Fun Fact Friday

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Fun Fact Friday

Post by richtel »

Many will have heard the name Abraham-Louis Breguet (1747-1823), horological innovator and founder of the Breguet company, now the luxury branch of the Swatch group. Regarded as the leading watchmaker of his day.

Someone who studied under him in Paris in 1822 was a young Isambard Kingdom Brunel, later to become arguably Britain's greatest engineer, responsible for many of the country's engineering marvels- Great Western Railway, Paddington Station, Clifton Suspension Bridge and the SS Great Britain amongst many acheivements.

Untitled-1.jpg
These users thanked the author richtel for the post (total 10):
Amor Vincit OmniamissFChris GBmagicmanwatchaholicwelshladPaul DrawmerStifThunder1Soporsche
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Fun Fact Friday

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Now that I didn’t know. Thanks for sharing; maybe this topic could develop into a runner?
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
richtel
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by richtel »

Fun fact for Friday 28 April.

We’re all aware that clockwork mechanics have been used for everything from toy trains to animated mechanoids and automatons, but here’s an application for high-end watchmaking of the day.

This is a high end mechanical timer being used to measure the time in flight of bombs dropped from aircraft during WWII. It was made for the Italian Air Force by Universal Geneve and retailed by A. Cairelli Roma. The timer features a modified high beat (36.600) Valjoux 067 movement.

The following is a description of how the timer was used (from Christie’s auction website):

The luminous numerals indicate the distance travelled by a dropped bomb in hm (hectometer: 100 meters). The operator, knowing the launch altitude, would set the arrow at the corresponding distance. Then, he would use the crown to start the timer, and press the button once the hand reached the desired distance to stop it. When the bomb is dropped, one more push on the crown would set the hand in motion counterclockwise, thus starting the countdown to the moment the bomb would reach the ground. At this point, another push on the button would stop the timer, and a last activation of the crown would reset the hand.
IMG_0119.jpeg
These users thanked the author richtel for the post (total 3):
Bahnstormer_vRSwatchaholicStif
Rich

richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by richtel »

Friday 5th May.

The day before the coronation it might be interesting to take a quick look at our King's reported watch collection. It would appear that he's quite the enthusiast with a raft of high end marques.

Patek Philippe 3445 Calatrava
Parmigiani Fleurier 18K
Parmigiani Fleurier Toric Chronograph.
Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso
Cartier Santos
Breguet (custom)
Hamilton RAF Pilot’s Chronograph
Patek Philippe 2503
Patek Philippe Disco Volante 255
Casio F-91W

Not being familiar with Parmigiani (nope, not related to cheese) I took a look at the collection- https://parmigiani.com/en/. While I'm not sure about some of the styling of some models in the range, there's no doubting the stunning design of the movements.

king-charles-watch-5.jpg
king-charles-watch-4.jpg
king-charles-watch-6.jpg
king-charles-watch-3.jpg
king-charles-watch-2.jpg
king-charles-watch-1-1200x800.jpg

Yep, I might have been kidding about the Casio ;)
These users thanked the author richtel for the post (total 9):
missFChris375Bahnstormer_vRSjkbarnesrkovarswatchaholicThunder1nbgSoporsche
Rich

RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by RichM »

^^^ I really enjoyed this - thank you!
These users thanked the author RichM for the post:
richtel
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by richtel »

Friday 12th May

We're all familiar with pocket watches which we can imagine being pulled from a waistcoat pocket on a long elaborate chain for inspection by a well-heeled gentleman with a magnificent beard. Well, I do anyway. But what was there before the pocket watch?

One possible candidate predates the traditional pocket watch and goes by the unlikely name of the Nuremberg Egg.

Nuremberg in the 15th century was home to some of the world's best craftspeople and blacksmiths of the time and the refinement of the torsion spring around 1530 (sometimes credited to a Peter Henlein of Nuremberg but already in widespread use) made it possible to reduce the size of gravity-driven tall clocks to something that could be small enough to place on a table or a shelf. Further size reduction led to something that could actually be carried or held in the hand. Variants were in a general spherical or flattened format and could be carried in a purse or worn on a cord or chain around the neck.

The origin of the reference to an 'Egg' is less about the shape and more about the language derivation of 'little clock' but indeed some were oval. Some were even built into a large perforated spherical ball to resemble a golden pomander.

It's easy to imagine how such curiosities, with further refinement and miniaturisation through the 16th and 17th century, inevitably led the Nuremberg Egg evolution into the pocket watch we'd all recognise.

main-qimg-038014965ba506fbd3b4e0295e97d965-lq.jpg
main-qimg-3ffaa4ef7e957a4663d143e9231bbfad-lq.jpg
1280px-PHN_-_Watch_1505.jpeg

There's a great article at https://www.daviddugganwatches.co.uk/on ... l-mystery/
These users thanked the author richtel for the post (total 3):
watchaholicgannetChris GB
Rich

richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by richtel »

Friday 19 May

Some higher end watch straps are made from shell cordovan leather. But do you know where it’s from?

Shell cordovan or cordovan is a type of leather made from the fibrous flat connective tissue (or shell) rear end of a horse- yep, it’s equine leather. The name comes from the city of Cordoba, Spain where it was first produced by the Visigoths in the seventh century.
IMG_1095.png
These users thanked the author richtel for the post (total 4):
Chris GBThunder1Bahnstormer_vRSSoporsche
Rich

ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

No way! I always wondered about cordovan leather. Now I know, thanks!
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Love this thread :clap:
(And I’m off to learn about Visigoths too :lol: )
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

Regretting that Cordovan Steak I had last week.

Regrets Steve
These users thanked the author magicman for the post:
Deej
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Deej
Senior
Senior

Post by Deej »

magicman wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:23 am Regretting that Cordovan Steak I had last week.

Regrets Steve
:lol:

Cordovan Findus crispy pancakes anyone?
These users thanked the author Deej for the post (total 3):
magicmanmissFChris GB
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

richtel wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:39 am Friday 19 May

Some higher end watch straps are made from shell cordovan leather. But do you know where it’s from?

Shell cordovan or cordovan is a type of leather made from the fibrous flat connective tissue (or shell) rear end of a horse- yep, it’s equine leather. The name comes from the city of Cordoba, Spain where it was first produced by the Visigoths in the seventh century.

IMG_1095.png
This I knew! I was always under the impression though that it’s technically not leather, as it’s not actually hide. I only say that because anytime I spoke of cordovan as a leather, there was always that guy who said, “Well, it’s not actually a leather. That’s a common misperception.”

For the longest time, I thought cordovan simply referred to a color! Specifically, the burgundy color of classic penny loafers.

I never knew the bit about the Visigoths. That’s cool! Now I will forever picture Visigoths wearing burgundy colored cordovan penny loafers!

By the way, I’m not trying to be “that guy.”
Drew
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Deej wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:34 am
magicman wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:23 am Regretting that Cordovan Steak I had last week.

Regrets Steve
:lol:

Cordovan Findus crispy pancakes anyone?
Many years ago I remember ordering beef wellington in a pub. The service was rather slow. When our food finally arrived I cut into my beef wellington, to find….

That it was salmon en croûte! :lol:

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post:
Deej
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by richtel »

Friday 26 May

We've all seen sunburst dials on a watch- the brushed lines that magically reflect light radially from the centre of the dial and appear to rotate as you move the watch. But how are those made?

For most sunburst dials, it's actually really simple- the effect is brushed onto the dial with a large diameter stiff brush wheel at high speed as the dial is rotated. The dial is then layered with transparent coloured paint or enamel.

Here's a video of a machine making the brushed dials. It's likely that the two large wheels on the machine are of different grade- first a coarse brush, then a finer brush to achieve a uniform brush effect.

There are other ways to achieve similar effects. One way is by hand. AnOrdain made sunburst dials by hand- each line being painstakingly etched by drawing a tool across the surface of the dial- a process taking 100 hours and ultimately leading to a watch costing $6000.

These users thanked the author richtel for the post (total 2):
missFSoporsche
Rich

iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

@richtel Thanks for that video, I have wondered how this effect was achieved. I suppose the challenge is getting the speeds of those two wheels exactly right so the brushed lines run straight.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
richtel
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.