Gower8484 - Jan 24

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
Gower8484
Senior
Senior

Gower8484 - Jan 24

Post by Gower8484 »

It's been almost 2 years since my last SOTC and there been a few changes so time to do another one.
I've moved on 2 Christopher wards, 2 Ball, 2 Tissot and 1 Tudor. Selling the Tudor Grantour was a massive mistake, I really regret this one!
Last time around I really wanted to get my collection at a maximum of 6, I'm sitting at 9 and still want others.
Screenshot_20240107-143340_Gallery.jpg
Omega Speedmaster reduced.
For my 18th birthday I was gifted a gold chain and bracelet. I liked it for about 3 years and then saw sense and they were sat in my drawer doing nothing for around 15 years so decided to sell up and put the funds towards a watch from the year I turned 18.
Got this for a bargain before the prices shot up.
I love this watch but it is up for sale as i think its a delicate watch and mine do take a bit of a beating. I do wonder if I'd regret selling it just like the grantour.

Omega Seamaster
I sold the Tudor grantour to buy this one.
At first I thought it was a good idea. I paid £3k on top of the sale of the grantour and I personally think I should have kept the Grantour. I do enjoy this when it's on the wrist but don't find it the comfiest bracelet.

Tudor GMT
Love this watch. 2nd luxury watch after the tag.
Will never sell this. I am looking at the Opaline GMT too now. Possibly move the seamaster on to get it.

Grand Seiko.
If you've never worn a Grand Seiko I highly recommend you do.
The finishing of the case, dial, indices and hands are out of this world. I constantly find myself staring at my wrist when I'm wearing this. The shine and reflection from it gets a lot of comments. The sweep of the spring drive is also a joy to watch.
I will add another GS to the collection
Love it, again can't see me selling this.

Screenshot_20240107-143142_Gallery.jpg
Omega Dynamic
I can't remember where I first saw one of these online but I think it's fun and ticks the field watch box nicely. It is another one I do sometimes think about moving on.

Tudor Chrono Heritage
Purchased this just before it was discontinued with the intention of selling when the prices shot up. However for the time being I'm really enjoying it. Again another fun watch to look at and something very different.

Tag Heuer Aquaracer.
My first ever luxury watch 8 years ago.
Treated it to a service last year.
Takes an absolute beating and still as reliable as the day I got it.
My eldest son loves this watch so it will stay with me until he's a bit older.

Zenith Chronomaster Sport.
My grail watch but out of my budget.
After being on the wait list for 4 years for a Rolex explorer I finally got the call just before Xmas.
I was left completely underwhelmed. I then saw Goldmsiths had 20% off Zenith, a big birthday coming up and the rest is history.
This watch is absolutely stunning. And that movement!! Just a shame about the clasp.
Still a fantastic watch.

CW Solaris
Another fun bright watch.
This watch actually gets more positive comments than any other.
Looks much better on the wrist.

I'm happy with what I've got but I really would like to have a smaller collection.
Unfortunately I don't really want to sell anything and there are other I still want to bring in.
I'm sure there will be more changes to come!
These users thanked the author Gower8484 for the post (total 3):
welshladrkovarsStrapMeister
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: Gower8484 - Jan 24

Post by Dickchins »

Im liking that lot!
Theres 2 in there that im after...! (Neither are the Speedy im afraid!)

Ive cut my collection massively, and other than a couple of regrets im more content having done it. 2 or 3 more in (plus the sale regrets back if all the stars line up one day down the line!!!) and im happy.

Its daft how difficult it can be to sell a watch, especially if it has no sentimental value, so good skills on your cull! I hope it works out :thumbup:
Gower8484
Senior
Senior

Post by Gower8484 »

After looking at these pictures I've realised I'm actually really content with what I have.
I'm going to make a pact with myself to not look at buying or selling for this year atleast.
Enjoy what I have
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Gower8484 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:43 am I'm going to make a pact with myself to not look at buying or selling for this year atleast.
Enjoy what I have
I believe that settling in and enjoying what you have is a real art form. I'll be in that place soon and I'm really looking forward to it.

Anyway, thanks for the write-up I really enjoyed it. I also like the Gran Tour very much so I'm sorry to hear you're missing it :(
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

It’s a good idea to give yourself some reflection time. That’s a really nice collection you have, and that Speedy wouldn’t be going anywhere if it were mine.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
NigelS
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 2

Post by NigelS »

Gower8484 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:26 pm Grand Seiko.
If you've never worn a Grand Seiko I highly recommend you do.
The finishing of the case, dial, indices and hands are out of this world. I constantly find myself staring at my wrist when I'm wearing this. The shine and reflection from it gets a lot of comments. The sweep of the spring drive is also a joy to watch.
I will add another GS to the collection
Love it, again can't see me selling this.
and so say all of us - well, those that know, anyway :D
'Life is Art, and not otherwise' C.S.Lewis
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

Nice collection you’ve acquired. I’m also in the camp of wanting to keep my collection small, I’m currently sat at 6 and while I’m trying to reduce the numbers I don't seem to be able to manage it.

As for having a pause and settling with what you have, again I’ve promised to do that on several occasions and never managed to.

However if you do manage to keep hold of these, it’s not a bad selection to be forced to choose from every day.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

@Gower8484 First off, that's a nice collection of watches. There's some real quality in there. I did have to chuckle about the comment you made concerning your Moonwatch: 'I love this watch but it is up for sale as i think its a delicate watch and mine do take a bit of a beating. I do wonder if I'd regret selling it just like the grantour.'

They were the fist watches certified by NASA as suitable for manned space flight. Lift off, zero g, moon landing and earth re-entry. Hopefully a few earthly endeavours should be manageable...surely. :lol:

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Gower8484
Senior
Senior

Post by Gower8484 »

strapline wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:58 pm @Gower8484 First off, that's a nice collection of watches. There's some real quality in there. I did have to chuckle about the comment you made concerning your Moonwatch: 'I love this watch but it is up for sale as i think its a delicate watch and mine do take a bit of a beating. I do wonder if I'd regret selling it just like the grantour.'

They were the fist watches certified by NASA as suitable for manned space flight. Lift off, zero g, moon landing and earth re-entry. Hopefully a few earthly endeavours should be manageable...surely. :lol:

Des
This isn't a moonwatch though.
It's the Speedy reduced. A completely different model and movement
These users thanked the author Gower8484 for the post:
strapline
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

A lovely collection. :thumbup:

I often wish I had bought one of the Tudor heritage Chronographs when they were first discontinued. My only hesitation was that I prefer 12 hour Chronographs.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Gower8484 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:12 pm
strapline wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:58 pm @Gower8484 First off, that's a nice collection of watches. There's some real quality in there. I did have to chuckle about the comment you made concerning your Moonwatch: 'I love this watch but it is up for sale as i think its a delicate watch and mine do take a bit of a beating. I do wonder if I'd regret selling it just like the grantour.'

Des
This isn't a moonwatch though.
It's the Speedy reduced. A completely different model and movement
Oops, I wasn’t giving this my full attention obviously. Still, as I said in my OP, you’ve a fine selection of watches there.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Gower8484
Senior
Senior

Post by Gower8484 »

Dickchins wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:48 pm Im liking that lot!

Ive cut my collection massively, and other than a couple of regrets im more content having done it. 2 or 3 more in (plus the sale regrets back if all the stars line up one day down the line!!!) and im happy.

Its daft how difficult it can be to sell a watch, especially if it has no sentimental value, so good skills on your cull! I hope it works out :thumbup:
Which 2 are you after, out of interest??
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

Very nice.

I particularly like the Omega Dynamic (I regret selling mine a few years ago).
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

Gower8484 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:46 pm
Dickchins wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:48 pm Im liking that lot!

Which 2 are you after, out of interest??

Sorry, ive not been on in a while.

I have that Seamaster and a Solaris on my wanted list. Unfortunately my back account tells me neither will be in my immemediate future!!!