missF - March 2024

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

missF - March 2024

Post by missF »

This is my ten-year-a-watchie collection :D

IMG_4451.jpeg

After a long time being a one-watchie, and a few years of flipping, one watch arrived that settled everything, and everything has fallen into place around this one watch. From the very early days I've been looking for a white dial bracelet watch, and since I first bought a Seiko SARB 035 on the recommendation of @footycrazy i've owned more than 15 white dial watches in my search. The one that brought my search to an end with a certainty I've rarely felt with any watch is my ten year old Omega AT. It feels like it was built for me, I love the feel of it on my wrist, the co-axial movement just excites me in its backstory, and most importantly I never get tired of checking the time because of the play of light and texture across the dial. It's across the board a beautifully built watch. I enjoy experiencing the quality in its simplicity. It's my daily driver, why-would-I-need-another watch. One-watch.
IMG_3761.jpeg

So having searched for my one-watch for ten years, and found it, I equally came to the conclusion that it's quite possible to have a one-watch AND keep my options open for a change of mind, change of pace :lol:
I have no problem with this set up. YMMV :lol:

Once I found my one watch it was actually easy to really downsize. After all, I genuinely want to wear my AT almost all the time. And what I found is a really nice symmetry to what's left in the box -
Two field watches;
Two B+W CWs from ten years apart;
Two others.

OK, so the field watches aren't particularly traditional looking, but I feel that non-traditional-field could be a very useful watch category for me. The Sandstorm is really a one watch in its own right. Again fits beautifully, i absolutely love the light-catcher case. And a textured, muted and interesting dial. And I've talked a enough about the Schofield. I'd take these watches anywhere too.

IMG_4119.jpeg
IMG_4314.jpeg

The B+W CWs are just a brilliant pair of watches, great great designs, striking and unique. One was the first CW I bought ten years ago that brought me to the forum, and the other neatly wrapped up ten years of being here. I've loved all of my participation in the forum, and learned an awful lot.
IMG_4456.jpeg

The final two don't quite find an easy slot, but they're my watches for when I just want something different. Easy-to-wear-nostalgia might be the best description .
Back to the 1970s when brown and gold were in, and digital was just starting to change the world.

IMG_4466.jpeg

I'm pretty chuffed with the way it's all gone really :thumbup:
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 15):
welshladtikkathree5oclockheroMurphy20Bahnstormer_vRSjbm90Gar787CpocockChris375rkovars and 5 more users
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Re: missF - March 2024

Post by missF »

There isn't a single dive watch in my collection :problem:
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

missF wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:06 am There isn't a single dive watch in my collection :problem:
Well I guess that tells us that you are neither a diver nor a "thrusting young blade about the office" wanting to convey the look of an all-action hero? :lol:

I would, with the utmost respect and admiration, suggest that the dial script on at least two of your watches, nay at least one of them conforms to the general perception of being capable of withstanding a summer rain shower, a careless splashing under a running tap or even full immersion in lake, river or sea: why else would the AT have such widespread appreciation as a GADA? My gentle contention is that the AT / any GADA watch carries a "soft diver" persona.

I've said it once already this month but what gives me the biggest buzz about watch collecting is recognising the differences between one person's collection and another so thank you for sharing.

Do you consider your journey complete? Have you simply reached a significant milestone and if so, where next?
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post (total 2):
missFMistaFroggyG
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Nice to see you have landed in such a good place with your collection. The AT is such a good watch it is perfect to be the centrepiece that the others rotate around.
What you buying next then? A nice chronograph maybe?
These users thanked the author stefs for the post:
missF
Cheers now, Paul
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

Excellent collection Lindsey and thanks for sharing the journey with us.

I think I’ve also subscribed to your “main collection plus extras you can swap” idea. My one watch search I don’t think will ever reach the end so congratulations on getting there yourself.
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 2):
missFMistaFroggyG
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

tikkathree wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:36 am Do you consider your journey complete? Have you simply reached a significant milestone and if so, where next?
I'm not sure if the journey's quite complete. There are little niggles like vintage seiko, and what to do about the incredible new CW Moonglow :lol: But I feel like I look at watches now and they have to compete with what's in the box in terms of how much I would want to wear them. The bar's now set high because I wouldn't really want to replace any that I currently own... (what an amazing place to be :D )
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
tikkathree
Murphy20
Expert
Expert

Post by Murphy20 »

Thank you for sharing, I really enjoyed reading about the evolution of your collection this morning. I do love the AT, I’ve ordered a pre-owned one myself in the last few days, waiting for it to be delivered this week. I may have to add my own SOTC post too when that arrives.

Thanks again for sharing and enjoy your wonderful collection.
Selfhood begins with a walking away, and love is proved in the letting go.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

stefs wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:43 am What you buying next then? A nice chronograph maybe?
I've looked at chronographs down the years, but they've just never appealed. Don't even feel too much of an itch to try one out. Dive watches on the other hand, I keep trying them out and keep selling them :lol:
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Murphy20 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:00 am Thank you for sharing, I really enjoyed reading about the evolution of your collection this morning. I do love the AT, I’ve ordered a pre-owned one myself in the last few days, waiting for it to be delivered this week. I may have to add my own SOTC post too when that arrives.

Thanks again for sharing and enjoy your wonderful collection.
I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with your AT. Pics please when it arrives? I feel like my Schofield is my Watch-of-Joy and my AT is my Watch-of-Pure-Satisfaction :thumbup:
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 2):
Bahnstormer_vRSChris375
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

A lovely write-up, as always, Lindsey, and it's great to hear that you have found some form of Nirvana in your collection.

Nevertheless, I'm sure this is your ten years staging post, and you will be setting yourself up for the next ten years.

I have one question.

Where is Neo in all this, as Tapatalk seems to think he has a place? :-k :-k

Guy

Sent from my Galaxy S23 Ultra using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

@Bahnstormer_vRS
Guy, I don't know how this all works between forum and tapatalk....
The pic of Neo appeared randomly when I first posted the thread. I got rid of the pic, and the link after a few tries.
He's obviously keen to hang on and be famous on Tapatalk. You know how greyhounds are :lol: :D
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ Probably something to do with the Cache within Tapatalk. :-k :-k

I've had it happen before.

Famous Greyhound? Really? I'd never have guessed.

Guy

Sent from my Galaxy S23 Ultra using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Thegreyman »

Lovely collection Lindsey, the AT is the perfect "one" watch to cap it all :clap:

I also very much like the C11 MSL, who needs a Panerai?!

You really do love a concentric circle! (just don't get tempted by what is in sales corner atm :wink: )
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C60 Atoll White Shark, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I always enjoy your SOTC threads, following your journey over the years. :thumbup:

I notice a few changes from your previous SOTC. :)

The one headed - “missF - June 2023 - I’m done!” :lol: :)

It is good to see that you have settled on the AT as the key watch, with a varied bunch of others, that mark your journey, and provide great alternatives when you fancy a change from the AT. :clap: :thumbup:

I really think we need to discuss dive watches and chronographs! :)

Are you seriously telling me that you are one of those rare watch collectors, capable of remembering simple timing requirements without the need for a twisty bezel or chronograph? :wink:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

@Thegreyman
You're right about concentric circles Patrick :lol: I've been aware of that since I got the Sandstorm I think. Just one lottery win and I could add to the concentric circle part of my collection :D