Uncle Bill
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12
LE-two: yes
Location: Mid-Sussex, just North of South Downs National Park

My New C50 SOSC

Post by Uncle Bill »

First, for those of you that just want to know the basics, I like this watch. It keeps good time...

If you want to read more -
Some may think of me as a traditionalist who grew up with little watches. Well, I did, but I'm not. I'm old enough to come from a time when a man had one watch, worn on his wrist all the time or who additionally possessed a (often handmedown) pocket watch to wear with his going-out suit. Which was often his staying-in suit as well, the pocket watch signalled the change of intention. His wristwatch eventually evolved, with improved finances, to bear the legend 'Swiss' and to have jewels. This would have involved a special trip to the nearer large town and much agonising over the display in one or two jewellers, before handing over carefully-saved cash.

I've got several survivors of those days, garnered from local charity shops and junk shops, surviving because their owner was given one of those new battery watches that no longer need winding with arthritic fingers. Old Faithful was put in a drawer and turned out when Uncle (or Auntie) died. I don't find many of those any more. None of those Uncles left. But I do have an original Smiths with the later lovely jewelled movement and a very nice Eternamatic amongst those Faithfuls as well as a Golden Heart for my wife. Hunting was good and included solid silver and gold.

When I was a kid I read of a watch that was a chronometer, wrist sized and not made for a ship. I looked it up and I wanted one! They've always been too expensive for me, until now...

I own four of the Mov't/Made earlier C5s and I bought one for my son. I have several Seiko 5s (the Forum Rats you may remember) and a rather nice Zenith Elite. Then there are some Divers, a C3, Seiko Monster, Max Bill Chronoscope and the Junghans Pilot chronoscope, all to show I'm not sizeist. My favourite and very, very accurate watch is a Hamiltons Khaki Field Officers Mechanical. I have just entered the following Review onto the CW page for the C50:-

'If you have an earlier C5, you might think this is more the same. It's not; the case is just a little bigger but the uncluttered dial means the watch wears bigger. The day and date are most welcome. The fine engraving of the face affords two wheel spokes of light, but also changes the colour of the dial. it may have been described as ivory but it is more champagne.
The watch keeps good time, starting at about +2 secs. I particularly wanted a watch certificated COSC; where else can you find a chronometer at this price? A good watch.'

This C50 is not just a C5 with new bedposts. It looks bigger and it doesn't look the same. The colour is gorgeous and I rate it as a Good Buy... UB :)
Let us hope all politicians are masochists, that they may truly enjoy our fondest wishes...
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: My New C50 SOSC

Post by downer »

Entertaining and well-written review UB, and I'm glad you like the watch. I must admit I am tempted, as chronometers at this price are few and far between (maybe it's possible to buy a Mido, if you like that sort of thing).

However, rule number of reviews is; 1. Reviews must be accompanied by pictures! :)
Richard
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 3

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Great post, Bill! :thumbup:

I really enjoyed reading it, and I see my father, grandfather and uncles in your descriptions, to a T! :clap:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 147
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Congratulations UB. I am very happy that, at long last, you have acquired a grail watch.
Uncle Bill wrote:'If you have an earlier C5, you might think this is more the same. It's not; the case is just a little bigger but the uncluttered dial means the watch wears bigger.

This C50 is not just a C5 with new bedposts. It looks bigger and it doesn't look the same. The colour is gorgeous and I rate it as a Good Buy... UB :)
Thanks for the story/review and I must say I agree with you. :thumbup:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Nice post.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Russ-Shettle »

Very nice review Bill. I came from that era.
Uncle Bill
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Uncle Bill »

I've put a few snaps up in the Gallery this afternoon... UB :)
Let us hope all politicians are masochists, that they may truly enjoy our fondest wishes...
jack
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jack »

Wow Uncle Bill...that's what I call a review from the heart! A great read, very interesting and thought provoking and also tells me everything I need to know about the C50. :)

I just took a look at your pictures in the gallery, it looks stunning. A very smart addition to the collection :wink:

And thanks for the heads up/PM, UB!

Cheers,
Jack.
Uncle Bill
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Uncle Bill »

Timekeeping +2 until two days ago, then has changed to -3 for a couple of days. I will wear it for a much longer time before considering any adjustment... UB :)