A different way to wear a watch strap

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

This was a question in another thread asking why I wear my leather straps with the short part with the clasp at the bottom end of the watch. Maybe this helps others who have been wearing their straps the conventional way and could be more comfortable wearing straps the 'wrong' way.

Picture that caused confusion:

golfjunky wrote:I have my straps on opposite ends, is there a right or wrong?
Thegreyman wrote:^^^ for me the straps are the wrong way. Of course it's personal choice but they are unconventional being that way round I'd say. Having said that, the Seiko Presage deployant strap is that way too, probably part of the reason I replaced it with a CW strap with Bader.
It has to do with the size of my wrist (7.5") and perhaps the shape. If I wear straps the conventional, the buckle and strap overlap don't center on the bottom of my wrist.

When I wear them my way (for most the wrong way), the buckle and double part centers perfectly.

And when I wear them the regular way, the watch itself will move towards the outside of my wrist. Probably because the double part of the strap is the least flexible so that wants to center itself on the bottom of my wrist. Not comfortable and looks weird.

An easy way to check if the other way is more comfortable for you is to put the watch on your wrist upside down.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: A different way to wear a watch strap

Post by jkbarnes »

I've got my straps with the Bader deployment reversed like this because of my small wrists. Haven't tried it with a buckle strap, but I'm going to!
Drew
SSLAnglois
Senior
Senior

Post by SSLAnglois »

Interesting, I prefer when the buckle is not centered on my wrist since i work at a desk most of the day, it helps avoid desk diving marks. Although I don’t tend to have the issue of the watch riding up the top of my wrist so that makes it easier for me obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by srs1286 »

I do have the issue of the watch always twisting toward the outside of my wrist which is approx 7.25”. I reverse my bader’s but never thought to reverse my standard straps as well. A watch turning toward the outside of my wrist is one of my biggest annoyances and will actually cause me to dislike the watch in its entirety. Never considered the doubled over portion of the strap was the reason for it.

Now I just need to get used to the tail being on the inside.
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

srs1286 wrote:Never considered the doubled over portion of the strap was the reason for it.
That's my theory so don't take my word for it. :D

I guess it also depends on the size and shape of your wrist / wrist bones, the strap and the size of the watch. I had to get used to the tail end on the inside but now I don't even notice it anymore. I also find it easier to put the watch on my wrist with the strap the unconventional way.
copemanphoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by copemanphoto »

nordwulf wrote:
srs1286 wrote:Never considered the doubled over portion of the strap was the reason for it.
That's my theory so don't take my word it. :D

I guess it also depends on the size and shape of your wrist / wrist bones, the strap and the size of the watch. I had to get used to the tail end on the inside but now I don't even notice it anymore. I also find it easier to put the watch on my wrist with the strap the unconventional way.
I just tried your tip and right out of the box and there is an improvement on how the watch head centers on my wrist. The watch turning outwards would cause soreness on my wrist bone but this just might be the cure.

Thanks for the great tips.

Cheers, Mike.
Cheers, Mike.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

I do this with some straps; for me it depends on lots of things, but mostly it seems to be the length of the buckle side strap. The longer it is, the more likely it is that I’ll wear it in the conventional manner. Conversely, the shorter ones are more likely to be reversed as Nordwulf has shown, as the buckle sits in an awkward spot on my wrist.

I also suffer from the same problem of the watch slipping towards the outside of my wrist. The reversed strap can resolve it. It’s also the reason why with Bader (or similar) clasps, I either get an XL strap or use (for) Omega straps - they both have buckle side straps of 100mm+ which places the buckle closer to the six o’clock side of the watch - resolving the tendency for the watch head to “wander” outwards.

I do a similar thing with bracelets. I usually shorten the 6 o’clock size much more than the 12 o’clock side. In some cases, I’ll even add links to the 12 o’clock side to position the buckle exactly where I want it - all to achieve the same thing; to stop the watch head straying to the side....
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
nelnut

Post by nelnut »

Hmm i just reversed my straps now and it definitely does centers better on my wrist. I'll have to test it out for a few days to see if it's not just a placebo for me.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Strange - all my watches sit towards the outside of the wrist and are only centred when first put on.
For me the case resting by the wrist bone is the most comfortable location and it's when I least feel that I'm actually wearing a watch.
I've never had any soreness on the wrist bone wearing my watches that way.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

gaf1958 wrote:It’s also the reason why with Bader (or similar) clasps, I either get an XL strap or use (for) Omega straps - they both have buckle side straps of 100mm+ which places the buckle closer to the six o’clock side of the watch - resolving the tendency for the watch head to “wander” outwards.
This is an Oris clasp, but it’s the same kind of the A’s the Bader and Omega clasps. It’s fitted to a strap that’s 110/105mm (i.e. sized to Omega specifications) and positions the clasp perfectly on my 7.25” wrist - the watch sits where it should and the clasp is much more comfortable as the “hidden” portion of the clasp is centred nicely on my wrist.

Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

Mikkei4 wrote:Strange - all my watches sit towards the outside of the wrist and are only centred when first put on.
For me the case resting by the wrist bone is the most comfortable location and it's when I least feel that I'm actually wearing a watch.
I've never had any soreness on the wrist bone wearing my watches that way.
Enter curmudgeon mode...

I don’t get any soreness if the watch slips to the outer side of my wrist, it just annoys the hell out of me - I like them to remain where I put them - centred on my wrist.

Exit curmudgeon mode.... :lol:
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

gaf1958 wrote:I do a similar thing with bracelets. I usually shorten the 6 o’clock size much more than the 12 o’clock side. In some cases, I’ll even add links to the 12 o’clock side to position the buckle exactly where I want it - all to achieve the same thing; to stop the watch head straying to the side....
Same for me, the 12 o'clock side is longer than the 6 side to make the buckle center on the bottom of my wrist.

gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

This is a really quick and dirty drawing of a wrist cross section - based on the physiology of my wrist. The outer bone and supporting structures are larger than the inner ones, making my wrist slightly “lopsided”. Most wrists are, to greater or lesser extent.

The drawing shows where I like my watch head to sit and (importantly) it shows that to centre the clasp underneath my wrist, the outside (12 o’clock side) need to be longer than the inside to achieve that.

Oddly enough, this is not something that immediately obvious or intuitive to most people, including most jewellers, who by and large insist on centring the clasp in the middle of the bracelet, not in the middle of your inner wrist. It’s why I learned how to resize a bracelet about thirty years ago, as it frustrated the hell out of me.

Apologies for the rough sketch...

Edit: Attempt #2

Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
porkupine1
Senior
Senior

Post by porkupine1 »

I have just tried switching my CW bracelet to the 'wrong way' and it is great, I think I will get used to this and the watch is in the right place without me having to constantly move it down towards me! Thanks nordwulf.
ptfly
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by ptfly »

I thought reversing seemed awkward until I bought my Tudor BB on a strap. First thing I noticed was the strap was reversed. I actually checked another to make sure mine was intentional.
After a couple of days with the BB I found the strap tail positioning to the body side actually looked cleaner. I am not sure if true but I have read that long ago this was more common.
Thinking of trying it out on a few more leather straps.