LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: The Golf Topic

Post by Kip »

Life has been a bit hectic over the past several weeks so not as many rounds in as I would normally have. Finally was able to play today in some decent and warmer weather. Had pretty good focus today and my entire foursome was playing well. The putting by all of us was truly spectacular. Can't say I recall a time when everyone was putting great. The only issues some us had from time to time was getting to the green. I was low with an 82, but the other scores were 83, 83 and 84. Pretty consistent for a foursome.

I am starting to get the hang of that chipper I picked up. I really do like it. I have been trying it from many different distances and lies.

On a side note, I am going for a new record (for me) using the same ball. I have completed 52 holes with the ball I am currently using. It is still in good shape. My personal best is 56 holes before losing or retiring a ball. We shall see how it goes on Thursday!
These users thanked the author Kip for the post:
magicman
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Despite the fact that I played so badly on last weekend lads golf trip to Staverton Park that I wanted to give up for good I have just ordered the new Garmin Approach S70. Have you seen this thing? Unbelievable.
This will be my combined golf/smartwatch going forward so my current Samsung galaxy watch 5 golf edition and annoyingly almost brand new Garmin S12 golf watch will be up for grabs if any one wants them.
Cheers now, Paul
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

@stefs - seems you are becoming Borg... next generation of AI golfer. They’ll be needing to blood test you for anabolic nanotechnology before your next round :lol:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
stefs
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

stefs wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:28 pm Despite the fact that I played so badly on last weekend lads golf trip to Staverton Park that I wanted to give up for good I have just ordered the new Garmin Approach S70. Have you seen this thing? Unbelievable.
This will be my combined golf/smartwatch going forward so my current Samsung galaxy watch 5 golf edition and annoyingly almost brand new Garmin S12 golf watch will be up for grabs if any one wants them.
Keep buying every golf/smartwatch out there - I'm sure you'll find the right 1 in the end :D :thumbup:

Seriously though, I didn't know Garmin were bringing out new golf watches so thanks for the info.
That S70 looks very serious stuff, the pictorial view of the hole and green looks amazing considering it's being displayed on a watch dial but the 47mm is a bit big although not overly thick so I wonder how comfortable it'd be on the golf course, particularly if you're having to wear waterproofs or warm jumper/top - did you go for the 42mm or 47mm?

Make sure you switch off the "plays like" feature in competitive rounds.

Maybe the Shotscope order didn't go well for a reason !

Best of luck and please keep us updated.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

What can I say... I like a gadget :lol:
I went for the 42. That's big enough thank you.
Matbe this will actually be a genuinely good smartwatch and golf watch. Not easy to actually find one that excels at both and still has a decent battery life.
I don't think there is one out there year that nails everything. I think the apple watch is close if you are in the ios ecosystem and happy with a third party golf app but the battery life could still be much better ideally.
The s70 ticks a lot of boxes but still lacks some smarts such as google assistant, google pay and maps. I do use the pay function quite a lot with my samsung.
Will let you know if it can be recommended
Cheers now, Paul
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Sad to see that the fabulous Michael Block had a disastrous first round in the Charles Schwab tournament. In his first round he missed fairway after fairway but from memory was only 3 over after 13 or 14. He scrambled in a wonderful fashion as it seems very hard if you missed the fairway. On one hole his shot ended on a paved bridge. Rather than take a penalty drop he played it from there and still made a par. Something must have gone wrong in the last few holes, as he ended plus 11, and last in the field. Such a shame after his exploits in the PGA. He still seemed in good spirits. I hope he gets a couple more wild cards, and look forward to seeing him in the PGA next year. :D
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Following my 2 posts towards the end of April my new driver arrived a few weeks ago, coincidentally on my birthday, so I've been using that in the last 3 rounds. It hasn't quite set my golfing world on fire yet but it has shown plenty of promise that's more than enough for me to realise it's more suited than my previous driver, as hoped for because it was spec'd via a Trackman fitting.

I visited the British Golf Show last weekend hoping to get a good look at putters from various brands including Scotty Cameron as they were listed as 1 of the exhibitors. However SC didn't have their own stand but were represented, along with many other brands, by a local fitter/supplier so I didn't bother waiting for a trial.

Instead I booked a putter fitting for today at a club fitter company that use the Quintic analysis system. Loads of measurements and stats showing exactly what is happening when putter and ball make contact so other putters can be tried to improve the poorer elements of strike and ball roll without diminishing the already good stats. Very interesting, worthwhile and good value for the cost which was less than shown on their website.

There were plenty of different brands and styles to choose several for fitting comparisons and ultimately 1 brand and model gave the best results within my skill level and this was actually the same putter that I felt was top for feel and performance when I was able to try several on a demo day some weeks ago.

I haven't bought it yet though as it is an expensive piece and I'd like to find a stockist where I can try it on a real grass putting area, which probably means a shop on a golf course, to make sure I'm making the right choice.
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Currently fustrated.
I feel like I've improved my good shots, and at the same time got worse, overall.
Basically, if I hit a good shot, it's a big improvement on my previous seasons efforts, but also the bad shots seem to have increased.
Due to having a bigger discrepancy in the good and bad shots, Overshooting some greens has now become a problem, I generally used to come up short.
I've got a block of lessons booked, so fingers crossed, we can get some kind of consistency into my game.
Still enjoying it, and I don't stay frustrated for long, maybe I should stick to the range, I don't have a problem there at the moment.

P.s.

Any Essex based golfers, I can highly recommend Top Meadow, Upminster.

£12.50 for a twilight round from 2.30pm.
And a great course in really good condition, absolute bargain.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Morning Golf chums. I'm reading a golf tips book I found in the loft, but it's quite old so one/some of the rules/tips may be outdated. It refers to having someone tend the flag, when off the green. It says they can raise it up high, so if the shot is blind, a player can see the pin position. The R and A rules pictured are a bit vague. I can think of numerous times, when having someone on the green, when hitting over trees or hedges for example would be of huge benefit, but it seems a bit too much to ask someone to tend the flag when your 50-200 yds out.
Screenshot_20230603_231336_Chrome.jpg
Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

I have a practically new garmin approach s12 if anyone fancies it at mates rates. I only had it a couple of weeks and then garmin released the s70 (which me being me I obviously bought :lol: )
Cheers now, Paul
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

Well first post on this here thread after quitting this game 23 years ago when i put 3 clubs over my knee and 1 in the pond in 1 round!!! Promised id never pick up another club and havent..... hadnt...... :shock:

Roll on to last year and i got a bit hammered and got talked in to joining a few pals on a golf trip abroad.
"Just drive the buggy" they said. "Just come for the crack and beers" they said....

Well i went to a 5* hotel in turkey for a week, had a blast, ate and drank myself inside out, played 3 rounds, including a night round on fully flood lit course (that was an eye opener!!!) And loved it. Made several pars and a couple birdies.... congrats....? No not at all.....

Wind it on 9 months and ive spent a fortune on new bats and gear, i cant stop playing on my days off and cant get any better. If anyone knows the location of a decent time machine (other than jim beam) please let me know!!!!!

Just got rid of a scotty newport 2 putter as i couldnt hit my bag from 3yds away with it!!!
Guy in the golf shop ran through lots of tech stuff and said as im a high handicapper, a mallett or spider is what i need.
For what i sold my scotty for, i picked up a taylor made and im now a putting god! (Well i rarely 3 putt so in my world thats the nuts!)
These users thanked the author Dickchins for the post (total 2):
Morphine6magicman
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Deleted ad for clubs as now sold

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

Went out for 9 holes this morning. Started with a quintuple bogey 9 on the first hole :thumbdown: then played the next 8 holes at +4 for a total +9 45. I hate this game. I love this game!
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Dickchins wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:40 pm
Just got rid of a scotty newport 2 putter as i couldnt hit my bag from 3yds away with it!!!
Guy in the golf shop ran through lots of tech stuff and said as im a high handicapper, a mallett or spider is what i need.
For what i sold my scotty for, i picked up a taylor made and im now a putting god! (Well i rarely 3 putt so in my world thats the nuts!)
You're the 2nd person I'm aware of that has sold their Scotty Newport 2 in the past 4 weeks even though Scotty's are considered by many golfers to be the ultimate putters to have, despite their high costs.

Just goes to show that the level of expense and reputation in golf equipment isn't always in direct relationship to how much it can affect someone's golf for good or bad. However neither is purely the style of putters directly related to level of handicap.

Other high handicappers shouldn't think putting problems can be fixed purely by buying a mallet or spider style, it's not quite as simple as that. Putter shape, length, weight, loft, alignment guides, your type of putting stroke etc etc will affect the level of proficiency at putting. So for some high handicappers a blade might suit better and equally mallets or spiders can help low handicappers. Look at the mix amongst professional golfers - McIlroy plays a full mallet putter (presently).

Anyhow, you now have a putter that seems to be working for you and hopefully the success with the new Taylor Made will continue.

As for my putter, I'm awaiting delivery of a Scotty Cameron but not a blade or indeed any of their Super Select models and the positive feature of Scottys is that in good condition they hold their value, a bonus in case I don't get on with it :D
These users thanked the author Mikkei4 for the post:
Dickchins
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

The frustration of this game, Our home course has changed, they have left the rough to grow and it means accuracy has become a factor, not good for me, but I've had a lesson and its improving.
I had lesson 2 last week, and asked to work on my driving, I'm a big hitter, but slicing is an issue...
To say it went well is an understatement, I was getting some numbers a pro would be happy with.
Some ball speeds up to 180 mph, 280+ Yards, only 30 ft max offline (With a slight drawing ball flight) offline and 75% consistency, bring on those par 5s, White tees etc...
I was so infused with new confidence, I went to the range a day later, and the results were shocking, with the Driver.
Massive slices, 10-15mph off ball speeds, and loads of thin and fat shots. I hit 60 balls and was happy with maybe 2 or 3 drives.

Playing tomorrow, so fingers crossed, for an ON day.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39