New Trident C60 Issues

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
dannett1

New Trident C60 Issues

Post by dannett1 »

I recently bought the newly redesigned Trident C60 in 38mm. I was super excited as I bought a used mk. 2 a few years ago and it made me quit collecting watches because I never took it off my wrist. I think the new model looks amazing and when I got it, I was not disappointed. The new bezel is beautiful, it's incredibly comfortable to wear, and I quite honestly loved it. However, a week after I got it, the movement started seizing up on me during winding. I sent it back for replacement or repair, which was a super easy process, great customer service. But now, the watch I got back is broken after 3 weeks. Not sure if I was sent a replacement or a repair (my fault for not writing down the old serial number), but the movement seized up again while winding and the crown shaft broke. Not sure if I just got unlucky with a dud or if there is a design flaw. REALLY wanted to love this watch, but sadly sending back for a refund. Anyone else with issues related to their new C60?
Ducs4rs
Junior
Junior

Re: New Trident C60 Issues

Post by Ducs4rs »

Just curious - did you buy it brand new, or was it one of those "Nearly New" ones that come up for sale every now and then?
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Personally I've not experienced any problem with any CW watch - ever in fact.
I'm assuming that you are winding the watch as per the instruction manual and also (apologies but....) you aren't just naturally really really ham-fisted?
Are you winding it on the crown in preference to letting the movement and the rotor take care of this, you know, automatically?
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Stuart1
Senior
Senior

Post by Stuart1 »

I have two of the new C60 300 so far both have been great. For me, I have never manually wound an automatic watch. I usually follow the old Seiko principal, rock the watch gently get some power in the main spring and then set. Usually gravity does the rest and the watch works.
This works even if you have a couple of watches in rotation,40 power reserve included. I personally don’t have a watch winder and when not wearing watch it powers down.
dannett1

Post by dannett1 »

Bought this brand new and wound it a few times each morning, same as I've done with my Trident mk. 2 since I bought it a few years ago. At one point I even let it expend it's entire power reserve and still had the stickiness during winding. I've got 8 other automatics, and I've never come across this issue before. Hope I just got a dud 'cause it's a damn near perfect watch IMO. Probably need to give it one more shot. Maybe the third time's the charm?
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

dannett1 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:05 pm Bought this brand new and wound it a few times each morning, same as I've done with my Trident mk. 2 since I bought it a few years ago. At one point I even let it expend it's entire power reserve and still had the stickiness during winding. I've got 8 other automatics, and I've never come across this issue before. Hope I just got a dud 'cause it's a damn near perfect watch IMO. Probably need to give it one more shot. Maybe the third time's the charm?
Unless, with your mk1 optical equipment, you can see gunk/dirt/fluff around the winding stem when the crown is right out, I fancy not. You could consider the alternative: doing it again might push it from "slight problem" to "completely bust" :shock: but I hope not.

Send CW an email describing the issue and await further instructions.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

^^^ In my anecdotal experience, incoming service checks can be hit or miss. I had a Dartmouth with the 'spinning rotor' syndrome and it would lose hack when you went to set the time. Sent it in under warranty. I explained clearly on the form what the issues were. I got the watch back and the rotor was fixed, but when I went to set the watch as soon as I moved the hands it lost hack. Just like it did before. Sent it in a second time and came back solid. Haven't had any issues since. My C60 also developed the spinning rotor and sent that in under warranty. Got it back and it is running better than when I first got it.

I fully understand that crap happens. I just felt like my observations on the Dartmouth were ignored and it was obvious that no one in QC tried to set the time. I would have been more upset if it wasn't under warranty and shipping was on my dime. Since shipping was always on CW and the work covered I wasn't too upset about it. I only lost out on time with one of my favorites.

Your issue sounds like something binding in the winding works. That isn't good. It could also be a variation of the spinning rotor but at a much worse level.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

Sorry you’re having issues with the new watch. Seems it needs a return trip to CW. Knock wood, I have not experienced any issues with my CW watches thus far.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair