Updated! Stefs...The exit 2 watch collection

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Updated! Stefs...The exit 2 watch collection

Post by stefs »

So, being up front, technically I still have three watches as I have not yet sold my carbon doxa but assuming it does go...
You probably wont have noticed but I have not been as active on the forum lately apart from sales posts to basically clear the decks. I have also not been going on other forums or the watch sites we all know. I have finally run out of steam and enthusiasm.
A while ago I thought a good plan would be to get an explorer and just have that and a smartwatch so have put my name down and gone through two sits down chats (interviews) with AD's.
I knew it could be quite a wait, maybe a year or more so when I was offered a BB54 upon release I thought that would see me through nicely until the rolex turned up. However when I went to collect it somehow it didn't really do it for me. Loved the case and the size but I think the bezel seemed a little too meh.
While there I was shown the new Pelagos 39 and that was a different manner. Loved it and ticked every single box for me...
Perfect size for me
Very light and comfortable due to being titanium
The fantastic Tfit clasp for on the fly adjustment.
Very legible and torch like lume.
I liked it so much that I decided it may well sit alongside the explorer and keep 2 instead of just a one watch collection.
Here it is.
20230428_170754.jpg
20230428_170817.jpg
20230428_173609.jpg
20230516_202057.jpg
Last weekend during the second of my meetings with an Independant Ad so see if I was someone they wanted to 'have a relationship with' I tried on the new 40mm explorer but it just didn't blow me away. The sales girl was very nice and very open about how allocation works and said where you were in the queue was pretty much irrelevant. You would need to be an existing customer and also not someone who would walk out and go straight to watchfinder to cash in. You had to be the right stuff to be considered!

After thinking about it further I decided the explorer and rolex ownership in general now is probably no longer for me.
The two other watches I had previously considered for the role of a one watch were the IWC mk xx which gave me the big benefit over my lovely MK XVI that Lindsey now has of the micro adjustable bracelet. It also adds much better WR and 120 power reserve from the new in house movement.
The other was the newer smaller tudor Ranger. Again this version was much improved for my tastes with the downsize, T Fit and upgraded in house movement. Also really good value and by far the cheaper alternative!

I decided to poodle over to the IWC dealer last night primarily to look at the black but came back with this. Just lovely and again ticks the boxes.
I believe it is different from the previous white dial versions as it has some silver to it although in most lights it is white.
Here are a couple of snaps
20230605_195533.jpg
20230605_195727.jpg
20230606_072850.jpg
20230606_083524.jpg
20230606_083541.jpg
20230606_083703.jpg
Anyway if you managed to stick with it through my ramblings well done and if you didn't I don't blame you.
I might still look in once in a while to see how you all are but if I am honest I feel quite pleased to be coming out of the other side of a hobby that has come far too close to being an obsession at times and glad that I have lost interest to a large extent. I think I have ended up with 2 decent watches that will be all I need and I know I will continue to give plenty of wrist time to my smartwatches as well
cheers now :thumbup:
These users thanked the author stefs for the post (total 5):
Bahnstormer_vRSPeteoGreatpotfarmjkbarnesStif
Cheers now, Paul
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: Stefs...The exit 2 watch collection

Post by iain »

Excellent Paul, pleased for you that you’ve found contentment and that IWC looks like it will complement the Tudor perfectly.

I tried on the black mark xx but it was on the strap and the bracelet wasn’t available at the time. I assume it’s basically the same as the bracelet for the mark xviii?
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Fantastic Paul! When that mk xx scrolled up on the screen my jaw hit the deck. It’s beautiful. :cuinlove:
That and the Pelagos make a very classy, balanced pair.
I don’t know how much you could enjoy a watch that requires you to have an interview to establish whether you’re worth having a relationship with... If the AD situation was a bit closer to normal the Explorer might have been the one, but you’ve demonstrated that there plenty other incredible watches out there to enjoy :thumbup:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
stefs
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

stefs wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:00 am I think I have ended up with 2 decent watches
Now there's an understatement :) 2 fantastic watches, worthy of a journey of discovery for sure.

Enjoy in the finest of good health. Don't be scarce my friend.
These users thanked the author Noush for the post:
stefs
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

iain wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:17 am Excellent Paul, pleased for you that you’ve found contentment and that IWC looks like it will complement the Tudor perfectly.

I tried on the black mark xx but it was on the strap and the bracelet wasn’t available at the time. I assume it’s basically the same as the bracelet for the mark xviii?
Thanks Iain. I believe it it a little thinner but otherwise the same. Not sure if they would be interchangeable due to the slightly different lug profile
Cheers now, Paul
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Well, where'er you go and whatever you do I wish you well.

I also look forward to seeing how your step back from watch collecting/obsessing works out.

I love this:

The sales girl was very nice and very open about how allocation works and said where you were in the queue was pretty much irrelevant. You would need to be an existing customer and also not someone who would walk out and go straight to watchfinder to cash in. You had to be the right stuff to be considered!

That's like "buyers are liars... but only some of them and I've got such a grand ego that I can tell one type from the other". My days! :silent:
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
stefs
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

A lovely pair to alight from the carousel with. Two very attractive watches. :thumbup:

I did think from comments the other day that you were cooling on waiting for an Explorer. As to the “AD games” it only becomes annoying if you let it get to you. For someone who has bought as many new Rolex from ADs as you have, I think you would have ended up getting one, albeit not yesterday. The “interview process” seems fun! :shock:

Is it the same AD that offered you the BB54 before they started to appear in more ADs?

I think that the new white/silver MKXX is the one that I would go for, followed by the green. The black or blue would have too much competition in the watch box to get a regular outing.

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post:
stefs
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

2 really nice watches you've chosen there.

The IWC is lovely.
These users thanked the author Mikkei4 for the post:
stefs
downer
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by downer »

Nice work, Paul. What’s next? :lol:
Richard
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

What a great post, and I agree with others that you have settled on a very solid duo that should keep that contentment going a long while I'd imagine. Hope you'll still stop by to add to your 5,751 post count every now and again. Enjoy those watches and whatever else you plan to do next while wearing them!
These users thanked the author Peteo for the post:
stefs
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x TSAO Baltimore, 1x Bremont. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Two very good ones there, Paul. Enjoy them and please do drop in on the Forum. :thumbup:
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
stefs
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

nbg wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:09 pm A lovely pair to alight from the carousel with. Two very attractive watches. :thumbup:

I did think from comments the other day that you were cooling on waiting for an Explorer. As to the “AD games” it only becomes annoying if you let it get to you. For someone who has bought as many new Rolex from ADs as you have, I think you would have ended up getting one, albeit not yesterday. The “interview process” seems fun! :shock:

Is it the same AD that offered you the BB54 before they started to appear in more ADs?

I think that the new white/silver MKXX is the one that I would go for, followed by the green. The black or blue would have too much competition in the watch box to get a regular outing.

Neil
Neil. I had already had 'the chat' in that dealer. I would stress again it was by no means the spanish inquisition! Both were perfectly pleasant. I am sure that if I had been set 100% on the explorer I would have just settled in for the wait as I have done previously. Although in the past you went into store, gave your details and waited where as now there has to be a consultation :? .
I was going to call both to take me off the list but thought it would be interesting to see if and when I get the phone call. My gut feeling is within 3 months from WOS and never from the independant.
Cheers now, Paul
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Thegreyman »

Two great watches there Paul in the Pelagos 39 and Mark XX. I haven't yet had a chance to try that Pelagos model but it certainly looks a great size and I do love a Tudor. I have tried a Mark XVIII but was put off slightly by the long lugs, which I think IWC have addressed now.

It's a pity you have had that experience trying to get an Explorer, I am maybe just lucky up here and perhaps there are less potential Rolex customers between the two local AD's, I certainly didn't need to go through any interview type process...just chatted to them and said interested in said watch.

I hope you aren't checking out of the forum completely and we still see you on here from time to time.
These users thanked the author Thegreyman for the post:
stefs
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C60 Atoll White Shark, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

A very nice pair, so to speak.

Your forum withdrawal however presents a problem, where are we all supposed to purchase our watches from without you?

Best wishes for a healthy and wealthy retirement.
Tim
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by ajax87 »

Can't get much better than those two! I would love them as my only watches. I'm sure you'll get plenty of enjoyment from them.
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post:
stefs
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925