Broken C60 bracelet links

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
OtakuUY
CW-watches: 1

Broken C60 bracelet links

Post by OtakuUY »

Long time reader, first time poster.
I just picked up a C60 on a bracelet and in my attempt to resize it, it looked like the links were splitting into thirds. Figuring that I was doing something wrong, I took it to my jeweler to have him resize the bracelet. His luck wasn't much better than mine, the pins in bracelet were bending instead of coming out. The two links that have been removed are kind of broken now, the center brushed section wobbles in relation to the brushed sections and the brushed sections are splaying off from the center.

What did we do wrong?
C60 Charcoal

Junkers Spitzbergen F13 Chrono, Ebel 1911 Classic, Movado Cushion Automatic
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: Broken C60 bracelet links

Post by Kip »

Welcome to "The Asylum"!

Sorry to hear of the difficulties. There are a few possibilities here.

This type of thing can happen if a push pin/punch that is to large is used to punch the holding pin through the tube/collar. In this case the tube pushes against the outer link section causing separation.

I have also seen a cases where the tubes used are just to tight and the result is the same even with a proper sized punch being used.

Assuming that your jeweler is experienced, the other possibility is that your bracelet is simply defective and that the permanent link pins were not constructed correctly.

I would contact Wera at CWL and discuss with her to see if there have been any problems recently.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
OtakuUY
CW-watches: 1

Post by OtakuUY »

Thanks for the advice, I'll write an email to Wera.
C60 Charcoal

Junkers Spitzbergen F13 Chrono, Ebel 1911 Classic, Movado Cushion Automatic
giuseppeb124

Post by giuseppeb124 »

i just experienced the same issue... no idea how to approach the problem now... there is part of the pin between the link.. and cant take it out...
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Turn the bracelet over and pound back together with a plastic/rubber mallet or hammer. Start over using smaller punch pins.

Although I am not a big fan of pin and collar set ups like this, they are very common on the market. Omega, for one, has been using this arrangement until the last couple of years. The most common issue is that the pin sizes used are to large to go through the tube. I have found that starting with a .80 pin until resistance is met and then switching to a .60 is satisfactory. You still must get the pin centeren or you will just be trying to punch out the tube, even with the smaller pin. It can be a bit of an acquired art.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.