Baser - SOTC July 2023

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
Baser
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Baser - SOTC July 2023

Post by Baser »

First SOTC. Sorry if I ramble on a bit, this is the first time I have written about my watches despite being a fan of a nice watch for years, most of mine have a sentimental reason to be in the collection.
IMG_8423.jpeg
This is the full collection, + an Apple Watch, Sorry for the poor photo I have not taken many group shots.
IMG_8426.jpeg
This Seiko Kenetic is my oldest watch, it's a 5M63-0B20 from September 2000. I bought this watch with my birthday money and a top up from an inheritance from my Nan. I really liked the army / dive / pilot style back then and I still do now. It needs a new capacitor as it only runs for a couple of minutes before stopping no matter how much you wear it. I have the tool kit but need to find the time to swap it out.
IMG_8427.jpeg
This is a Rotary automatic limited edition watch, I have the box and original receipt for it from March 2012 but unfortunately the papers have gone missing. It's not really my style and I have to confess I have not worn it. The watch was my Dads and he left it to me when he passed. It will remain (probably unworn) in my hands until I pass it on.
IMG_8424.jpeg
This hulking beast is a Luminox 1880.BO one of their limited edition all black watches. They have a very distant connection to the military, Navy Seals, FBI, ATF and a number of other US agencies even if they really wear G-Shocks. My wife got me this watch as an engagement present in September 2012 and its well worn, so well worn the PVD has worn through in a couple of places. I really like the tritium lume on the Luminox watches, it's always on and easy to read all night. It's a heavy tank of a watch with a 26mm strap, it's 14mm thick and 47mm face. It still gets worn fairly regularly but mostly for special occasions.
IMG_8400.jpeg
My first CW watch a C11 MSL, bought new in May 2015. I really like this easy to read, simple style of the pilots watch. I bought this watch as the PVD on my Luminox 1880 was rubbing off the case, when I showed the picture to my wife she said it was an acceptable substitute so I ordered it. I love the fact it came with a letter signed by Chris himself, my first automatic 'proper' watch. When it showed up it was far posher than the photos so I didn't wear it a lot as I was working in the field and didn't want to trash it. I still wear it fairly frequently but my wife says it has an annoyingly loud tick........ I need to get it serviced.
IMG_8425.jpeg
Another Luminox this time a 1843. I bought this on a whim when I saw one at a price I couldn't refuse in October 2015 while on a business trip in Germany. It's the slightly smaller case than the 1880 so 'only' a 23mm strap, 14mm thick and 42mm face. I wore this watch a lot when the 1880 started to get shiny and work was to hands on to wear the C11. It doesn't get worn an awful lot now, I do like the way the blue dial pops and the tritium lume.
IMG_8421.jpeg
A C65 Super Compressor which was a recent last minute second hand purchase for a diving / snorkelling holiday. I do love this watch, it has a great story to bore people with and it opened the world of exhibition case backs to me. I love the shape of the case and the way it's polished or matt in layers which really thins down quite a big watch, The internal bezel also makes the watch face look smaller. It's dressy for a dive watch but I like to put a sail cloth / Hybrid strap on it to dress it down. Given it's the same SW200 movement it's very quiet compared to the C11 and returns to life very quickly after it stops ticking. I might try and find the dark blue version of this watch in the future, or trade it for a C11 MAKAIRA Extreme if a nice one comes up at a reasonable price.
IMG_8399.jpeg
My most recent acquisition is this second hand C8 Regulator. I wanted one of these when they first came out but funds wouldn't allow, this one came up at an unbelievable price and I grabbed it. I really love the face of this watch, if you look at it from an angle it almost looks 2D, the way it's very plain except the engraved circles around the hour and second dials. This adds to my love / collection of pilot style watches with the addition of the exhibition case back. It's more or less my daily wear at the moment.

In this mix I have had a couple of Apple Watches, they are great for travel but I need a digital detox from them when I get home.

Looking back up this list I think I have honed my taste over the years, mostly in the functional pilot / army style (functional rather than flashy). From here I am thinking I would like a watch with the SH21 movement?? Maybe a C8 SH21 5 day power reserve or if my lotto numbers come up a C9 ME109 or a nice clean C11 MAKAIRA Extreme. I have also recently discovered the world of watch bands / straps and will be exploring the thousands of options for a while.
These users thanked the author Baser for the post (total 6):
rkovarsjkbarnesMistaFroggyGStifNoushJasperCat
C11 MSL, C65 Super Compressor, C8 Regulator, C9 ME109 SPC, C8 Regulator LE, C65 GMT Pepsi, C11 Ti Extreme.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: Baser - SOTC July 2023

Post by iain »

Thanks for sharing this and going into the details with your watch journey. My personal favourite is the super compressor having owned a couple myself. The regulator is also an interesting watch and one I admired at the time they were on sale new,
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
Baser
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Some nice old school CWs there! :clap:
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Baser
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

A nice collection, and very well photographed. The CWs stand out for me, especially the C11.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
Baser
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Great post. Thanks for taking the time to put it together. I love the C11 (it was my first CW and the start of the journey), but wow - I also love the luminox! Even though it needs more room for the chronograph movement I also suspect that some extra casework was added to that just for the beef! I would wear watches like that if I didn’t have noodle wrists :thumbup:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
Baser
Baser
Senior
Senior

Post by Baser »

Thank you for the kind words everyone!

Photos were taken with an iPhone, I was surprised they came out at all!

If you open up the Luminox watches they are the same movement inside with a plastic spacer. Boo!!

I can only just get away with wearing the 1880, it's a monster.
C11 MSL, C65 Super Compressor, C8 Regulator, C9 ME109 SPC, C8 Regulator LE, C65 GMT Pepsi, C11 Ti Extreme.
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

Great post and nice to see the C11 featured prominently.......probably the only CW I've sold on that I have some regret selling. Always provided a Panerai-esque vibe for me. Fine collection!
These users thanked the author Viognier for the post:
Baser
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

A great write up of your collection and you clearly have a theme with CW and Luminox pieces. No bad thing.

The C11 MSL is lovely and my first CW too back in 2012. As to its 'loud tick' I never noticed it but other forum members have commented on it recently. It must therefore be an idiosyncrasy with this watch, and not an inherent fault.

You've certainly got an interesting shopping list, good luck with your search.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
Baser
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Thegreyman »

Thanks for posting, the C11 and the Regulator stand out for me :thumbup:
These users thanked the author Thegreyman for the post:
Baser
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C60 Atoll White Shark, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Stif »

Growing up in the 80s I assumed all watches either ran on batteries or were hand wound - in the late 90s when I first saw Seiko's Kinetic watches appearing I thought they were the coolest thing I'd ever seen! Really like the straightforward design of yours - even 20+ years later I think it looks amazing!
These users thanked the author Stif for the post:
Baser
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Developer of mobile watch app WristCheck - find out more at wristtrack.app
Baser
Senior
Senior

Post by Baser »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:05 am A great write up of your collection and you clearly have a theme with CW and Luminox pieces. No bad thing.

The C11 MSL is lovely and my first CW too back in 2012. As to its 'loud tick' I never noticed it but other forum members have commented on it recently. It must therefore be an idiosyncrasy with this watch, and not an inherent fault.

You've certainly got an interesting shopping list, good luck with your search.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk
Thanks Guy.

I think the C11 might just need a service, I have never serviced a watch before and I think some of my older watches are getting to that point where the oil / grease has dried out and the capacitors are coming to the end of their life.

The shopping list is for the future, I have a small watch fund which I spend when I see something I like at a good price. I have not really gelled with the more recent CW watches so I will take a look at a few other aviation watch options.
These users thanked the author Baser for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Baser
Senior
Senior

Post by Baser »

Thegreyman wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:33 am Thanks for posting, the C11 and the Regulator stand out for me :thumbup:
These are probably my favourites as well along with the Luminox 1880.
Baser
Senior
Senior

Post by Baser »

Stif wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:13 pm Growing up in the 80s I assumed all watches either ran on batteries or were hand wound - in the late 90s when I first saw Seiko's Kinetic watches appearing I thought they were the coolest thing I'd ever seen! Really like the straightforward design of yours - even 20+ years later I think it looks amazing!
Thanks Stiff

I had the same thought, having only worn cheap plastic Casios up to that point I thought I had made it to the big time when I bought the Seiko. I have some fond memories from wearing it and it makes me smile when I pick it up.

The real thing that shows its age is its size, its tiny compared to my more modern watches.
Stif
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

Thanks for sharing an interesting collection and enjoyed the story :thumbup:
Properly cool set of CWs there!
These users thanked the author Noush for the post:
Baser
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
Baser
Senior
Senior

Post by Baser »

Update to the CW side of my collection for January 2024.

Managed to add the C9 ME109 to my collection thanks to Bert Monroe. Then added the C8 Regulator LE thanks to James Whittaker. Then added the C65 GMT Pepsi thanks to Martin Taylor and finally added a C11 Makaira Extreme thanks to CBMVic20. It's been busy six months adding to the collection and I am very happy with my purchases and the great experience I had buying from the forum and CWE Facebook group.

The C65 Super Compressor might go at some point this year if it doesn't get worn more often. I bought it to use when swimming / snorkelling but it wears a bit small for my tastes and I now have the C65 Pepsi and C11 Makaira Extreme. Other than this I can't see the collection changing much this year, I would still like a C8 CH21 power reserve, C1000 Typhoon and C8 M2.04 LE but I need to put some more money in the watch account as its very empty ATM.

Also need to work on my OCD, I took the photo below to show my collection in the order I added them, maybe the Super Compressor will need to stay after all.........
IMG_9190.jpeg
Bahnstormer_vRS