Problems with Aquitaine finishing on handset

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Ducs4rs
Junior
Junior

Problems with Aquitaine finishing on handset

Post by Ducs4rs »

I know that there were some problems with finishing of the hands on some Aquitaine models in the past. Does anybody know when CW caught on to this and started to remedy this issue?

I'm thinking of buying a used one that was purchased in Aug 2022, and I'm wondering if this the finishing issue was still prevalent around this time.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Re: Problems with Aquitaine finishing on handset

Post by scooter »

Perhaps it would be helpful if you identified exactly what the problems you refer to are and cite the sources of your information.

I am not aware of this.

scooter
These users thanked the author scooter for the post:
tikkathree
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Ducs4rs
Junior
Junior

Post by Ducs4rs »

scooter wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:09 am Perhaps it would be helpful if you identified exactly what the problems you refer to are and cite the sources of your information.

I am not aware of this.

scooter
Apparently, some models had an issue with having a lot of scratches on the hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_tDkfWvnAg

Check it out starting from the 2:19 mark. IIRC, CW acknowledged this as well and, at some point, even delayed production to get a better batch of handsets.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Thank you for that specific response.

I'll leave it to someone else now to answer your query.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Ducs4rs wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:59 am
scooter wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:09 am Perhaps it would be helpful if you identified exactly what the problems you refer to are and cite the sources of your information.

I am not aware of this.

scooter
Apparently, some models had an issue with having a lot of scratches on the hands.

Check it out starting from the 2:19 mark. IIRC, CW acknowledged this as well and, at some point, even delayed production to get a better batch of handsets.
I'm not watching the video but I have just looked at all thirty-nine comments attached to the video and only one respondent says they've got a problem on their watch: "I've got scratches on the movement". On the other hand (pun alert) there are plenty of respondents reporting flawless hand sets.

If you are looking to buy a pre-owned example the least you can do is ask the seller to provide an honest appraisal and maybe even macro photos.
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
scooter
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Ducs4rs
Junior
Junior

Post by Ducs4rs »

tikkathree wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:23 am
Ducs4rs wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:59 am

I am not aware of this.

scooter

I'm not watching the video but I have just looked at all thirty-nine comments attached to the video and only one respondent says they've got a problem on their watch: "I've got scratches on the movement". On the other hand (pun alert) there are plenty of respondents reporting flawless hand sets.

If you are looking to buy a pre-owned example the least you can do is ask the seller to provide an honest appraisal and maybe even macro photos.
Sounds like good advice. I'll definitely get some macro photos - hope the hands are clean.
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

Agreed, get closeup photos of the watch from the seller. But as to there being general finishing issues with the handset, I seem to recall that was just with a couple of YouTube reviewers. I don’t think I saw anything from “regular” buyers concerned with the quality of the Aquitaine hands.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Clandeboye

Post by Clandeboye »

I ordered and just received a new "Orca black" Aquitane GMT just his week, and there are no flaws at all, even under high magnification. You have to handle one of these to really appreciate - as others have said, the pictures do not do it full justice. I am a fussy guy, and my sense is you could order one of these with confidence.

Remember the 60/60 guarantee as well - you could always return a watch that arrived with cosmetic flaws or malfunctions. I returned a bracelet for one of my Trident 300 Pro watches because it arrived with the micro adjustment jammed, and it was replaced without any issues.
These users thanked the author Clandeboye for the post:
tikkathree
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

thomcat00 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 1:41 am Agreed, get closeup photos of the watch from the seller. But as to there being general finishing issues with the handset, I seem to recall that was just with a couple of YouTube reviewers. I don’t think I saw anything from “regular” buyers concerned with the quality of the Aquitaine hands.
It's not always easy to get in focus images with some eBay vendors, never mind macro shots. :D
Clandeboye

Post by Clandeboye »

Oh, did not realized you were looking at a watch from a second hand seller. Did you wind up buying that watch?