Documentation and CW-related information
Mr Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 17

Re: CWL Piccolo Winder Review

Post by Mr Rick »

Peteo wrote:
Kip wrote:The pillows that came with the tested units were the same size.

I had no issues testing any size watch as the pillows had plenty of compression for fit.
My question about the pillows:

What about for watches with particularly small bands or bracelets? Do the pillows have any collapse to them to allow for a smaller band to fit securely? And if they do, does this affect how the pillow sits in the winder?

My Kingfisher has had links removed, and my Nav B Chrono has extra holes punched in the strap. Want to get two winders for these pieces. Obviously, any potential pillow issues would be a much bigger deal for a bracelet than a strap, but would still like to know if possible before I place an order.
One of my pillows is still round ( never been used) the other is more like a potato from being compressed by the watch straps. The cavity for the pillows is not circular, but has slots to accommodate the straps. You should be able to collapse the pillow to fit any strap. :thumbup:
Rick

Various vintage Heuers
CW C8 Pilot MK I and II, 2011 and 13 FLEs, C5 B of B and Malvern Aviator MK II, C11 MSL MK I, C70 DBR1, C60 and C60 GMT, C9 Harrison, C9 Chrono, C10 Aviator
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

Mr Rick wrote:
Peteo wrote:
Kip wrote:The pillows that came with the tested units were the same size.

I had no issues testing any size watch as the pillows had plenty of compression for fit.
My question about the pillows:

What about for watches with particularly small bands or bracelets? Do the pillows have any collapse to them to allow for a smaller band to fit securely? And if they do, does this affect how the pillow sits in the winder?

My Kingfisher has had links removed, and my Nav B Chrono has extra holes punched in the strap. Want to get two winders for these pieces. Obviously, any potential pillow issues would be a much bigger deal for a bracelet than a strap, but would still like to know if possible before I place an order.
One of my pillows is still round ( never been used) the other is more like a potato from being compressed by the watch straps. The cavity for the pillows is not circular, but has slots to accommodate the straps. You should be able to collapse the pillow to fit any strap. :thumbup:
Thanks for the feedback, Mr. Rick. I'll probably be getting a pair of them soon.
Peteo
CWs: C70US #702, 2009FLE #34, C65 S. Compressor
Non-CWs: AL&S 1815 A. Calendar, BREMONT Solo, CASIO G-Shock, GRAND SEIKO SBGA415 & SBGJ251, OMEGA Speedmaster Racing, SINN EZM13 & 103AB, TOWSON WATCH CO. C20 Chrono, TUDOR Black Bay Blue
ancientferguson

Post by ancientferguson »

I am no expert on winders but I do have a couple of observations about the Piccolo.

The instructions are pretty much useless and are of no real help at all. A poor show for a £75 anything.

The two cushions are indeed different thicknesses, considerably so, but there is no idication in the instructions as to their suggested use. Beginners like myself ought to have bought Watch Winders for Dummies.

I have a C20 Lido with a 24cm bracelet and I find that even with the thinner cushion, considerable fiddling is required to get the watch to fit inside the winder and to close the pretty useless cover.

During rotation on the thin cushion, the watch appears to push its way out of the winder fractionally and on a couple of occasions it has made contact with the perspex cover. This could be movement on the links, but for now I will be winding with the cover open...... not great. I am sure this must be user error, but without adequate instructions, I am not sure whether this is just poor design or stupid me.

If the cutouts are for the bracelet/strap, as suggested within the thread, then it is simple poor design. If I line my bracelet up with the cutouts, it doesn't take long before the watch dislodges and the winding motion develops an unsual gait.

I am sure this is all user error :? but I will persist, as I am not in the business of giving up and sending things back.

It is a pity my first post sounds so negative, but at least I haven't talked about my poor customer service experience or the deluxe presentation box that is well made externally and awful internally. :)

Hello to all!

af
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Welcome AF. There is no problem with posting an honest opinion and I think you make some valid points. Although I don't have a Piccolo winder, I will readily believe the instructions are not adequate.

Hopefully, someone will be along to make some suggestions.
Richard
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 147
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Welcome to "The Asylum" ancientferguson.

While testing the Piccolo winder, I did not experience your difficulty with the C20. I tried most models including the C20FLE and did not have any security problems at all. Mine did only come with 2 of the same size pillows. That may be the issue here.

I think you have experineced pretty much what I reported, though we may have stated the issues differently. The instructions with any winder that I have seen to date, have been useless in telling you how to work it for any watch. The most you get is a recommended setting. That is why I provided a link to the database at Orbita and the links to the CWL Archives. Between these 2 you should find what you need. All CWL watches are in the archives.

Your other opinions, if you care to elaborate, would be better placed in General Discussion.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Drmarkf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Drmarkf »

I've recently acquired an old-style CG single winder that was in almost-new condition (I think they were a re-badged Wolf model).

These came with one sprung pillow which is a bit large for my wrist - I've been experimenting and I've found it perfectly reliable so far to put a bracelet watch on the pillow with the bracelet open and doubled-back on itself at the back corner of the pillow. I then held the watch securely to the pillow by putting a thick rubber band around the watch and pillow.

I had been a bit concerned over the thing working loose and then damaging the watch against the casing, but so far this tweak is working really well (but it doesn't look so nice, perhaps!).

I don't intend to use the winder much, but you certainly need to have rock-solid reliability if you are going to use one.
Regards,
Mark

Rolex [4] : Omega [2] : Heuer [3] : Sinn : Nomos : Zeno : Steinhart : Citizen : Traser : Casio : Smiths/PRS
Mr Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 17

Post by Mr Rick »

Interesting comments. I've used the winder for every automatic watch in my collection. From my little Speedmaster Reduced at 38mm to my Steinhart Triton that is 55mm from lug to lug. I've experienced no problems whatsoever. I am however, very careful in the placement of the watch on the pillow and then the pillow in the winder. I think a few weeks of experience fitting watches in the winder and things should work themselves out. :thumbup:
Rick

Various vintage Heuers
CW C8 Pilot MK I and II, 2011 and 13 FLEs, C5 B of B and Malvern Aviator MK II, C11 MSL MK I, C70 DBR1, C60 and C60 GMT, C9 Harrison, C9 Chrono, C10 Aviator
Drmarkf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Drmarkf »

In my case the problem is that my wrist diameter is smaller than the diameter of the cushion so the cushion won't hold the watch securely on its own.
Regards,
Mark

Rolex [4] : Omega [2] : Heuer [3] : Sinn : Nomos : Zeno : Steinhart : Citizen : Traser : Casio : Smiths/PRS
ancientferguson

Kip wrote:Welcome to "The Asylum" ancientferguson.

While testing the Piccolo winder, I did not experience your difficulty with the C20. I tried most models including the C20FLE and did not have any security problems at all. Mine did only come with 2 of the same size pillows. That may be the issue here.

I think you have experineced pretty much what I reported, though we may have stated the issues differently. The instructions with any winder that I have seen to date, have been useless in telling you how to work it for any watch. The most you get is a recommended setting. That is why I provided a link to the database at Orbita and the links to the CWL Archives. Between these 2 you should find what you need. All CWL watches are in the archives.

Your other opinions, if you care to elaborate, would be better placed in General Discussion.
Kip,

Your review and your link to the CWL archives was very helpful and I should have added my thanks in my first post.

My problem relates to my enlarged bracelet, probably two extra links. I am not criticising the winder for not coping with the bigger bracelet, merely highlighting the fact that it doesn't. I like a loose strap. :thumbup:

With regard the other opinions, I have listed a series of events, errors and expectations with Wera and we had considerable dialogue. Those issues have been dealt with and I finally have all the items I wanted. The issue is closed.
Regarding the Deluxe Box, there will certainly be a review of the same, as I believe there are certain issues that need to be highlighted, particularly with the transit of these fine timepieces.

This will involve photographs and I will get round to it.

Thanks again,

Andy
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

I shall be looking forward to your comments. :)
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
ancientferguson

Just as word of warning for anybody thinking of using this winder with a large bracelet. Because of the lack of depth capacity of this winder, overnight, last night, my watch and cushion worked its way out of the winder and dropped five feet off the chest of drawers it was sitting on.

I found my watch this morning in the bottom drawer, amongst clothing, a drawer that thankfully had been left open by accident.

If you have an enlarged bracelet, I would suggest you don't buy this winder.
jayoungf9
Junior
Junior

Post by jayoungf9 »

Great review. I think I will be buying a couple of these.
KAW
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by KAW »

I received another Piccolo winder yesterday - the original model not the new carbon model - and the pillow was different. I don't know if this is now the standard pillow shipped with this winder but I hope it is because I found it to be a much more secure fit in the winding chamber. It's much softer, almost gel-like, and has 2 flattened sides rather than being completely round to better accommodate the watch strap/bracelet.
moriarty
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 10

Post by moriarty »

I bought a Piccolo winder about 2 months ago. It works well and the cushion has been fine - a very secure fit.

I have just bought another one for my C60 GMT.

I plan to use Programme B, but does anyone know whether the watch should be wound clockwise, or anti clockwise or if it does not matter ?

Moriarty
Moriarty

C9 JH Mk 2 C70 MC C600 C60 GMT C5 Mk 1 x 3 N22 CCC
Breitling SOHC LE / Navitimer '52 Omega '52 JLC Ebel Beluga Manchette Bulova Accutron Hamilton Ventura 80's Gucci Citizen Eco AT's 'Bambinos' 'Blue Mako' Seiko LE Kemmner Skeleton...
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

moriarty wrote:I bought a Piccolo winder about 2 months ago. It works well and the cushion has been fine - a very secure fit.

I have just bought another one for my C60 GMT.

I plan to use Programme B, but does anyone know whether the watch should be wound clockwise, or anti clockwise or if it does not matter ?

Moriarty
You will find the information you need here. Forum Archives. Look under the Battery TPD tab.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"