Watch size

Documentation and CW-related information
MadJam250
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Watch size

Post by MadJam250 »

Interesting article on the recent history of wristwatch sizes ....

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/whats-deal- ... explained/

Have to say I disagree that once you 'wear big' you don't go back to wearing anything smaller, as the article indicates... having just bought a C65 (42mm), the largest in my (modest) collection, I don't find, when swapping them about, that wearing, say, a 38mm feels weird. It's just nice to have a diverse selection (colour, shape, make, texture, feel, leather/steel etc and size).
MadJam

* CWL, x2 (C2, C3)
* Steinhart Titanium O1Ti500P
* Tissot Visodate heritage incoming
* Certina DS Podium chrono
* Seiko SARB033
* Smiths vintage mechanical WC4204/s
* Brathwait Classic Slim Steel
* Invicta 8924, 9094
bashomatsuo
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Re: Watch size

Post by bashomatsuo »

Interesting read.

I had a massive watch (45mm Hamilton) that wore even bigger. I'm 6ft2 and 17 stone and I just, just, pulled it off.

I would love to get a Arnie Style Royal Oak or a Hublot, but I could never pull them off.
Originally joined as basho on Fri Dec 15, 2006!
Watches: G-Shock GWG Mudmaster, Citizen ProDiver, Omega Moonwatch
Reviews: Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch - Christopher Ward Trident Pro 600 - Watches, Homages and Branding
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Yes, interesting article. Like the OP, I don't agree with the article's argument that once you start wearing bigger watches, you can't go back to smaller ones. I've tried all sorts of sizes and have moved up as far as 44mm in a few of my watches (and would happily have a 46mm Oris Aquis too), but I'm very happy in the sub-40mm range too, with my AT and Explorer, and am currently considering getting a 35mm Nomos. So it's horses for courses really, having a range of options available to you.

In any case, I've come to the conclusion that case size is not the main determinant of whether a watch is too big or too small (for your own wrist). For me, the key metrics are:

Lug to lug
Dial diameter (ie the size of the crystal, excluding any bezel)
Height

This is why I can contemplate a 35mm Nomos, because it has long lugs and most of it is dial, eg 32mm, which is comparable to some of my larger diving watches with large bezels.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Serlo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Serlo »

Thank you for the link to the article. I totally agree that it basically is up to you whether a watch is too big or too small for you, however, I also want to feel comfortable with the watch.

"Don't let other people tell you whether a watch is too larger or too small. You'll just have to wear it and look at it on your wrist in the mirror to make a personal decision. You also need to remember that the larger you are, the more likely a large watch will look suitable on you."

At 5ft6 (and 11 stone, so a pretty regular guy of "vintage" size :)) I cannot be considered to be large and my 6.5 inch wrist was just not built to accommodate large, contemporary sizes. My personal decision is that watches with 40mm diameter are usually as big as I can (or tend) to go, although my biggest watch is 44mm (thanks to its short lugs I can still wear it). Some vintage models I have got are 34mm watches, and yes, they look great. The good thing about smaller watches is that you can "see" the strap or bracelet. And I can "forget" about the watch because I don't feel it...

The bottom line it all comes down to is this: If the logs stick out past you wrist, it is too big.

That's all we need to know. Sometimes diameter is not as important as this rule and therefore I always try to find out what the lug to lug measurements of a watch are; more than 44mm (best fit for me) up to 46mm means that I cannot or don't want to wear it (exceptions prove the rule :oops: ). I wish CW included this pivotal information on their website...
Andreas
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

Thanks for the link Martin. I regularly wear a 47mm piece and will happily rotate it for a 39mm piece, taking delight in the difference in size. The key thing is that even at circa 54mm lug to lug, the largest piece in my collection still sits within the width of my wrist whilst the 39mm piece has a lovely heft to it, being on a bracelet. 39mm is the absolute smallest I will go though. I still remember trying on a 36mm explorer and feeling disappointed about how small and insignificant it felt.
Pipesmoker
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by Pipesmoker »

I'm surprised at how I have become used to bigger watches, digging out and trying on an old Citizen it suddenly seems tiny in comparison to the 42/44mm prices of today (and it's not just because I have got fatter over the years)
Andy

C60 - Black C11 - Vintage C4 - Phoenix C11 - Ti Extreme C60-600 - Red / White C1 - GMPR C60 - Orange crush
Gossipmeng
Junior
Junior

Post by Gossipmeng »

I prefer 38-42 mm range since I have smaller wrists, but also because I prefer people to admire my overall style and not one particular piece.
nzomatrix

Post by nzomatrix »

I enjoy watches in the 38-42mm range.
jack
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jack »

I always liked 40 up to 42mm for a long time and wouldn't go over 42, but I went down scale with a Timefactors speedbird a couple of years ago and love the watch and up slighty with my latest and very recent purchase of a IWC Le Petit Prince Pilot chrono at 43mm - no choice there as they have upped all the pilot chronos to 43mm.
I suppose I must have bucked the trend slightly by going down to the speedbird?
Cheers,
Jack.
FDS19
Expert
Expert

Post by FDS19 »

Is the issue not just size but weight? I have a big heavy Seiko diver and I just got given a micro weight Skagen. You hardly know it's there...
FDS19

* C65 Trident Vintage
* C60 Trident Mk 3 40mm Blue
cds72911
Senior
Senior

Post by cds72911 »

I'd agree that it is all about personal preference.

The other thought I have is that regardless of watch size, some watches wear either bigger or smaller than their actual size. My experience is that strap width can also make a huge difference - a 42mm watch with a 20mm lug width looks much smaller to me than a 42mm watch with 22 mm lug width.

I've found my upper and lower bounds. 46mm too big - 40mm too small. I base this on my Deep Blue T100 Diver with a 46mm case - it is just too big (I love the watch otherwise - amazing tritium lume!). My marathon gsar feels too small when I put them on regardless of how sturdy/solid/heavy it is - I think part of that is the 20mm lug/strap width.

The 42-44mm case is about right for me. My C60 at 42mm with 22mm lugs is ideal. I also like the look and feel of the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Goodplanet that is 43.5mm case and 22mm lugs (I do not own one, just from trying on at the AD). I haven't found one larger that I like.

For me the sweet spot is 42 mm with 22mm lugs.

If someone would come out with a tritium lumed C60 600M GMT with ceramic bezel (with proper GMT markings) I'll be lined up to buy one.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

I had a quick look at my collection and to the closest mm, my watches ranges in size as follows:

38mm 2
39mm 1
40mm 3
41mm 5
42mm 21
43mm 8
44mm 2
45mm 1
46mm 1

That's quite a wide size range but apparently 42mm is popular with me. That's not necessarily because they fit better, but more likely due to my taste in watches - most of my Omegas and Seikos are that size.

The two 38mm ones are an almost square Kemmner Tonneau that wears much larger due to the squarish case shape and a similarly shaped 1980s Omega. The 39mm is an Omega AT.

At the other end of the scales, the 45mm is an Oris Artelier that quite frankly surprised me when I measured it at 45mm - I would have guessed it to be 42mm - the curvaceous Artelier case obviously belies it's girth, but then it is quite a thin watch as well.

The 46mm giant is my Seiko Sawtooth - a watch with very short concealed lugs that also curve downwards to wrap around the wrist and meet the curving bracelet. It fits my 7.25" wrist beautifully - it was my watch of choice for a recent two week trip and while it's a little heavy, it never really felt bulky. It's funny how that can be done, but it's a combination of a very short lug to lug length, the downward curve of the case and finally the OEM bracelet. I tried it briefly on a 22mm leather strap and it felt very awkward and looked huge...

Probably the watch that felt the biggest and heaviest on my wrist was my 43mm Oris Aquis on its very chunky bracelet. It feels super solid and unbreakable, but very very heavy. I'm not sure if the actual weights bear that out, but that's how it feels...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Keeper of Time
Junior
Junior

Post by Keeper of Time »

I have 7.5 wrists. 42mm is perfect for me. I can go up to 46mm but prefer to stay at 40mm or above.
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

Size is important to me 8) . And small is beautiful. I'll wear 34 - 40mm, but 34 - 36mm is probably my fave.
dimitrof
Junior
Junior

Post by dimitrof »

I'd say 38mm-42mm is best, at least for me. I've tried on some 44mm watches, and while I really liked the design, I found them just a touch too large.