Mabeco SOTC NOV 23

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
Mabeco
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Mabeco SOTC NOV 23

Post by Mabeco »

Hello,
This is my first SOTC email, as an introduction, a general wish was to have a mechanical watch, which I achieved in 2013 (didn't have a watch before that - since 96).
Relogios - Box 01.jpeg
From left to right:
1. Universal Genève, my grail is a tricompax (probably will not go there, to have a complex, hard to fix watch) so it started with wanting a UG, to be close to my grail but, right now, is a watch on its own. I feel great when I use it and has the vintage proportions
2. Junghans, my first mec. watch, it was actually a vendor in Paris who pointed it out to me (was looking for a nomos) and I fell in love - specially the moonphase - it is just sexy.
3. GS, after dipping into the Seiko rabit hole discovered Grande seiko, and spring drive - it is the watch I use most.
4. CW Moonglow - it is an amazing watch with big, detailed moon - my second Moonphase and a watch that just makes you smile.
5. Certina - my father's watcht, very battered but I love it, my heritage, classical, used, gives me good feelings.
Relogios - Box 02.jpeg
From left to right, upper row:
1. Seiko LM, one of my latest purchases, just love the case, all faceted.
2. King Seiko, battling it out with Grand Seiko, the 56KS it has a lovely design, intemporal.
3. Grand Seiko; 61GS, the case is amazing, it is has small as the KS but the design just makes it more modern, also a 36000bph, the ticking is lovely
4. Seiko 5, my father's watch from the 90s, also battered, don't use it a lot but love it.
5. Seiko 7016, bought it on ebay very battered, a fly back, 24h chrono
6. Bulova accutron, not very practical but just fun, sci-fi watch
From left to right, lower row:
7. 6139-6010 gold plated, love this case, as it was replated it lost the edges but still... it's cool!
8. 6139-6012, just look at it!
9. Report Chrono, cal.7733, bought it in a small shop in my parents town, NOS, another stunner, lots of compliments
10. 6138-0020 tokey zara, bough it in Japan in a flea market, it's big and you'll love to have it on your wrist. it just works
11. Seiko Baby tuna SRP655, my biggest watch, one which receives a lot of compliments, started from discovering the 'unreachable' at the time Emperor tuna, always take it to the beach with me
12. Mr. Jones a useless afternoon, it just makes sense to me, the whole passing time on the water, dolce fare niente...
Relogios - Divers.png
From left to right:
1. Vostok scuba dude (moded bezel), the history of how this watch came about and the bang for buck it made me take the plunge
2. San Martin vintage diver, Fan of James Bond, it is the closest I'll ever get to a 6538 - it stands on its own, a practical, cool watch
3. Vostok anphibia SE, an out of the ordinary dial, a fun summer watch
(the baby tuna is just one, just it was also in the bath)
Relogios - Box 03.jpeg
1. Swatch system 51, Hodinkee, looked like the fun summer watch you want to use, a bit too big though
2. COURG, a microbrand which produced a mix betwen a diver and a flieger's watch
3. Seizen Dirty dozen, as I'll prob. never own a real one, it grows on you, it's a tool watch, just grab and go (finicky movmt though)

Hope you've enjoyed my collection, feel free to comment!

Thanks in advance
These users thanked the author Mabeco for the post (total 2):
rkovarsStrapMeister
Christopher Ward C1 Moonglow, Junghans, Seiko, Vostok, Swatch, Reporter, Certina...
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Mabeco SOTC NOV 23

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Congratulations on a great eclectic collection and welcome to the Forum.

Great to see a Redux COURG; was it worth the wait? I'm waiting on an HONNR.

Guy

Sent from my Galaxy S23 Ultra using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Mabeco
Senior
Senior

Post by Mabeco »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:10 pm Congratulations on a great eclectic collection and welcome to the Forum.

Great to see a Redux COURG; was it worth the wait? I'm waiting on an HONNR.

Guy

Sent from my Galaxy S23 Ultra using Tapatalk
Thanks, my collection is just based on my tastes, opportunities and spurs of the moment :)

The COURG was worth the wait at the time (don’t remember if/what was the delay), very light, it all just fits right - that dial is SO legible and rugged…
(The crown stem is finicky but never failed). It spent a lot of time on my wrist.

The HONNR is a very nice one, those B&R vibes… :) Did think about it at the time but was afraid a square 42 would be too big for me.
Please post when yours arrive!
These users thanked the author Mabeco for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Christopher Ward C1 Moonglow, Junghans, Seiko, Vostok, Swatch, Reporter, Certina...
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Ooh! I’ve taken a few wanders round your collection - I love the variety. My favourites are the high beat GS on very fine mesh (beautiful!) and the yellow Vostok scuba dude. Thanks for posting :D
rkovars
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Welcome! Great collection. The Seiko chronographs stand out for sure. You are not the only one who thought about picking up that San Martin and throwing it on a Goldfinger NATO :lol: I went with a Dartmouth instead in the end.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I do love to see some variety in a watch box. Lovely, thanks for sharing.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
Mabeco
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Mabeco
Senior
Senior

Post by Mabeco »

rkovars wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:40 pm Welcome! Great collection. The Seiko chronographs stand out for sure. You are not the only one who thought about picking up that San Martin and throwing it on a Goldfinger NATO :lol: I went with a Dartmouth instead in the end.
Lovely that Darthmouth! Would love it even more in 37-38
Mabeco
Senior
Senior

Post by Mabeco »

missF wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:57 pm Ooh! I’ve taken a few wanders round your collection - I love the variety. My favourites are the high beat GS on very fine mesh (beautiful!) and the yellow Vostok scuba dude. Thanks for posting :D
'Stole' the milanese from the Mr.Jones watch :)
missF
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Thanks for sharing your collection, it's certainly very individual. Those top five are great, big fan of your father's Certina. Funnily enough, also like his Seiko 5 from the 90s. It's interesting how popular Seiko are as a brand to enthusiasts, I've never quite got it myself, I must be missing something. It seems that a lot of watch collecting journeys begin with Seiko and finish up with Rolex. Do you see yours taking a similar route?

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

That’s a nice interesting collection you’ve built up and certainly very different from the usual watches we see.

I must admit though, if I had run out of room in the watch box, I wouldn’t think of using an old pan to store them in…. :lol:
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Mabeco
Senior
Senior

Post by Mabeco »

iain wrote:That’s a nice interesting collection you’ve built up and certainly very different from the usual watches we see.

I must admit though, if I had run out of room in the watch box, I wouldn’t think of using an old pan to store them in…. :lol:
Eheheheh

In fact, that photo was after a summer vacation where I was soakinf the watches in fresh water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mabeco
Senior
Senior

Post by Mabeco »

strapline wrote:Thanks for sharing your collection, it's certainly very individual. Those top five are great, big fan of your father's Certina. Funnily enough, also like his Seiko 5 from the 90s. It's interesting how popular Seiko are as a brand to enthusiasts, I've never quite got it myself, I must be missing something. It seems that a lot of watch collecting journeys begin with Seiko and finish up with Rolex. Do you see yours taking a similar route?

Des
Thanks for the comment to my collection and my Father's watches :).

Today I'm not sure I'll own a rolex, a few years ago yes, submariner all the way. my rolex fascination dwindled heavily with the San Martin - as a Bond 6538 hommage.

Seiko's history let's you access that entry point that just throws you down the rabbit hole. It started with the skx007, than the tunas, than the chronos, there are still quite a few vintage seikos I would pick up. Than I found Grand seiko and king seiko, high beats, and I could just go on...

Than the spring drive GS - it spends the most time on my wrist by far... A GADA

Right now I need to consolidate to be able to think about my next watch.

I can see an omega (vintage), a jlc reverso (if I can save enough) or a cartier tank, and I'm very curious by the tudor bb54.

You mad me reflecte a bit, thanks @strapline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
strapline