C11 Chrono - Review

Documentation and CW-related information
ikaruga
CW-watches: 2

C11 Chrono - Review

Post by ikaruga »

Here is my review of the C11 Chrono I wrote back in April 2012 but never got around to posting it. It has, against the story below, left my collection to fund a C7 Mk2. Alas my original gut feel turned out to be the correct opinion of it.

It was a lovely watch please don't get me wrong. I have a sneaking feeling I will regret this sale down the line.

Anyway on with the past, my review - sans photos. Enjoy!

C11 Chrono Review - April 2012

This is my 3rd CW to since being to introduced to the world of CW well over a year ago and has since taken a pretty penny from my bank account.

I'd liked the C11 since getting the CW mail shot with it gracing a full colour page. Could I really afford to buy another watch? Yes but at over £300 (I'm a cheapskate at heart!) I'm not so sure.

Cue the day I bought it. Deep breath, press Buy, try and forget the money side of things and maybe, just maybe enjoy a new watch. So to follow the usual headings of a review, here we go.

First impressions

Not great if I'm honest. Not like my C70 which was an instant keeper. The C11, to go against the grain of normality, didn't look so good in the flesh to the sparkly pictures on the CW website. Yes it looks nice but not quite as stand out as I was expecting. But that glass, actually what glass? They've sent me a dodgy one surely? Obviously not. Took off the protective plastic and the class then started to ooze out. But still not gelling with me like I thought it would.

I actually kept it locked away for about 3-4 weeks with the odd glance from time to time. Finally I took it back out and decided to give it a good trial run around the flat. Then it started to make sense. That glass again, the lovely bold typeface, the tiny fleck of red that really makes a hell of a difference to my liking of it. Yes it was growing on me. If something grows on me over time, I find it's usually a keeper. And that's exactly what I decided. Cancel the pre-paid envelope.

Day to day

It's a nice comfy watch to wear. Unlike the 2 TW Steels I've had which have both been sold because of the comfort factor over everything else, the C11 is just there on your arm. Lovely weight, nothing irritates... Bar that strap. Had to punch another hole for my wrist size and undoing the clasp is like a Krypton Factor task in its own right. A shame and I feel like each time I'm taking it off the hole is getting ever bigger without much persuasion. Nice strap otherwise.

I'm not fussed overly about time keeping. A strange thing to say, maybe, but as long as its on the minute I'm not so obsessive about seconds - I'm never early for anything in life so no need for accuracy! So I can't say for sure if it's accurate or not. I assume it is! Chrono movement is accurate, on the second and a lovely reset.

Considering the price, this has turned into, at present, my every day work watch - usually a cheaper Citizen. Having taken a very small chip out of the bezel of the C70 despite being über careful all the time, this feels like it would withstand day to day wear a little better. It's got more than a fair share of good comments as well, which is always a good thing. Size wise, it's spot on for my wrists in my opinion.

Conclusion

It's a watch that just keeps growing on me. I'm proud to be wearing it with whatever style of clothing I'm in, be it work or casual weekend clobber. From my initial skepticism, I'm chuffed I kept it.

Timeless design I'd say and something that will stay in my modest collection for some time.
C1000 FGR4 / CW C8 / CW C7 Mk2 / CW C70 BE
Certina DS Podium Chrono Auto
Parnis "Portuguese" style Auto
Timex IQ Flyback / Casio G Shock
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Re: C11 Chrono - Review

Post by MiniMpi »

Thanks for the review.
It's a pity it didn't gel with you but everyone's different ;)
ikaruga

Post by ikaruga »

Absolutely. I think the design just didn't suit my wrist. Do believe one day I'll be looking at that design again as my tastes change.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Enjoyed the review.

At least you now have a watch you seem more in love with. :)

How about a review of the C7 MK2!
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
ikaruga

Post by ikaruga »

Glad you enjoyed the review.

Yep a review of the C7 will be coming. Not even worn it yet! Sat proud (and wasted :lol: ) in the box still.