Updated! Stefs...The exit 2 watch collection

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Re: Stefs...The exit 2 watch collection

Post by welshlad »

Congrats, Paul. That's a lovely final pair of watches to settle on. I really do like the white IWC MkXX, it looks very classy.

Do keep popping in to the forum from time to time. It wouldn't be the same without you. :thumbup:
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

timor54 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:36 pm A very nice pair, so to speak.

Your forum withdrawal however presents a problem, where are we all supposed to purchase our watches from without you?

Best wishes for a healthy and wealthy retirement.
Cheeky so and so :lol:
Cheers now, Paul
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

welshlad wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:21 am Congrats, Paul. That's a lovely final pair of watches to settle on. I really do like the white IWC MkXX, it looks very classy.

Do keep popping in to the forum from time to time. It wouldn't be the same without you. :thumbup:
Thanks Steve.
I will pop in to keep in touch. I have met some really great folk over the years on here and some such as yourself and a few others I have been able to enjoy meeting in person.
These users thanked the author stefs for the post:
welshlad
Cheers now, Paul
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Stefs...The exit 2 watch collection

Post by gaf1958 »

Congratulations Paul on achieving a balance. I’ve also been fairly idle on this and all watch related forums in the last 6-12 months and have consolidated my collection down quite a bit (140ish down to 60ish). I’ve lost the head of steam needed for selling more, as I’m having trouble deciding what goes next, but I’m mostly just wearing my Omegas so I guess that is the pointer right there.

Added to that, I haven’t bought a watch in maybe 12 months; previously a month was a while. I’m just not seeing watches that I want to buy; there are a few reasons: either I’ve already owned them; they simply don’t pique my interest; or I like them, but no longer have the means (or desire) to pay the asking price - after all, I retired ten years ago… The cheaper watches that I do like, are often very similar to something I already own, that is nicer in most every way… so why buy them.

Will I get down to two? I doubt it, but I’d certainly like to get down to under thirty, but it probably means selling off most of my CWs and the brands where I only have one or two examples. I’m guessing the Cartier and one or both of my Panerais are safe, but it looks like being 90% Omega and even then I need to sell some of those as well.

I’d love to have the determination to get that low, but I still absolutely love the watches I own; it’s just that the desire to continually replace them with others has dwindled.

Unfortunately two is never going to happen for me, but I’m really pleased that you’ve managed to get to a happy compromise my friend. Good on you!

P.S. It’s a superb pair you’ve kept as well!
These users thanked the author gaf1958 for the post:
stefs
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Hi Paul, we've never met in person but I have enjoyed your posts, input and watch journey tremendously. Glad to hear you may pop in from time to time.
I can't add much to the previous comments about the watches themselves, just to echo what a classy and we'll balanced pair of lovely watches.
Keep well and enjoy.
These users thanked the author Soporsche for the post:
stefs
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Well?

I must say Paul that you've been on a fair old Rollercoaster of a ride with your watch collecting, acquisitions and sales, I've been party to a few of those with you :wink: , over the years but you have certainly landed on your feet with the Pelagos and MkXX (white dial was the correct choice).

That you've given up on an Explorer I fully understand, as I wouldn't be doing with all the faff to get one (or any Rolex for that matter) either.

Best wishes for all that you do in the future and maybe, just maybe, we'll see you back one day.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

That’s about as good as a two-watch collection can get. Congratulations on achieving horological nirvana! You’ll be missed around here.
Drew
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

So, a bit of an update….
Long story short! My IWC ran a bit fast out of the box. Not a huge amount and not really enough to be an issue at about 7 seconds a day. However it got progressively worse (13 seconds) and after a couple of trips and numerous calls to the AD and with iwc the AD offered me a full refund which I accepted.

I hadn’t (and still haven’t) cancelled my order for the explorer which I have pretty much ruled out and besides that I haven’t heard from either AD anyway.

After a few weeks considering my options for a partner for the pelagos 39 and with long term one watch potential I have made a decision and a purchase.

I present my zenith chronomaster original. This is a faithful reissue of the classic A386 from 1969. I bought it on the bracelet but have now fitted a lovely navy leather racing strap that I think is in keeping.

38mm and very thin for a chronograph with a gorgeous heavily domed sapphire crystal it is lovely on the wrist. One concession from the 1969 version is the use of the latest El Primero movement and a change of outer scale to reflect the 1/10th of a second measurement.

Anyway here is a couple of photos
IMG_1563.jpeg
IMG_1566.jpeg
IMG_1569.jpeg
IMG_1572.jpeg
IMG_1573.jpeg
IMG_1574.jpeg
IMG_1582.jpeg
IMG_1612.jpeg
IMG_1611.jpeg
IMG_1619.jpeg
IMG_1621.jpeg
These users thanked the author stefs for the post (total 3):
welshladStrapMeisterStif
Cheers now, Paul
gannet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Updated! Stefs...The exit 2 watch collection

Post by gannet »

That's a great looking watch and that navy strap is a perfect fit for it.
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

Excellent watch and one of the few I’d prefer over the IWC. Congratulations, an El Primero is always a good choice.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Sorry to hear about your IWC, Paul, but congratulations on your new Zenith. That's not a million miles different to my old one, although yours is more faithful to the 1969 original. It looks great on you and is a great complement to the Pelagos. Fingers crossed that you don't have any trouble with this one. Enjoy!
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

A lovely, classy chronograph. Congratulations, Paul.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

That’s a beautiful watch. Congratulations!
Drew
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Thegreyman »

Fantastic looking watch and great dimensions for a chrono, where so often they are 41mm x 15mm minimum! Congrats Paul.

Re the Explorer you never know, I got mine quite quickly and actually just got offered a second one from the other local AD. Turned it down of course, my bad for forgetting to tell them I'd already picked one up from the their rival. This was the 40mm, perhaps the 36mm harder to get hold of.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C60 Atoll White Shark, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

Thanks for the kind responses folks. Very pleased and the proportions are a big part of that. Timekeeping certainly better than my IWC at 4 secs/day which is fine by me :thumbup: I did consider a number of other chronos and the unlucky runner up was the pistachio green breitling premier b09 which was 2mm wider and 1mm thicker as a hand wound. I do like zenith as a brand pretty much right across the range.
Cheers now, Paul