C5a cream v Omega Dynamic

Documentation and CW-related information
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

C5a cream v Omega Dynamic

Post by atnits »

Just a short comparison. A long while ago I was contemplating which watch to buy next, and both of these were on my shortlist. I ended up getting the C5a first, then acquired a Dynamic later. Apologies for the photos (I should have taken more care), but they'll give an idea.

Both side by side:

The Omega is 36mm in dia, with large Arabic numerals in a somewhat odd font (an acquired taste, I guess). Yellow details and a raised crystal.19mm lugs. Apparently a 2898 engine lies inside.

The C5 is 38mm, with applied numerals. 18mm lugs make the face look larger.

The Omega has a plain rear; the C5 is transparent (though I'm not sure the decoration justifies it - I'd be happy with a solid caseback for the C5 too.

Both watches have nice touches of detail, and both seem well-made. The Omega's crown is particularly nice to use.

As far as cost goes, the dynamics seem to sell for anything from around £450 upwards. The C5 I paid under £250 for (new). Both are available on bracelets, but I'm a leather man.

There are various things about the Omega I prefer - the case shape, the crown, the balance of the dial. And there are some things I prefer about the C5a - the applied numerals, the lovely cream dial.

At the moment I'm going through a "small is good" phase, so I'm currently preferring the smaller size of the Dynamic. I also prefer the date wheel placement on the Dynamic - the C5a's date seems stuck in no-man's-land, and a baton next to it (with another baton opposite, in place of the 9) would have balanced it no end. That said, the finish on the C5a, plus the applied markers, make the watch seem (despite what they cost) the more expensive piece.

I'm rather tired, so I'll leave it there for now guys. Which one would you choose?
teestech
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Re: C5a cream v Omega Dynamic

Post by teestech »

Both lovely watches. Parkers Jewellers in Sheffield are currently selling a Dynamic Auto on a bracelet for £1450 so if you've paid anywhere near the £450 you mention I reckon you have a bargain on your hands. Regardless of cost though, it looks great. I agree about the rather odd font on the numerals, but I actually quite like it. As for the C5, what can I say, I really like all the C5's, and fantastic value for money, as you'd expect from CWL.
Chr Ward • Rolex • Oris • Magrette • Orient • Helgray • Citizen • CWC • Momentum • Suunto • Rotary • Majex • Yema
Handwound: 2 • Automatic: 15 • Quartz: 6
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

I do like that Omega - it's a very characterful watch, with some great (and slightly quirky) details.

Interesting comparison - thanks for posting. :thumbup:
Richard
HendrixGreen
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by HendrixGreen »

I like omega, how old is it?
Hendrix Green
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Interesting comparison.

Not that it scares me away, but the Omega font is a bit funky. :thumbup:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Robin CB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Robin CB »

I do rather like the styling of the Dynamic - the quirky font gives a touch of the theatrical to a strong military style.

I have been watching a couple of the chronograph version on the bay and they can go for around £1300, so Parkers in Sheffield are being optimistic, even allowing for dealers markup.

I think I would find the 36mm size a little small for me, but I am glad it is good for you. I will hold out for a bargain chronograph at 38.5 mm

Thanks for sharing with us :D
highway62

Post by highway62 »

Both too dinky for me.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Thanks for an excellent comparison. Both the black Mk II and the Dynamic have been on my radar. After reading your comparison I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with either one, but I like the price of the CW better! Until I read your review, I had never noticed the orphaned date at 3. My Mk I has a '3' marker beside the date window.
As for the funky font, I like it. It sets the Dynamic apart from all the other military-look watches.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
eyewatch
Junior
Junior

Post by eyewatch »

atnits wrote: At the moment I'm going through a "small is good" phase, so I'm currently preferring the smaller size of the Dynamic.
I would echo the 'small is good', I like 36-38mm size. I could easily live with either watch but I would throw the Smiths 36mm military into the mix (new or old) if only for the reason that it doesn't have a date and it has a more conservative font. Could of course easily get used to the Omega font.