A Backward Step?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

A Backward Step?

Post by iain »

Back in September I purchased a watch to commemorate a year of special milestones. The watch I chose to mark these events was the JLC Polaris and I made a long introduction post HERE.

However despite really liking the watch, I’m not sure I ever really loved it as much as I hoped I would. There was nothing particularly wrong with the watch, yes the polished bracelet was a bit of a scratch magnet but it didn’t especially bother me. The inner rotating bezel was a friction fit rather than the traditional click mechanism, this meant anytime I wore a sleeve it moved the crown and never seemed to point to 12, but again that didn’t especially bother me. The power reserve was the usual 38 hours which also wasn’t an issue but it wouldn’t keep going for long in the box. Whenever I looked in the box and saw it had stopped, I could rarely bother to wind and set it and went for something else instead, even if the alternative has also stopped. Why was this? What was it about this watch that made me feel a little cold towards it?

I posted about rekindling the love for a watch and had a few responses but I knew deep down this wasn’t a watch I wanted to keep. I made a few tentative enquiries about possible trades but they came to nothing, however I also started to feel like I was only chasing the next new thing rather than a watch I really wanted.

When I thought back to how I came to own this watch it dawned on me. It wasn’t because of what the JLC was, it was because of what it wasn’t……

I once owned an excellent IWC Spitfire chronograph and really liked that watch, I wrote about it HERE when it arrived. It only really went because it had a recurring fault and I felt it was a bit of a lemon. I don’t regret letting it go for that reason, but every time I looked at the JLC I realised the reason I didn’t like it was because it wasn’t the IWC.

The decision was made, I wanted another IWC pilot chronograph but not the usual models. I really wanted one that had all the redeeming features of my old Spitfire and the hunt was on.

The aspects of the Spitfire I loved were the features that set it a step above the other IWC chronographs in my eyes. The in house flyback chronograph movement and the stunning dial with applied polished numerals. Any replacement had to tick these boxes.

Then this turned up and after some negotiations I finally bought the watch on Wednesday 24th May, co-incidentally the same date as my 20th anniversary which is what the JLC was bought to partially commemorate.

I now have on my wrist this beautiful IWC St Exupery edition chronograph, the main feature of the St Exupery range is the excellent brown sunray dial. This model also has the applied numerals but this time they are a different font which is the same as the early Le Petit Prince models. It also has the same flyback chronograph movement as my Spitfire but this time also has an hour hand on the 12 oclock subdial, the Spitfire was minutes only. This one was only ever sold on a brown leather strap with deployant clasp and I think it really suits the look of the watch, it gives it a big pilot vibe and is surprisingly comfortable. I may swap it for a brown leather strap and use a pin buckle in time but for now it’s staying on this.

Anyway, another IWC and one that will take the place of my JLC as my milestone watch.

A backward step? That depends on your point of view……..

7A6A0654-C66A-4393-92AB-B5AD4AF85CE5.jpeg
B05FEEE0-463D-42CE-B647-053AA940FC4F.jpeg
644E0A36-87B2-498C-9FA7-A3117926EE7B.jpeg
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 2):
SoporscheNoush
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Re: A Backward Step?

Post by missF »

When you talked about your dilemma regarding the JLC, I felt that you hadn’t really tested whether the watch should be moved on or not. There was the importance sentimentally that seemed to be very important, but in terms of the watch itself I didn’t think you’d really tested your theory, and my suggestion was to put the watch out of sight for a few months and see how you actually feel without it.

Well none of that was required was it?! As cautious as you sounded, I don’t think there was any need to worry. You should trust your thoughts- this is a blinder of a change.

I’ve never seen this IWC before. It’s one of the most gorgeous watches I’ve ever seen :D :clap:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
iain
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

@missF The IWC St Exupery range is not one of their most popular. Antoine de Saint Exupery was a French pilot and author who wrote the little Prince (Le Petit Prince) which is the name of another IWC range.

Like the IWC Laureus watches the St Exupery range supports IWC charity work and in this case the Antoine de Saint Exupery foundation which supports youth projects around the world.

The feature of the range is the brown dials in the same way the IWC petit Prince watches are always that blue. They do offer quite a lot of variety from 36mm pilots right through various chronographs and big pilots and have precious metal versions on offer. Some are LE models but others are open series, however these sell less than the core ranges so used models are harder to find.

This watch was sold between 2014 and 2018 mine is from 2016. Like my old Spitfire these were sold originally at quite premium prices which makes used examples quite a good buy. This one had a full IWC service in July and looks like it’s not been worn since.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by RichM »

That is a stunning watch, and whilst it's always a personal thing, definitely not a backward step from my pov. I really like how you've caught the different looks of the watch in pics one and two.

Congratulations, it looks great.
These users thanked the author RichM for the post:
iain
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

While the Little Prince is more widely known my favorite is Wind, Sand and Stars.

"In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away, when a body has been stripped down to its nakedness. "

Great pick up! I would not say a step back. More like a sidestep. I haven't looked into these before. Off to the rabbit hole I go. :lol:
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
iain
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

If you are happy with it, then it’s not a backward step. It’s a beautiful chronograph, by the way. :thumbup:
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
iain
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

As lovely as the Polaris was, I think that St Expurey is an absolutely stunning chrono and much more “you”, knowing your love for IWC. Good move I say :thumbup:
These users thanked the author Thegreyman for the post:
iain
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by nathanclarinet »

So you all know I am an unashamed IWC fanboy. Therefore this won’t come as a surprise - awesome watch Iain! Congratulations and definitely not a backward step imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author nathanclarinet for the post:
iain
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

IWC are a wonderful brand and your latest is a great looking watch.

On a personal note I have been there and done that.

My 1999 JLC Gran Sport bracketed my 2006 Rolex AirKing and 2001 Rolex Submariner.

A very expensive lesson.

other-brands/a-salutary-tale-t19785.htm ... rt#p243815

scooter
These users thanked the author scooter for the post:
iain
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

I remember reading that tale Scooter, I wasn’t on the from at the time but I think you’ve shared it again since. We all live and learn.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Sorry Iain, I didn't mean to repeat myself.

Another sign of getting older I'm afraid.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

@scooter I’ve repeated myself in my OP and if you hadn’t I wouldn’t have seen it in the first place.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
scooter
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

A lovely looking dial. :thumbup:

Never a backward step if it is what you want.

Had you not switched now it may have ended up being a weightier decision. You would then have been selling a watch you had purchased to mark your 20th anniversary. Whereas now…

You ended up buying a watch on the date of the anniversary. :)

Congratulations.

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post:
iain
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

^^^^^^
What @nbg said.
That is about as gorgeous a chronograph as I've seen. And I hadn't seen one of these until now.
And amplified by a very interesting back-story, all the better for it.
These users thanked the author Noush for the post:
iain
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.