suicidal_orange SOTC April 2022

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

suicidal_orange SOTC April 2022

Post by suicidal_orange »

I've been putting this off for a couple of months (since I filled the box) because I don't have a good camera but that's not going to change for another month while the collection might, so here it is. Story is in order of purchase:

Having finished uni and got a job and money I bought an Oakley Icon as my "one watch". It's tiny, it has a titanium case and integrated bracelet and it never needs a battery as it has a rotor - perfect. As you can see though it's not a proper one watch as it's very casual, it also doesn't have a sapphire crystal so it's scratched to hell and though the rotor still spins (as noisily as it ever did) the capacitor the quartz movement runs on is dead so it pretty much stops if you sit down. For the price of a new crystal and capacitor I could buy a CW so it's doomed to stay dead.
Oakley.jpg
Does it deserve a place in the box? Not really.

Just a few months after buying the Oakley I realised some of it's shortfalls and somehow stumbled upon CW and the forum during a Nearly New sale. I looked at the C15 but it sounded very big so I went for the all black CW C3IPK as a more dressy option to the Oakley, more suited to an office environment.

Temptation got the better of me though and before the C3 had even arrived I ordered the CW C15. The combination of the charcoal dial and rose gold case and bracelet still looks great but having left office life behind (for now at least) it rarely gets worn, though it has plenty of scratches from the old-days, also developed spinning rotor syndrome (if it didn't arrive with it and newbie me knew no better...)
CW C15.jpg
Do they deserve their places in my box? C3 yes, C15 probably not. But who would want it.

Years later what had become my first, and so far only, grail watch appeared in a sale - the CW C9 Moonphase. I bought both the blue and white versions as I couldn't decide which I preferred, the blue won and the white was quickly sold on. The huge shiny moon is lovely and the colour matched date wheel is perfect, the only minor problems are legibility when it's dark and the strap it came on being too long. I swapped it to a Hirsch with fitted ends which looks great from the top but isn't perfect viewed from the side. This is a surprisingly chunky piece so not ideal for daily wear, instead it has taken the rarely used dress-watch spot from the C15.
Blue moon.JPG
Does it deserve a place in the box? Yes, it's an irreplaceable grail. But as my most expensive and least worn (amongst watches I wear) watch I have often considered selling it.

Not long after the excitement of the Moonphase I spotted a CW C65 Classic LE on ebay and somehow found myself back on the forum and landed up buying it directly from a member here. I'd like to give some good reason for this purchase but as I remember it was because it has an orange second hand. This was my daily wear watch for a couple of years and its huge clear dial and slim case still make it one of my favourites. If only it had a matching blue date wheel...

Does it deserve a place in the box? If there was only one slot this would be in it.

Following a career change resulting in a big dent to my beloved C65 my interest in watches waned as my wrist was bare for a couple of years until I bought my first and only new watch, a high street special Citizen Eco Drive J810-8088097. I bought this one because while it ticks all the boxes for my beater (quartz, sapphire crystal, titanium case/bracelet) I didn't like it as much as the other options so wouldn't mind scratching the hell out of it. I have.
26-06-21.jpg
Does it deserve a place in the box? Not really - 5/7 days it's on my wrist getting abused so protecting it at night is a bit silly! It's not going anywhere though.

With my interest in watches reignited I decided to see why everyone seems to like dive watches. First came a Zelos Hammerhead v3 which has seriously impressive lume and a beautiful sunburst dial with matching date wheel, but I never bonded with it due to the tiny dial with huge bezel look.
21-07-24 night.jpg
Does it deserve a place in the box? Probably as it's very different to everything else, but it's going to be sold anyway.

Within weeks of the Zelos arriving I picked up another microbrand diver, the Phoibos Wave Master. It has a bigger dial than the Zelos and I love the combination of wavy green sunburst dial, orange highlights and blue hands and markers that glow pretty much the same colour as they look in daylight. The dial could still be bigger and much like the C15, C65 and Zelos the date wheel is an eyesore. One thing this watch has that sets it apart is a non-tapered 22mm bracelet which is heavy but not a comfort issue. The bezel is a bit plain and has more play and less resistance than I'd like it to have too.
Phoibos.jpg
Does it deserve a place in the box? No, but for now I'm keeping it with a loose plan to replace the date wheel and maybe re-case it with a fixed bezel - it's a Seiko movement so mod options are out there.

Having decided divers aren't for me I came across a watch I recognised as a cover model from the past, a CW C600 Tri Tech Elite. It has a bigger dial and thinner bezel so on paper is more to my taste and this remained true once it was on my wrist. The CW rubber strap is too long so was replaced by a Hirsch Pure which is a bit dressy but looks OK. Looks better and it's rated deeper - diver spot filled.
20220308.jpg
Does it deserve a place in the box? Absolutely. Will be sad when the tritium dies though.

Diver done, what else is out there in watch land... Still monitoring ebay I came across another classic in the form of a CW C1000 Cockpit and what a watch it is. Having replaced the green NATO it came on with a light grey canvas strap and a Marine Nationale which also wasn't quite right I picked up a cheap perlon to make the perfect summer watch.
15-04-22.jpg
Does it deserve a place in the box? Yes.

And a box shot in nearly the right order:
SOTC April 2022.jpg
These users thanked the author suicidal_orange for the post (total 3):
jkbarnesStrapMeisterJasperCat
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: suicidal_orange SOTC April 2022

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Thanks for your write up, there are some lovely tales told about each watch, especially your Citizen beater "I didn't like it as much as the other options so wouldn't mind scratching the hell out of it. I have. ". :lol: :lol:

As to your CWs you have a couple of rarely seen classics in the Rose Gold C15 and Black C3; you ought to enjoy them more. :wink: :wink:

Guy
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
suicidal_orange
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

I agree - the C15 is my favourite of the bunch. I’ve seen one in real life and it’s a really striking watch. Might be due for resurrection :D
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
suicidal_orange
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Excellent write up of a very interesting and varied collection. I do love reading the stories behind how people choose and acquire their watches.

Thanks for sharing.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
suicidal_orange
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I like this; an interesting and eclectic collection that appears to have avoided repetition, something I have also been aiming for recently. I had forgotten just how lovely the blue moon phase is. You should wear it more often. :thumbup:
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
suicidal_orange
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

suicidal_orange wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:30 pm I bought this one because while it ticks all the boxes for my beater (quartz, sapphire crystal, titanium case/bracelet) I didn't like it as much as the other options so wouldn't mind scratching the hell out of it
Possibly the greatest watch buying logic I've ever read! Lovely collection
These users thanked the author sproughton for the post:
suicidal_orange
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

I love the narrative! You tell a good story of your watch journey. Thanks for sharing. (And I like that C15.)
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
suicidal_orange
Drew
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

sproughton wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:28 pm
suicidal_orange wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:30 pmI bought this one because while it ticks all the boxes for my beater (quartz, sapphire crystal, titanium case/bracelet) I didn't like it as much as the other options so wouldn't mind scratching the hell out of it
Possibly the greatest watch buying logic I've ever read!
The logic is perfect all bar the part where I could have picked up a similar model used on ebay for less than half the cost, but unlike every other watch where I just bought and hoped it fitted I felt a need to try my beater on...
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:22 amI like this; an interesting and eclectic collection that appears to have avoided repetition
It's a blessing and a curse - the only other distinct style I can think of to add would be something minimalist like a Nomos and if you hadn't guessed that's not my thing. I will keep looking but once the Zelos goes there's going to be a space in the box that I don't know how to fill.

Lots of love for the C15, maybe I should have a full shave and cut six inches off my hair so I can casually wear it without feeling odd :lol:
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

Interesting collection but it's The Journey that is the real story here and the way that story has been told. Awesome.
I'm a bit late-on looking and commenting but so glad I did.
These users thanked the author Noush for the post:
suicidal_orange
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.