LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Worn & Wound Review - C5 Malvern Mk II

Post by ianblyth »

http://wornandwound.com/2012/10/17/cwar ... ii-review/

A good review with lots of pictures and a 9 minute video.
Above the 6-marker is the word “automatic” and on either side of the marker are the words “Swiss Made”. I find the placement and design of the word “automatic” to be a bit annoying, it is sort of floating in space, and the font is a very plain sans-serif, almost feeling like it was not considered. Whether or not the watch even needs to say automatic at all is one question, but regardless I think it could have been applied with the same restraint and subtlety present in the rest of the watch design. That being said, this detail by no means detracts from the overall look and feel of the watch, and is frankly a fairly subjective issue.
I actually like AUTOMATIC on the watch. I have the C5 quartz which is blank and looks wrong as there is too much space on the dial and the logo is then unbalanced.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Re: Worn & Wound Review - C5 Malvern Mk II

Post by robinbarke »

Interesting comment on the "peculiar" logo. More to the point the winder still shows the original logo. Old habits die hard!

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

robinbarke wrote: the winder still shows the original logo.
I noticed that but the crown has the new W in C logo whereas some of the other new models have the old style with the new logo on the dial. I know they probably want to save money and keeping using old stock like crowns and rotors until they are gone but if they are going to do a rebranding then it should all happen at once and old logo stock needs to be written off.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

ianblyth wrote:
I noticed that but the crown has the new W in C logo whereas some of the other new models have the old style with the new logo on the dial. I know they probably want to save money and keeping using old stock like crowns and rotors until they are gone but if they are going to do a rebranding then it should all happen at once and old logo stock needs to be written off.
I do agree.You may have read the discussion on another thread about the volume of CW sales. If the figures quoted are accurate then it does seem to be taking an inordinate length of time to work through the old stock. In the meantime collectors are having to put up with hybrid examples which do little to enhance the reputation of the brand. Never-the-less the C5 Malvern Mark 11 does represent very good value for money.

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
Mr Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 17

Post by Mr Rick »

robinbarke wrote:
ianblyth wrote:
I do agree.You may have read the discussion on another thread about the volume of CW sales. If the figures quoted are accurate then it does seem to be taking an inordinate length of time to work through the old stock. In the meantime collectors are having to put up with hybrid examples which do little to enhance the reputation of the brand. Never-the-less the C5 Malvern Mark 11 does represent very good value for money.

Robin
As a Heuer collector I can tell you hybrid examples become highly sought after collectibles. Get them while you can. :lol:
Rick

Various vintage Heuers
CW C8 Pilot MK I and II, 2011 and 13 FLEs, C5 B of B and Malvern Aviator MK II, C11 MSL MK I, C70 DBR1, C60 and C60 GMT, C9 Harrison, C9 Chrono, C10 Aviator
Lamps
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Lamps »

Mr Rick wrote:As a Heuer collector I can tell you hybrid examples become highly sought after collectibles. Get them while you can. :lol:
I agree, little things like this can became very interesting in years and years to come.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I think this is an excellent and forthright review. :thumbup:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
chrisjohnson
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 40
LE-fourb: yes

Post by chrisjohnson »

Nice review - not sure i am ready for the collection expanding to cover such isues as hybrid builds!
Chris

"A thing of beauty is joy forever."
John Keats
tom_uk
Junior
Junior

Post by tom_uk »

I watched the video just now. Was that really a silver dial? At first I assumed it was a white one. If it was silver then it looked lighter in colour on their video than in the pictures on the CW website.
Euromance
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by Euromance »

Great review, hybrid only being a great collector's opportunity.
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

I love this article and video. Might be why I have my eye on getting a Silver MKII. The man's squeaky voice doesn't fit the manliness of the watch he is reviewing.
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
Howard Bennett
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Howard Bennett »

C5 MK 2 is my first CW. Absolutely delighted with it .. wear it everyday and it is a class act
C5 Mk 2 Auto
C5 Mk 1
... others on the radar !!