SOTC Iain March 2024

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

SOTC Iain March 2024

Post by iain »

It’s been a year since I last updated my collection on here, so I thought a new post was in order.

Heres a link to last years SOTC post

Once again in order of acquisition, here is my current collection.

First up is the only IWC still in my collection. IWC are my favourite brand and I’ve made that well known on here over the years. This Mark XVIII has been written about quite a few times and the links with my daughter mean is a permanent member of my collection.

IMG_1745.jpeg

Next is the El Primero. Another one that’s staying forever as it was funded with money my mum left me.

IMG_1746.jpeg

Next is my Bremont ALT1-ZT. I have a soft spot for Bremont and behind CW they are my most owned brand. This one is number 7. I had the 51 version of this watch previously and preferred that over this when I bought it. However over time I’ve come to appreciate the subdials on this being a little less obtrusive to its legibility. I like how I can read the time on this without losing the hands to the different colours of the dials in the background. This was traded with an S300 that developed a fault and I was offered it at a good trade in price.

IMG_1747.jpeg

The Damasko was bought with travel in mind. I had a white faced Damasko previously but it went as part of a large consolidation for an IWC Aquatimer. It’s probably the one watch I’ve regretted selling. So why did I buy this as a travel watch? I’ve tried going down the bright summer watch route and sold them all quite quickly. What I like about this is it’s no nonsense approach. Its legibility is perfect and I can tell the time in a hotel room in any light. The toughened steel means it can take a knock and not show and there are zero polished surfaces so its not in anyway likely to stand out as a flashy watch. The day/date is a bonus which isn’t really needed, except in week two of my holiday when I’ve forgotten what day it is. The timing bezel is always useful and the fact I bought the version with the hour markers instead of minutes means I can use it as a simple GMT to track a different time zone if needed.

IMG_1750.jpeg

Next is the FLE, not much to say about this. CW are a brand I’ve moved away from and none have really stuck around for long periods of time, I can’t answer why but this one with the links to the forum means it’s likely to stick around, despite not being worn that often.

IMG_1751.jpeg

This is my Planet Ocean that I bought to replace my Rolex Explorer. It’s the titanium version which means despite being quite chunky and having no micro adjustment in the bracelet, it’s really comfortable to wear. I wear it quite loose so it doesn’t get tight when it gets hot but the lack of weight means I don’t notice it moving around in normal wear. I’ve become quite attached to this one and it’s likely to be a round for a while.

IMG_1748.jpeg

Finally my Seamaster. I had a blue version and sold it as certain design elements bugged me. One big one being the hands which were polished with minimal lume. This made them go invisible in low light and these blued ones solve that. I hadn’t really intended to buy this but a chat with a friend who was selling it led me do a deal with him over it. When I bought my blue version I said I had seen a friends Seamaster and appreciated the quality so much I bought my own. It was this exact watch I had seen on my friends wrist. I’m still not convinced by the bracelet so my swap it for the rubber at some point.

IMG_1749.jpeg

So what’s next? My short term plan is to stick for a while now, although I have said that before.

In the long term I’m seriously considering the latest IWC Ingenieur as the last piece of a 3 watch collection with my EP and Mark XVIII. With maybe a couple of spares thrown in just in case……
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 6):
Murphy20rkovarsjtcwelshladMistaFroggyGBahnstormer_vRS
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Murphy20
Senior
Senior

Re: SOTC Iain March 2024

Post by Murphy20 »

Fantastic collection Iain, and thank you for sharing. Great to hear a little of the story behind each of the watches also.
These users thanked the author Murphy20 for the post:
iain
Selfhood begins with a walking away, and love is proved in the letting go.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Classy collection indeed Iain. The IWC and PO are my picks with the omega not far behind.
As for the ingenieur… no problems justifying it is worth the high price? Massive premium v the mk xx with the same iwc movement. Nice watch but far from cheap!
These users thanked the author stefs for the post:
iain
Cheers now, Paul
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

That’s a fine collection, @iain and it has been good to watch the comings and goings.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
iain
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

stefs wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 pm As for the ingenieur… no problems justifying it is worth the high price? Massive premium v the mk xx with the same iwc movement. Nice watch but far from cheap!
Therein lies the problem, the Ingenieur is rather expensive. It won’t be an immediate decision so I’ve time to wait and see how the used market fares with them over the next year or so. That could well shape my thinking.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

iain wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:48 pm
stefs wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 pm As for the ingenieur… no problems justifying it is worth the high price? Massive premium v the mk xx with the same iwc movement. Nice watch but far from cheap!
Therein lies the problem, the Ingenieur is rather expensive. It won’t be an immediate decision so I’ve time to wait and see how the used market fares with them over the next year or so. That could well shape my thinking.
That was my thought. Let the integrated craze die down and you might be able to pick up a bargain.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
iain
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by nathanclarinet »

Great set of watches there Iain.

Sent from my REA-NX9 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author nathanclarinet for the post:
iain
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Really nice! You choose striking watches that always look good and bold on the wrist. I didn't realise you have a Damasko in the box, and it's a great great watch. Gah, you've got me thinking about a white mkxviii again :lol: :thumbup:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
iain
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

missF wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:12 am I didn't realise you have a Damasko in the box, and it's a great great watch.

The Damasko was something I had been thinking about for a while. Last year I went on my big holiday to the far east. I had planned to take my small Bremont but it developed a fault a few weeks before so I took my IWC on a strap as I felt it was my least conspicuous watch.

It was until I was walking round a market in Kuala Lumpur. I was walking past one of those knock off watch stalls and the stall holder loudly declared to me “Ah Mr IWC, come look in the back at my watches” he obviously knows his watches as there was no way he could see the logo. Luckily no one around noticed what he said but if he’d have called me Mr Rolex it might have been different.

So that got me wanting a dedicated watch for travel, but one I would happily wear for other duties as well. I didn’t want a cheap beater that would live unworn for 50 weeks a year and I think the Damasko fits the bill perfectly. I tried an orange Doxa and a Trident GMT but settled eventually on this less shiny watch.

If I ever reach my goal of downsizing to a three watch collection. This could happily remain as watch number four…..
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 2):
welshladmissF
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

That's a top notch collection Ian. Congratulations.
These users thanked the author watchaholic for the post:
iain
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight