2016 comes to an end…

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

2016 comes to an end…

Post by ItsAliveJim »

As 2016 draws to a close and the world appears to be going to hell in a handcart (seriously, have you seen the new Rolex Air King?) I thought I'd reflect on a busy year in the life of a watch idiot.

I started the year by saying I was intending to not buy every sub-£500 watch that caught my eye, and would concentrate on whittling down the collection to about eight 'good ones'. Yeah right! That resolution lasted all of two weeks, and the year continued in the same vein.

There have been too many comings and goings to list them all, but a few notables that were bought and flipped this year were…

Just over one every 2 months, but there were incomings that stayed and this is where the collection is at the moment – although there is a month left until we hit 2017 :lol:

These are the so-called 'beaters', although I never really beat up any of my watches

And another two:

And the best of the rest:

Most of these have remained constants, such as the Explorer II, Railmaster, Aerospace, Black Bay, Tutima Military Chrono, and Omega SM300.

But the new incomings I can see staying are:

Everyone just needs one of these in their collection. Classic case design, quartz accuracy, superb lume and no frills.

This has been a real grower. It's comfortable and has some nice touches, but it's workmanlike and I really enjoy picking it up, setting it and feeling the weight on my wrist.

I've never owned an Oris before and I'd never really considered them. The Aquis range leaves me cold and other more formal designs, such as the pointer dates and the Artelier, do nothing for me. As for the Williams and Artix range, they're just not my cup of Rosie Lee. But then they released the Divers Sixty-Five, which sparked my interest, and in the same year they released the Pro Pilot range. Mmmm, that's better. The Big Crown Pro Pilot Date is a lovely watch to wear. It's hyper legible, the bracelet fits like a glove, and the whole build quality feels solid and sorted.

So there we are. There's no telling where 2017 will lead but I won't be making any resolutions and we'll see where it goes… :D
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
footycrazy
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: 2016 comes to an end…

Post by footycrazy »

Fabulous collection John and i suspect 2017 will be a very similar year if permitted.

:thumbup:
Graham
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

2016 comes to an end…

Post by gaf1958 »

It is so nice to see that I'm not the only one afflicted! But then it's common enough on this forum isn't it...
I keep saying it'll change and it never does, although most of the stuff I've been buying has been in the cheap and cheerful end of the price range rather than the more pricey stuff. That makes it easier to justify to myself. Who am I kidding? Myself that's who.

Some nice stuff there John, including some of the departures... I have to say I like the Alpina more than the similarly styled Longines you had before it. Been tempted more than once by that exact model CWC, maybe I should give it some more serious consideration...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by blowfish89 »

I started the year with one watch, my vintage Submariner. I am ending the year with two - my vintage Sub and a Seiko Tuna. I do have a few other older ones like my Fossil and Citizen and green Seiko Recraft, but I don't really count them now.

In the midst, I have bought and sold three watches - Squale 1521 blue, vintage Rado Quartz and a white dial Weiss field watch. I also had a lovely vintage Continental chrono and a lemania 5100 Tutima military chrono for a few days, courtesy my forum friends. I don't plan to buy anything else in December.

In summary, nothing too crazy this year..

sinner777
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sinner777 »

I will have to pass this thread. I have flipped too many watches.

One that will remain for a while is Ttsugar 6105 homage

sent from my LV using Gucci
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

As someone heading in the other direction, John, I have a lot of admiration for your collection. May it continue to grow.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Great looking collection and interesting to see what came and went.

Predictably the stand outs for me are the Exp2, BBR, SM300 and Railmaster.

How come you moved on the GS?

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

You've been busy !
Nice and varied collection though, some lovely pieces that I wouldn't mind myself.
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

nbg wrote:
How come you moved on the GS?

Neil
Because the seller wanted it back and I foolishly relented. It was a beautiful piece of work though and I doubt I'll find another so maybe I'll get to take it back 'on loan' again one day :D
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

An outstanding collection John , I must admit to liking every single watch , there really are some beauties there . Thank you for sharing .
Bernie
Alex r
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Alex r »

You know you have a quality collection when the watches flipped make an impressive collection in there Owen right.
Glad you have spent a productive year flipping. A settled IAJ collection just wouldn't be the same :lol:
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

A quality collection and easy to see why the comings anD goings, love that old time Tutima.

I can imagine the CWC taking a lot of wrist time away from the majority of the beaters.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

Dancematt wrote:A quality collection and easy to see why the comings anD goings, love that old time Tutima.

I can imagine the CWC taking a lot of wrist time away from the majority of the beaters.
I am wearing it a lot. I just got a USM strap (one strip of nylon with two nylon keepers) so it doesn't have the extra band adding height like a NATO, and it works really well. Can only find them in black with the two keepers but might try an eBay khaki version with one keeper and see if the flap tucks down.

But I love the watch and glad I went for it :thumbup:

downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Great collection, IAJ. I am drawn the Alpina, and always admire it in your NCWOTD pictures. :thumbup:
Richard
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

It'sAliveJim wrote:
Dancematt wrote:A quality collection and easy to see why the comings anD goings, love that old time Tutima.

I am wearing it a lot. I just got a USM strap (one strip of nylon with two nylon keepers) so it doesn't have the extra band adding height like a NATO, and it works really well. Can only find them in black with the two keepers but might try an eBay khaki version with one keeper and see if the flap tucks down.

But I love the watch and glad I went for it :thumbup:
Mine is certainly my favorite non sentimental watch. It's so easy and fuss free, it gets worn almost every other day. Even if someone offered me a sapphire crystal version I wouldn't exchange it. The mineral is a joy.
I miss all the great things that may never be.