Would I need to wear my soon to be new automatic every day?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
adriatikfan
CW-watches: 0

Would I need to wear my soon to be new automatic every day?

Post by adriatikfan »

Hi - I'm just about to make my first purchase and adore the look of the C5SWT, the Malvern Automatic.

My problem is that I probably wouldn,t want to wear it every day. I work in a very large school and am often needing to walk round the site, visiting colleagues, talking to pupils etc., and there are many many opportunities for my watches to take minor hits, becoming scuffed and/or scratched, so on particular days I would want to wear a cheaper beater.

So - how many hours a day would I need to wear an automatic to keep it fully functioning? Or - could I wear it every second day? Or - would I need to purchase a winder to keep it going?

What do those of you with automatics do?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer.

Best Wishes
David
JoshK
CW-watches: 0

Re: Would I need to wear my soon to be new automatic every d

Post by JoshK »

adriatikfan wrote:Hi - I'm just about to make my first purchase and adore the look of the C5SWT, the Malvern Automatic.

My problem is that I probably wouldn,t want to wear it every day. I work in a very large school and am often needing to walk round the site, visiting colleagues, talking to pupils etc., and there are many many opportunities for my watches to take minor hits, becoming scuffed and/or scratched, so on particular days I would want to wear a cheaper beater.

So - how many hours a day would I need to wear an automatic to keep it fully functioning? Or - could I wear it every second day? Or - would I need to purchase a winder to keep it going?

What do those of you with automatics do?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer.

Best Wishes
David
I am not sure exactly on how long you should wear an automatic to keep it running smooth each day, though watch winders can be had for a relatively modest price.

Just a thought, one of the greatest things about CW watches, at least in my opinion, is their modest price. Though I am currently wearing a CW as my everyday watch, because of the price, I am not concerned at all about it taking some "bumps and/or bruises".

Cheers.

Josh 8)
JoshK
Hans
Administrator Emeritus - Founder
CW-watches: 7
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Hans »

The C5 has a ETA 2824-2 movement with a power-reserve between 38-42 hours. This means that if the watch is fully wound, and you don't wear it, it wil stop after approx. 40 hours.

You don't have to wear the C5 every day, it's also not a problem if the watch stops after more than 40 hours. This is not bad for the movement, you only have to wind the watch by hand a few turns and set it to the correct time again.

And I personally don't like watch-winders, an automatic is meant to make life easier, and I think it is a bit silly to put it on an automatic winder...