CW Tide Material... Does it wear in?

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
Internaut
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

CW Tide Material... Does it wear in?

Post by Internaut »

So, I've now set and am wearing a new Sealander GMT that arrived just over an hour ago. It come with a Tide Material strap and bloody hell it was hard getting the watch onto my wrist for the first time. Does this material become a bit more supple over time?
Watches? Beat up Swatch Irony I bought in the 90s, C5 Malvern (the original), Swiss Military Swiss Soldier Quartz, Seagull 1963, Swatch Blurang, CW Sealander GMT, Motorola 360 (broke), Huawei Sports 2 (broke), Fitbit Charge 5. Festina 8810.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 3

Re: CW Tide Material... Does it wear in?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

It does to some extent, but I would never call it the most comfortable of straps. I much prefer the hybrid strap on my Sealander.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
Internaut
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

It helps to roll it between your fingers to bed it in and make it curved; to fit your wrist.

Once it has got the curve of your wrist, I have found the #tide strap really quite comfortable, especially on heftier watches where it gives good support.

Hope that helps.

Guy
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
Internaut
To see the World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour - William Blake

Sundial
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:30 pm It helps to roll it between your fingers to bed it in and make it curved; to fit your wrist.

Once it has got the curve of your wrist, I have found the #tide strap really quite comfortable, especially on heftier watches where it gives good support.

Hope that helps.

Guy
I agree with this, rolling both bits of it while off the watch definitely helps to make it fit better when back on the watch and wrist.

Couple of points I found with mine (on a Sealander Auto) is that some strands appear from or around the hole used and, while it was still a bit stiff, when taking it off the first few times it sprung off and fell out of my grip, but fortunately onto a soft surface.

I'd be happy to buy another.
These users thanked the author Mikkei4 for the post:
Internaut
Internaut
Junior
Junior

Post by Internaut »

Thanks everyone. It seems to be getting there after a few hour wear (and I implemented the advice to roll around a finger). One thing I am appreciating - it's possible to wear this strap fairly lose, compared to other straps I've used, and the sides of the strap stick to my skin, holding the watch firmly in place.
Watches? Beat up Swatch Irony I bought in the 90s, C5 Malvern (the original), Swiss Military Swiss Soldier Quartz, Seagull 1963, Swatch Blurang, CW Sealander GMT, Motorola 360 (broke), Huawei Sports 2 (broke), Fitbit Charge 5. Festina 8810.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 3

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

The thing that surprised me when I first wore it was how thick the strap was. I don’t know why, but I had been expecting something thin and fabric-like, somewhat akin to a NATO.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
Internaut
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ If you look at it carefully, side on, and study the weave you'll see that it is effectively double the thickness of a NATO.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
Internaut
To see the World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour - William Blake

Sundial
Internaut
Junior
Junior

Post by Internaut »

So, the Tide Material strap has grown on me. Somewhat. Nevertheless I have some quick release spring bars and have a Zulu Alpha NATO on order.
thomcat00
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by thomcat00 »

I swapped on a Tide strap for the CW canvas on a watch and found it took over a month of wearing and working to get it decently comfortable for me. Very pleased with the tide material now as it’s durable and fit to my wrist. It does take some acclimation time.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
Internaut
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair