Documentation and CW-related information
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2
LE-fourb: yes

My first Christopher Ward C5 Malvern

Post by robert75 »

Well I have finally made my first CW purchase a C5 Malvern Aviator so thought I would post my thoughts on the watch and the CW customer service.

Well first things first the order arrived very very fast. Quite literally order placed and at my door within a couple of days (In the UK of course) Watch arrived very well packed and comes in a nice watch box sitting on a padded cream cushion. Watch came with a signed letter from the company, papers and instructions. The impression given from CW is that they are interested in their customers and you are not just a faceless number buying one of their products.

Now on to the watch. Well first impressions are positive. For the money you get a Swiss made automatic watch 38mm case (Nice size in my opinion, some may think thats a little small but I am over 6ft tall, do not have a thin wrist and it does look the part) The display back is a nice touch and I do like the polished steel case and the fact that this is a Sapphire glass makes this bloody good value for money.

Now for some negatives. First impressions on the lume of the watch are not too great (They are on the hands rather than the numbers) I have not checked it for any prolonged length of time so I may have to come back to that one. Second is the deployment clasp which I know is a bit of a moan for many people. It may be something for CW to consider for the future I personally think it can make the watch seem a little thin (I think the buckle of the strap can add to the size and feel of the watch) And as this watch sits a little higher than many watches they may want to think about a regular strap. The other problem this kind of clasp can cause is putting the watch away in carry cases for travel. Maybe giving the customer the option of strap is the way forward?

All in all for the money and customer service I would recommend CW. I have been pleased with my purchase, the lume issue is one I will have a better look at over the next few weeks and I do think I will probably buy an aviator strap to go with this watch as I think one of those would be better looking for it (Especially as they are fold over and slightly thicker) Very happy with my purchase, top marks to CW.

Will post a few pictures over the next few days.
Mr Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 17

Re: My first Christopher Ward C5 Malvern

Post by Mr Rick »

Congratulations on your first CW. Hope you enjoy your new C5. I'll be watching for the pictures. :thumbup:
Rick

Various vintage Heuers
CW C8 Pilot MK I and II, 2011 and 13 FLEs, C5 B of B and Malvern Aviator MK II, C11 MSL MK I, C70 DBR1, C60 and C60 GMT, C9 Harrison, C9 Chrono, C10 Aviator
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 3

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Good choice, Robert, congratulations and enjoy! 8)
As Rick says, we do need the pictures.
It should fit a travel case if you undo the deployant - my C5 and C8 both do. Personally I like them but not everyone seems to.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 147
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Congratulations! I am looking forward to the photos.

The deployant seems to be a love hate thing for some. Personally I love them. A quick seperation works for travel with me.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by robert75 »

Yes it does fit my travel case. Its just that because of the way the clasp is you have to either as you say undo the clasp or I have found folding it over it just sits up a bit which may put a few potential buyers off. Just a suggestion to CW but I think a choice of straps would be a good idea as its nice to keep a watch on its official strap.
f1colin
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by f1colin »

Balanced review, nice piece, I keep on looking at the one in Sales Corner....
f1colin

Rolex Sub, Oyster, Daytona
Tudor Black Bay, Big Block
Omega Dynamic, Speed, Speed 2, Speed 4.5, SM300
Heuer Monaco, Monza, Daytona, Silverstone, Autavia, Carrera, Calculator, Camaro, Montreal, Audi, Verona, 844, AMI, 1000
Seiko Pogue
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by robert75 »

Just a small addition to my review I should have mentioned the crown. Its a nice touch and one I thought I should mention, its a screw in crown that helps it keep its water resistance. In order to change the time and date however you need to turn it anti clockwise and it will "Pop out" and the date and time can be adjusted. Kind of reminds me a little of the Vostok watches (Apart from when its unscrewed it doesnt feel like its broke!!!) I have tried to upload a few pictures but I guess you cant cut and paste from photobucket. Any tips chaps so I can post a few photos?
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 147
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by robert75 »

Many thanks to Kip for giving me the heads up on posting photos.

Pictures as promised. I will try and get a few night photos up too in the next few days.

I have included one of the clasp so you have an idea of what it is like. The strap is a bit thicker than perhaps I have first described. Also included is one in the travel case. The difference in shade on the face is from the reflection on the glass.
Mr Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 17

Post by Mr Rick »

Nice pictures. The C5 is so classy.

You mentioned the lume so I thought I'd post this shot of my C5AKT to entice you. :D

Rick

Various vintage Heuers
CW C8 Pilot MK I and II, 2011 and 13 FLEs, C5 B of B and Malvern Aviator MK II, C11 MSL MK I, C70 DBR1, C60 and C60 GMT, C9 Harrison, C9 Chrono, C10 Aviator
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Nice lume shot Rick. When I bought my cream C5A I knew that the lume wasn't all that good compared to the black. If I need lume, I have other watches. The lume on the hands and pip are enough to estimate the time when I wake up in the middle of the night. Good enough most of the time. One of the stand-out features for me was the applied brushed stainless numbers on the cream C5A. They are one of the most distinctive features of the watch when comparing it to other aviation watches.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

Lavaine wrote:Nice lume shot Rick. When I bought my cream C5A I knew that the lume wasn't all that good compared to the black. If I need lume, I have other watches. The lume on the hands and pip are enough to estimate the time when I wake up in the middle of the night. Good enough most of the time. One of the stand-out features for me was the applied brushed stainless numbers on the cream C5A. They are one of the most distinctive features of the watch when comparing it to other aviation watches.
Agreed. I really do like the brushed stainless steel numbers. Gives it a more formal look and makes it less of a standard aviation watch. The finish on the raised, enamel-like black outline on all 3 hands is also very good.

A friend of mine spotted it on my wrist, went, "nice watch, what is it?", grabbed my arm :shock: , and began examining the dial carefully in detail. :thumbup:
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15
Nomos Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by scooter »

You can't beat a C5A Mark II for overall marks.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Uncle Bill
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12
Location: Mid-Sussex, just North of South Downs National Park

Post by Uncle Bill »

'nice watch, what is it?' is a phrase worth a great deal of money invested... Of my C5s, the cream Aviator is my favourite... UB :)
Let us hope all politicians are masochists, that they may truly enjoy our fondest wishes...
mrs j
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 10

Post by mrs j »

Lovely watch I have one on a bracelet take a look it's in the reference gallery.