cheap repair kit from eBay and already upgraded the pin tool to a sturdier item. I find laying the watch on a large clean cloth and taking my time works best for me. I'm fairly hands on with most things (cars mainly, DIY etc) and not afraid to have a go myself.
C7 Rapide Mk II
Omega Planet Ocean 2500
Tissot PRS 516 Chrono Auto
Seiko Monster
Orient Mako XL Blue
Casio Edifice Wave Ceptor
G-Shock 6900 (circa 1995)