Can a screw down crown unscrew itself?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Can a screw down crown unscrew itself?

Post by RichM »

I think I'm imagining it, but can a screw-in crown work its way loose again?

I've noticed after a few wears, the crown on my C65 chrono needs tightening. I'm happy to live with it like that and just get into the habit of checking now and then (I take it off even to do the washing up!) but wondered if anyone else has found something similar.

Here's a pic of mine...

IMG_8815.JPG
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Can a screw down crown unscrew itself?

Post by exHowfener »

It probably can. I would expect that if your wrist is in contact with the crown, some movement is possible. Screws can and do work loose, that's why people use thread lock - though not on your crown!
These users thanked the author exHowfener for the post:
RichM
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

exHowfener wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:06 pm It probably can. I would expect that if your wrist is in contact with the crown, some movement is possible. Screws can and do work loose, that's why people use thread lock - though not on your crown!
And it must be possible for casual crown/wrist movement to do the opposite and actually tighten the crown.
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
RichM
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

It might be possible, but I've never experienced it myself. Not even with my C65 Chronograph.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
ste007db
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 3

Post by ste007db »

I had this happen a couple of times with my Sealander. I just assumed that I wasn’t tightening it sufficiently and now make sure to screw it down tight. Not had it happen since.
These users thanked the author ste007db for the post:
RichM
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Apparently there’s this thing in car maintenance or building houses called tightening something ‘finger tight’. Or so they tell me anyway. Us girls never got taught this at school. So all I can say is that when I tighten a screw down crown I tighten it so hard that I can’t unscrew it next time. Us girls missed out on a lot at school. I think football, cars and golf has more to do with genetics :lol:
Happy to help :D
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 3):
RichMmagicmanthomcat00
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

I have heard of it in diving circles especially if you are wearing gloves and doing work. I don't recall ever hearing about it under normal diving conditions. Most divers I know check the crown a lot from habit. They give it a twist after putting it on in the morning and again before getting in the water.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
RichM
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by RichM »

missF wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:29 pm Apparently there’s this thing in car maintenance or building houses called tightening something ‘finger tight’. Or so they tell me anyway. Us girls never got taught this at school. So all I can say is that when I tighten a screw down crown I tighten it so hard that I can’t unscrew it next time. Us girls missed out on a lot at school. I think football, cars and golf has more to do with genetics :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Winning answer!
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

missF wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:29 pm Apparently there’s this thing in car maintenance or building houses called tightening something ‘finger tight’. Or so they tell me anyway. Us girls never got taught this at school. So all I can say is that when I tighten a screw down crown I tighten it so hard that I can’t unscrew it next time. Us girls missed out on a lot at school. I think football, cars and golf has more to do with genetics :lol:
The only exercise, I do regularly, is with hand Grippers, I'm the only one in my household who can open the stopper of a hot water bottle.
So I'd like to think my exercise regime, means my finger tightness threshold is of a superior nature.
Although it can lead to heavy handedness, another unquantifiable force.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
RichM
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

You missed out on football and golf? Wow! That's a result!! :lol:
magicman wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:13 pm

The only exercise, I do regularly, is with hand Grippers, I'm the only one in my household who can open the stopper of a hot water bottle.
So I'd like to think my exercise regime, means my finger tightness threshold is of a superior nature.
Although it can lead to heavy handedness, another unquantifiable force.

Regards Steve
I think that, philosophically at least, inability to unstopper the hottie is akin to being unable to screw caps back onto jars of chutney/jam/mustard/etc more than one eighth of a turn: you know, that "get you partway across the room before coming apart phenomenon. :thumbdown:
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post (total 2):
magicmanRichM
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

My wife is four years older than me. When she attended middle school (grades 6-8), two years of shop class was boys only, and girls took home economics class (cooking, sewing, health) for three years. Boys had the option to take shop or health for the third year. My wife even petitioned to get one year of shop but was turned down.

My middle school - granted it was a different US state so regulations and requirements vary - when I went through only four years later, mandated everyone took a year of home econ, and everyone took a year of shop (upgraded to Industrial Arts). The third year was optional home ec, IA, or an additional fine arts/music/theater. Golf and auto mechanics were high school classes. Since I was on the “college track” in high school, no auto mechanics class for me, though I’m certain I could have done it, too, with my course load. Golf was a fave of my father and grandfather. I don’t care for it.

As for threaded crowns, I’ve heard of it happening but in thirty plus years of wearing watches with them I’ve not had one unscrew. (My earlier years of digital watches obviously don’t count.)
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post (total 2):
missFRichM
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Superthrust
Senior
Senior

Post by Superthrust »

Ofcourse, all you need is the same conditions that normally allow you to unscrew the crown but sans the intention.
These users thanked the author Superthrust for the post:
RichM
Steve260

Post by Steve260 »

I purchased my first watch with a screw-down crown in 1996 (an Omega Seamaster Pro 300), but I have never experienced a screw-down crown working loose on its' own. I am sure it happens occasionally, but fortunately it has not happened to me.
These users thanked the author Steve260 for the post:
RichM
Greatpotfarm
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by Greatpotfarm »

Yes it can, especially if not screwed down tight enough. Torque it down a bit harder than you usually do, and see what happens...
These users thanked the author Greatpotfarm for the post:
RichM
Top of the minute to you all,
Dan